Has anyone bought Stellaris?

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Rosseau

RE: Has anyone bought Stellaris?

Post by Rosseau »

RisingSun,

There is a file PLANTYPE.INI where you can mod to get better chance of good planets. I think it's in root directory of Polaris, so you don't have to recompile. My game is uninstalled at the moment [&:]
Rising-Sun

Post by Rising-Sun »

ORIGINAL: rosseau

RisingSun,

There is a file PLANTYPE.INI where you can mod to get better chance of good planets. I think it's in root directory of Polaris, so you don't have to recompile. My game is uninstalled at the moment [&:]

Well habitable planets are suppose to be rare and what I mean, should have like none to 15. Not sure what are the maximum planets you can have per system.

One thing about Stellaris, it doesn't have a slider for habitable planets in Galaxy Setup, hoping they will put one up. Those earth like planet should be rare in the galaxy.
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

Yes, I modded Stellaris a bit, too. Stardrive 2 has such a slider, but that game isn't so great [8|]
Rising-Sun

Post by Rising-Sun »

Yes, I modded Stellaris a bit, too. Stardrive 2 has such a slider, but that game isn't so great [8|]

There are only few galactic games I like...
Distant Worlds (lack of tech tree)
Polaris Sector (need more planets in system and great tech tree)
Stellaris (everything is nice, except planets doesn't orbit around the sun)
Gilmer

Post by Gilmer »

ORIGINAL: Lecivius

Those are not stellar reviews [:(]

The PC world one gave it a pretty good review, but the things they talk about could make it kind of boring. From what I have seen of it, it "looks" pretty good and I bet a couple of tweaks/mods would shore it up nicely.
"Venimus, vidimus, Deus vicit" John III Sobieski as he entered Vienna on 9/12/1683. "I came, I saw, God conquered."
He that has a mind to fight, let him fight, for now is the time. - Anacreon
Qwixt

Post by Qwixt »

I am undecided on it thus far. My first game is an ironman game, which just means one save, so no big deal. I am playing mushrooms called "Hippy Mandate" peaceful spiritual fanatics. Race is just a graphic, so I could have just as easily picked an race, and it will play out the same, except the same type of species initially look at your race more favorably (e.g. mammalians like mammalians more).

Seems like there is a lot to do early game. Due to work, family (end of school year things), and hockey playoffs, I have not spent much time in the game yet. I have read reviews of the game bogging down mid to late game. I might get some time to play later today or tomorrow. Damn yard work [:(]

Starting out, I am micromanaging science ships which survey new systems, and looking for planets to colonize (just like every 4x game). Maximizing research for the inevitable alien contact. When you meet a new species, you have to research them before interacting with them. While all this going on, I am trying to keep the 3 main resources (energy, gems, influence) positive, and planets producing enough food. I haven't really done much with an army or fleet yet, and would be an easy target.

One thing that really bugs me is how ships/fleets will take the shortest way out of system since they cannot use warp within systems. So if your ship is on the left east side of a system, and needs to go west, it will leave the system on the east side. I understand why it does this, but it still bugs me [:D]
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

I admit using the console to cheat a bit to move things forward. There seems to be more "encounters" than other games, and none are hostile yet.

GreenManGaming.com is still selling it for $30, and it is certainly worth that, imo. Also, we can count on continued support as people love to pester Paradox for fixes and new dlc's.

Aurelian

Post by Aurelian »

A long time ago, but not in a galaxy far, far away, it was noted that a Paradox game wouldn't be really worth it until version 1.05.

So I'll wait till then.
Watched a documentary on beavers. Best dam documentary I've ever seen.
Qwixt

Post by Qwixt »

ORIGINAL: Aurelian

A long time ago, but not in a galaxy far, far away, it was noted that a Paradox game wouldn't be really worth it until version 1.05.

So I'll wait till then.

That's what I got paid for it. A lot of the encounters or events are simply messages with flavor text, "We found a beacon on the surface. Looks like the long dead aliens face palmed a lot."
Aurelian

Post by Aurelian »

ORIGINAL: Qwixt

ORIGINAL: Aurelian

So I'll wait till then.

That's what I got paid for it. A lot of the encounters or events are simply messages with flavor text, "We found a beacon on the surface. Looks like the long dead aliens face palmed a lot."

