Public Beta for Matrix Version

Victory and Glory: Napoleon is a game of grand strategy and fast-play tactical battles where you take the role of Napoleon Bonaparte and attempt to dominate the entire continent of Europe.
Ron

RE: Public Beta for Matrix Version

Post by Ron »

Yes I don't use Steam either so don't have access to the beta patch. It does seem like an odd choice to not release it here also. For kicks, I browsed the community forum on Steam for this game to see if that's where the action is and it seems just as inactive as here, so more of a head scratcher. I guess the feedback from this community is not desired...
Uncle_Joe

Post by Uncle_Joe »

Well I mean the patch has been out for almost 2 weeks and there has been very little communication since. I (and a few others) who have Steam have tried the patch and provided feedback. Since then we really haven't seen anything in reply.
pzgndr

Post by pzgndr »

ORIGINAL: Iain McNeil
Sorry we haven't been able to get a normal beta out - we just were short of time and it is quicker to get a Steam beta setup

FWIW. Matrix Games should support Matrix Games games with announcements and patches here, on the Matrix Games forum, and not elsewhere. I'm seeing the same thing with Wars of Napoleon posting at AGEOD and not Matrix Games. And now it's Steam, whatever that is? No, no, no.

Please stop doing this. Matrix Games games should be providing priority support for Matrix Games customers right here, not someplace else. Go ahead and provide supplemental support at the "other" sites in addition to this site right here. But please remember where the proper focus should be. Right here, not someplace else.

FWIW. $0.02
Bill Macon
Empires in Arms Developer
Strategic Command Developer
PipFromSlitherine

Post by PipFromSlitherine »

Just to be clear, beta patches are not an official part of the support flow - it's to allow the developer to get feedback on upcoming patches before they release. We don't (and would never) actually release patches without releasing to all sites at pretty much the same time. As Iain says, sometimes Steam is a more sensible choice for beta patches depending upon the build requirements and the community numbers.

Cheers

Pip
follow me on Twitter here
pzgndr

Post by pzgndr »

ORIGINAL: PipFromSlitherine
As Iain says, sometimes Steam is a more sensible choice

Whatever barriers or restrictions or lack of resources are responsible for this Matrix Games site not being the most sensible choice for its Matrix Games developers and customers should really get reconsidered. It just begs the obvious question: Why isn't Matrix Games the most sensible choice?
Bill Macon
Johnus

Post by Johnus »

Pip: To be fair, the fact that a beta patch is "not an official part of the support flow" is not the issue here. The fact is, that the beta has been out for over 2 weeks for Steam users, and it remains unavailable for me. Correct me if I am wrong: It was simply easier, less work, to issue the beta through Steam (or, at least did not require the creation of (another?) installer for non-Steam Users); and it is easier, or less work, now to field the complaints than to create a non-Steam user installer. Hence, it is not irrational for non-Steam users to feel neglected.

PS: Not that it matters, but doesn't an installer have to be created anyway for the official patch, assuming that same will be available for non-Steam users?
amtrick

Post by amtrick »

As far as I am concerned, betas are a developer's way to get some additional user testing of a piece of software before letting it go "live". Who gets to be a beta tester and how the beta is delivered to them is the developer's choice. "Public" betas are a simple, inexpensive way to get the testing done on a wide scale, although lots of folks who download these public beta patches never give a lick of feedback. As a consumer I am not "owed" the right to be a beta tester. What I should expect is that when beta testing is done and the patch finalized, it should be available through all distribution channels in a timely manner. Until then, I'm not going to be critical of the developer.
RickD
Johnus

Post by Johnus »

I was under the impression that the term "public beta" meant "public" in the way the word is usually employed. And I also thought that the word "public" would certainly include those members of the general public who had purchased the game, albeit not through Steam. But that's just me.
James Ward

Post by James Ward »

I think they do it where it makes the most sense for them. It's not like it is the official patch.
pzgndr

Post by pzgndr »

ORIGINAL: James Ward
I think they do it where it makes the most sense for them.

Again, it's fair to ask why this Matrix Games site does not make the most sense for Matrix Games developers and customers to use for everything related to Matrix Games products. There is an opportunity for improvement here.
Bill Macon
Johnus

Post by Johnus »

Because it was easier to distribute it through Steam only.
bobarossa

Post by bobarossa »

And they have far more users and make far more money through Steam. We non-steam users are a significant minority. I think when Paradox switched to Steam only they said well under 10% of their buyers didn't use steam.
Hanal

Post by Hanal »

I finally bit the bullet and started using Steam, but only for indie games such as my current favorite Battle Brothers, but I still like purchasing my mainstream wargames through the Matrix site...
jack54

Post by jack54 »

ORIGINAL: PipFromSlitherine

Just to be clear, beta patches are not an official part of the support flow - it's to allow the developer to get feedback on upcoming patches before they release. We don't (and would never) actually release patches without releasing to all sites at pretty much the same time. As Iain says, sometimes Steam is a more sensible choice for beta patches depending upon the build requirements and the community numbers.

Cheers

Pip

Distressing IMO... I usually enjoy beta patches. To tell you the truth as the game sits unplayed I'm losing interest...
Avatar: Me borrowing Albert Ball's Nieuport 17

Counter from Bloody April by Terry Simo (GMT)
stolypin

Post by stolypin »

Same here.
Johnus

Post by Johnus »

True that guys. I'll give the game the same love I've gotten.
mercenarius

Post by mercenarius »

We are working on the patch but a couple of bugs have come up and I am squashing them. One however is elusive and I have to get that done before the patch can go public.

Naturally I am biased, but I think that it's worth the wait.
James Warshawsky
Forced March Games, LLC
Ron

Post by Ron »

ORIGINAL: mercenarius

We are working on the patch but a couple of bugs have come up and I am squashing them. One however is elusive and I have to get that done before the patch can go public.

Naturally I am biased, but I think that it's worth the wait.

Thanks for the info, but that is is not what this post is about.
Johnus

Post by Johnus »

Today is the one month anniversary of the release of the beta patch - for Steam users that is. Any word about a patch, beta, final, whatever, for us low life, non Steam users? The world wonders.
stolypin

Post by stolypin »

ORIGINAL: Johnnie

Today is the one month anniversary of the release of the beta patch - for Steam users that is. Any word about a patch, beta, final, whatever, for us low life, non Steam users? The world wonders.

The world wonders with credit card in hand, ready to buy when the non-Steam patch is released.

Return to “Victory and Glory: Napoleon”