Future of DC series

VR designs has been reinforced with designer Cameron Harris and the result is a revolutionary new operational war game 'Barbarossa' that plays like none other. It blends an advanced counter pushing engine with deep narrative, people management and in-depth semi-randomized decision systems.

Moderators: Vic, lancer

Tophat1815

Future of DC series

Post by Tophat1815 »

Haven't made the purchase yet,but will later today with DC3. Vic are you going to finish the war in the east with including 42' through 45' with the new system? Are you planning on doing the western front? If it's been answered before and my inability to use the search function is on display don't tell anybody![;)]
RyanCrierie

RE: Future of DC series

Post by RyanCrierie »

I got it on Steam and I'm currently liking what I see -- I haven't even actually moved anything yet lol, but I like the way you've tried to implement what-ifs and paranoia/friction into the game.

I'd love to see a 1942-45 expansion to Barbarossa, taking into account does Operation ROUNDHAMMER/SLEDGEHAMMER happen in 1943 or OVERLORD in 1944?
kosmoface

Post by kosmoface »

I really would like to see a Mediterranen Scenario. The Situation around Malta, Supplys that had to get to North Africa and the Axis and Allied politics on top of that. I think it would create very interesting decisions.
Templer_12

Post by Templer_12 »

ORIGINAL: RyanCrierie
I'd love to see a 1942-45 expansion to Barbarossa, ...
Yes, bring up a DLC!
Tweedledumb

Post by Tweedledumb »

ORIGINAL: Templer

ORIGINAL: RyanCrierie
I'd love to see a 1942-45 expansion to Barbarossa, ...
Yes, bring up a DLC!

I think I'd rather see a new campaign area. France 1944 or Mediterranean 1940-43.
mariovalleemtl

Post by mariovalleemtl »

Rommel in Africa.
Image Image Image
RyanCrierie

Post by RyanCrierie »

Things I'd like to see in a 1942-45 Expansion for Barbarossa:

* The Return of Air Units in a limited form -- perhaps in the form of cards you can play. Historically, the Germans in June 1941 were able to go on the offensive and get complete air superiority on ALL THREE fronts (AGN/AGC/AGS).

Later in the war, this wasn't true. They could only contest a single front at a time due to losses in manpower and machines IIRC.
scout1

Post by scout1 »

A complete 41 thru 45 .... though AI would be a bear .... perhaps limited to a pbem / 2 player version ?
Titan

Post by Titan »

A 1939-42 Western front cover Europe to north Africa would be interesting
Careoran

Post by Careoran »

I would love to see a new DC campaign title based on the full DAK Africa Campaign from 1941 to 1943
(please do not shorten it like you did with Barbarossa, it harms replayability to much)
[:)]

EDIT
Oh and of course an expansion to DC Barbarossa, I like the gameplay (just tried it since yesterday), but as mentioned above I have replayability concerns, extending it to 1943 and then to 1945 (so via 2 expansions maybe) would be great, to have a full eastern campaign with the RPG content

my 2 cents
governato

Post by governato »

Oh and of course an expansion to DC Barbarossa, I like the gameplay (just tried it since yesterday), but as mentioned above I have replayability concerns, extending it to 1943 and then to 1945 (so via 2 expansions maybe) would be great, to have a full eastern campaign with the RPG content

my 2 cents

This is my favorite option as well.
HeinzBaby

Post by HeinzBaby »

what Careoran said.

North Africa Campaign 1940-43 - from O’Connor’s 30,000 throu to Tunisia.

Rommels constant arguments with Berlin & Rome, Churchill’s meddling with British GHQ and US fallout after Kasserine
would creat problems not dissimilar to what you have with Staff in Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa.
Senario's would cover individual Battles eg. Battleaxe, Crusader, Gazala, Kasserine etc.
Heia Safari
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

I may just have mentioned this before....[;)]

If you are going down this route guys - and I pray that you are - please do not limit this to 1941 and Rommel. With DC:B you have been brave and done something different. Don't fall back into the same old, same old.

The Mediterranean deserves to be done properly; THAT'S June 1940 - 1943 NOT 1941 - 1943. The biggie here is the naval war - its so important to the land war, its so finely balanced and so NEEDS to be wargamed!!! [:)] Even if its just by means of cards (hopefully in some detail) the naval aspect cannot be ignored.