A text adventure with graphics :)
Watched a documentary on beavers. Best dam documentary I've ever seen.
JWW

Post by JWW »

I'm playing a game of Stellaris in parallel with a game of Distant World Universe right now. A couple of hours on each yesterday. Probably an hour on each today. I find Stellaris enjoyable with some neat features. But I don't find it earthshaking. As others have said, a new Paradox game is simply a shadow of what it will be in a year or two. As for the text story arcs in Stellaris, I find them interesting to humorous but enjoyable and find they are along the line of things that are implied in DWU, things I might imagine. If I would have to choose one right now, I would take DWU. But I like Stellaris, even though I am early in the game. Of course I am also playing Stellaris -- quite well so far -- on a below specs computer with some low spec fixes suggested in Steam posts. It is a new Win 10 but with Intell HD 4400 integrated graphics. I don't know how that will work out as the game progresses. I just thought I would give it a try, knowing it might end badly. Right now it is sailing along. DWU of course runs just great on my computer.
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

I was actually able to play Endless Legends on a HD4650. Now I have a GTX-745 and people still make fun of me [;)]

Qwixt

Post by Qwixt »

ORIGINAL: JW

Probably an hour on each today.

That's been kind of my approach. Play an hour a day. I play at normal speed, and I don't really know how a lot of things work. I expect things to go very badly eventually.
JWW

Post by JWW »

I have played Endless Legend easily on my Intel HD 4400 at low settings. In fact, so far EL I think made it work harder than Stellaris, noting that I am early in my first Stellaris game on a small galaxy with setting low.

There are no real graphics settings in game; you can go into the Stellaris file or use console commands to change some things. There are a couple of things about it on the Steam pages for Stellaris. I don't really know if what I did helped or not.

One is here. http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =682063274

I didn't use the console settings though, because that seemed a hassle and seemed like I might have to change it every time I go in the game. I used some other advice which I can't find right now and lowered the settings in the Paradox Games/Stellaris setting file in Documents for shadowsize and maxanisotropy. I am running them at 256 and 0. I saw no significant change in game appearance and really don't know if it has helped or not.

I have also had one small battle. I could do without the spaceships circling each other and firing at each other, since Stellaris has a battle popup that looks a lot like the battle screens in CKII and EU etc. I would do just fine with that, but then I imagine a lot of people want to see the little spaceships circling and firing at each other.
Gilmer

Post by Gilmer »

I was actually able to play Endless Legends on a HD4650. Now I have a GTX-745 and people still make fun of me [;)]

Currently on an HD6570. Man, it sucks.
"Venimus, vidimus, Deus vicit" John III Sobieski as he entered Vienna on 9/12/1683. "I came, I saw, God conquered."
He that has a mind to fight, let him fight, for now is the time. - Anacreon
jamus34

Post by jamus34 »

I do like it but I'm close to putting it down for a month or two to let some of the patches drop.

There's just too much in there that needs work to make it enjoyable.

Two main issues is broke politics and getting empire locked...this being the bigger - I'm in a situation now I literally cannot even explore further due to using starlane tech. So I either can try and hope for an alliance or go to war. Not exactly great choices.
JWW

Post by JWW »

One things of note. I've spent a lot of time on the Steam forums recently, not posting anything, just reading. For lack of a better, more descriptive word, there are a lot of immature people on those forums. Having to sort through the "The game is broken because this empire took my colony and destroyed my fleet" posts, followed by all the replies and arguments, gets tedious, even though there are a lot of good things posted there. This forum is so much more, well, mature.
wings7

Post by wings7 »

ORIGINAL: JW

One things of note. I've spent a lot of time on the Steam forums recently, not posting anything, just reading. For lack of a better, more descriptive word, there are a lot of immature people on those forums. Having to sort through the "The game is broken because this empire took my colony and destroyed my fleet" posts, followed by all the replies and arguments, gets tedious, even though there are a lot of good things posted there. This forum is so much more, well, mature.

Here are a few more mature groups on Steam:
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/SlitherineGroup
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/VIPCollectors
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/gamescollectors
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/AdultEliteGamers

If you need help in joining them, let me know.

Patrick

Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427
JWW

Post by JWW »

Hey, thanks. I had not looked at the groups, though I knew they existed.
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

Yes, the devs on Steam need very thick hides.

Regarding Stellaris, I was also underwhelmed by the little ships circling. Sword of the Stars and Polaris Sector do better. Something like Matrix Starhammer for tactical resolution would be nice, but that's a pipe dream I think.

And yes, getting hemmed in right away by enemies playing Stellaris can be a real frustration.

Return to “General Discussion”