Did the Battle of Jutland Really Matter?

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

decaro

Post by decaro »

from War is Boring:

"A century ago, the two greatest fleets of the industrial age fought an inconclusive battle in the North Sea.

"The British Grand Fleet and the German High Seas Fleet fielded a total of 58 dreadnought battleships and battlecruisers, ships over the twice the size of most modern surface combatants. Including smaller ships, the battle included 250 vessels in total.

"The two fleets fought to a draw, with the Germans inflicting more casualties, but still being lucky to escape alive. The Grand Fleet could very easily have annihilated the Germans, an outcome which, however tragic, would not have moved the needle on the rest of the war...."

https://warisboring.com/did-the-battle- ... .yrgiz2gxt
Stratford, Connecticut, U.S.A.[center]Image[/center]
[center]"The Angel of Okinawa"[/center]
Home of the Chance-Vought Corsair, F4U
The best fighter-bomber of World War II
Capt. Harlock

RE: Did the Battle of Jutland Really Matter?

Post by Capt. Harlock »

The Grand Fleet could very easily have annihilated the Germans, an outcome which, however tragic, would not have moved the needle on the rest of the war...."

I have to disagree on that one. Even if the Allies were still not able to successfully invade Germany proper, the destruction of the High Seas Fleet would have opened up several possibilities. It could have accomplished what the Dardanelles Campaign failed to do: open a supply route to Russia. A close blockade might have throttled the German submarine campaign, making the decision to wage unrestricted submarine warfare irrelevant. No U. S. entry into the war, and no Russian revolution, and the world would look rather different today.

On the other hand, a German victory would have created immense problems for Great Britain. It was true that the German capital ships were not suitable for raiding, but there were a number of cruisers that were. A handful of Confederate raiders crippled U. S. merchant shipping during the Civil War. Why couldn't German surface raiders and submarines have starved the British war effort into collapse if the High Seas Fleet could open the way for them? Certainly the Admiralty saw this as a real danger, for they described Jellicoe as "the only man who could lose the war in an afternoon".
Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo
decaro

Post by decaro »

ORIGINAL: Capt. Harlock
... Why couldn't German surface raiders and submarines have starved the British war effort into collapse if the High Seas Fleet could open the way for them? Certainly the Admiralty saw this as a real danger, for they described Jellicoe as "the only man who could lose the war in an afternoon".

But did Germany have enough subs in WW I?

In 1901, Adm. von Tirpitz had dismissed subs as a waste of money. So when war broke out, the British had three times as many subs as did the Germans.

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/ane ... rine-1914/
Stratford, Connecticut, U.S.A.[center]Image[/center]
[center]"The Angel of Okinawa"[/center]
Home of the Chance-Vought Corsair, F4U
The best fighter-bomber of World War II
catwhoorg

Post by catwhoorg »

A Royal Naval Victory would have had relatively little effect I think.

As Capt. Harlock covered, a High Seas fleet Decisive victory, would have had huge ramifications.
Jellicoe, needed to "not lose" far more than he needed to win.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Capt. Harlock
The Grand Fleet could very easily have annihilated the Germans, an outcome which, however tragic, would not have moved the needle on the rest of the war...."

I have to disagree on that one. Even if the Allies were still not able to successfully invade Germany proper, the destruction of the High Seas Fleet would have opened up several possibilities. It could have accomplished what the Dardanelles Campaign failed to do: open a supply route to Russia. A close blockade might have throttled the German submarine campaign, making the decision to wage unrestricted submarine warfare irrelevant. No U. S. entry into the war, and no Russian revolution, and the world would look rather different today.
warspite1

I would agree with this. I also wonder what effect it would have on morale at home - not least the Kaiser's mind-set given his attachment to his fleet. I am only talking about a real slaughtering of the battlefleet here.

As a land power, the German navy of course did not have the same meaning (or importance) to the German people that the RN did to the British, but a massive defeat coming two years into a war in which there is no end in sight? You never know.
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
sullafelix

Post by sullafelix »

The number of submarines didn't matter it is what they were used for.

Some powers thought that they should be used against other naval forces.

The Germans were the first ones to think of using them against merchant fleets.

Germany and Austria-Hungary starve tom death in WWI, if Jellicoe lost no more blockade.
Windows 7 home premium 64
Intel quad core I7
16 gig
AMD R9 200 series

Di! Ecce hora! Uxor mea me necabit!
CV60

Post by CV60 »

Shameless plug here: To illustrate the use of wargames to teach, I'm doing an AAR refighting the war in the North Sea, using the Steam and Iron campaign game. The AAR is here:
http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=16935.0
“Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?” -Abraham Lincoln
E

Post by E »

ORIGINAL: Joe D.
I believe it definitely made some monetary difference for MANY game companies. If the battle had not been fought, who would've bought all those incarnations of games across multiple platforms. From backyards to living room floors to dining room tabletops to computers to electronic leashes*?

* - Oops, I think you people call them "cell phones."
"Lose" is the opposite of "win." "Loose" is the opposite of "tight."

Friends Don't Let Friends Facebook.

Twitter is for... (wait for it!) ...Twits!
wworld7

Post by wworld7 »

Yes
Flipper
Capt. Harlock

Post by Capt. Harlock »

But did Germany have enough subs in WW I?

Yes, they did. Perhaps not in 1914-1915, but they produced more, and in April 1917, they sank over 800,000 tons of Allied merchant shipping. To the best of my knowledge, this exceeds any monthly total that Hitler's U-boats managed in WWII.
Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo
Speedysteve

Post by Speedysteve »

It also exceeded monthly Allied production and was a major concern....
WitE 2 Tester
WitE Tester
BTR/BoB Tester
Ostwindflak

Post by Ostwindflak »

By this point I would say Gun Boat Diplomacy was at an end. The British could have obliterated the German navy, but it would have never forced them into a peace agreement. So the assessment that it would have made little difference I feel holds true.

Return to “General Discussion”