As proven with DC:B no need for loads of individual scenarios - just one campaign game Cunningham/Sommerville/Godfroy? vs Campioni/Iachino vs Graziani/Rommell vs Wavell et al. Throw Vichy/Greece/Churchill/Barbarossa/Syria/Malta into the mix through decision cards and wow!

Go on, you know you want to; you know it makes sense [:)]

Of course if you wanted to give the naval game its proper treatment too rather than rely on cards..... well I guess I would just have to learn to live with that decision [:D]
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
Franciscus

Post by Franciscus »

ORIGINAL: warspite1

I may just have mentioned this before....[;)]

If you are going down this route guys - and I pray that you are - please do not limit this to 1941 and Rommel. With DC:B you have been brave and done something different. Don't fall back into the same old, same old.

The Mediterranean deserves to be done properly; THAT'S June 1940 - 1943 NOT 1941 - 1943. The biggie here is the naval war - its so important to the land war, its so finely balanced and so NEEDS to be wargamed!!! [:)] Even if its just by means of cards (hopefully in some detail) the naval aspect cannot be ignored.

As proven with DC:B no need for loads of individual scenarios - just one campaign game Cunningham/Sommerville/Godfroy? vs Campioni/Iachino vs Graziani/Rommell vs Wavell et al. Throw Vichy/Greece/Churchill/Barbarossa/Syria/Malta into the mix through decision cards and wow!

Go on, you know you want to; you know it makes sense [:)]

Of course if you wanted to give the naval game its proper treatment too rather than rely on cards..... well I guess I would just have to learn to live with that decision [:D]

Yes, A North Africa Campaign done well by Vic and Cameron, would probably be my PC wargamer's dream come true.

Ever since the brilliant Desert Rats on Spectrum I am hooked on this campaign and waiting for a game that does it justice.

Please, go for it !

Regards
Former AJE team member
ninja81

Post by ninja81 »

Totally agree: Italian campaign '40 and operation Compass, '41/43 afrika korps campaign, Kasserine pass and Tunisia, finally Italy campaign! (Sicily, Anzio ecc) This cover major scenario in mediterrean sea.
Lascar

Post by Lascar »

+1 to what Warspite1 suggests. June 1940 to the end of the North African campaign with due attention to the important naval aspects of that theater. Extending that to the related Mediterranean campaigns in Greece and in Palestine, Syria and perhaps Iraq.

AZKGungHo

Post by AZKGungHo »

Actually I hadn't thought of this before but now that you mention it I believe you are right. That campaign is just right for this system. Churchill on top on one side, Hitler on the other, but unpredictable and often ordering transfers or troops etc. It could be fantastic IF they can figure out a way to model the naval war. That would be a HUGE addition to the system and very difficult to pull off. But I'd love to see them try.
"In Arduis Fidelis"
Louie Marsh

Books:
Once A Raider… http://tinyurl.com/89mfnnk
Getting Real - http://tinyurl.com/7zhcjlq
Websites:
www.usmcraiders.com
discipleup.org
rocketman71

Post by rocketman71 »

I haven't bought the game yet (I will) but from what I've seen I can see it being adapted to the Bulge. Granted a much smaller scale, but with all the bickering among Allied and German generals about plans, state of alert, allocation of fuel, resting of troops, different major German plans for the entire attack, conflicts between SS and Heer during the battle, as well as the build up from the German side. Could it work?
Romainpek

Post by Romainpek »

I would love to see the 1942 campaign translated to DC3 Barbarossa style. The whole front, not the DC2 hyper detailed version, which I did not like so much. With an option to either start from fresh (historic) or upload the results of January 1942 in DC3.

If necessary, abstract January-June 1942 into x% refit into both camps, then start the new game in June 1942 !
HeinzBaby

Post by HeinzBaby »

Regarding the Naval aspect of a North Africa campaign,
this would have to focus on Supply resources and how effective blockade and strangulation is worked eg. Malta/Tobruk,
which must bring into play opposing Air forces ( Luftwaffe, Regia Aeronautica & Desert Air Force, I presume this would be a massive work-over on the Decisive Campaign engine.
Land combat would be similar to DC3, combat units would be typically Regt/Bde units with a TOE up to Div/Corp/Army level.

I still have a copy of SPI's Campaign for North Africa so it won't be the side show compared to Warsaw to Paris, Case Blue or Barbarosa.
...Northern Europe & Russian focused Sims have been done to death.
Heia Safari

Return to “Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa”