How do historical wargamers feel about fantasy/ sci fi games?

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Cello700

How do historical wargamers feel about fantasy/ sci fi games?

Post by Cello700 »

Is it a case of "Noooooo, I can't stand elves, goblins and starships!" or do you think a good game is a good game no matter what the subject matter?
wings7

RE: How do historical wargamers feel about fantasy/ sci fi games?

Post by wings7 »

I can play any good game no matter what the subject matter! [:)]

Patrick
Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427
Speedysteve

Post by Speedysteve »

Really like the genre tbh
WitE 2 Tester
WitE Tester
BTR/BoB Tester
loki100

Post by loki100 »

ORIGINAL: wings7

Patrick

me too, I am currently having a blast playing Endless Legends as a break from more historical based games. The good thing about well done fantasy/SF games is they can concentrate on game balance and internal (to the game) logic.
radic202

Post by radic202 »

I prefer a Fantasy based War Game as it gives me a chance to escape from "real historical war" games. The same with my choice of reading materials. I am sure with the upcoming "Total War: Warhammer" that comes out next week, you will find both types of players playing that game including myself.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/364360/

It is much harder to think about doing something than actually doing it!
Moltke71

Post by Moltke71 »

As with the previous posters, a good game is a good game regardless of genre.
Jim Cobb
sIg3b

Post by sIg3b »

ORIGINAL: Cello700

Is it a case of "Noooooo, I can't stand elves, goblins and starships!" or do you think a good game is a good game no matter what the subject matter?

Good question.

I like games that feel plausible. Can be Fantasy/Sci-fi, as long as what happens in the game is commonsensical. Can´t relate to anything that´s too weird or patently absurd.

On the other hand, events that are illogical or simply feel wrong kill a historical game as well for me. [:-]

Any theme will do, but I simply can´t stand nonsense.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Cello700

warspite1

Yes - the former. Each of course to their own, but I have no interest in space games or make-believe worlds. My interest lies in history [and playing games with an historical flavour].
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

ORIGINAL: Tesuji

On the other hand, events that are illogical or simply feel wrong kill a historical game as well for me. [:-]
History has much of that. This is my favourite part (about Germany):
And that's not even counting the part where as soon as the plot requires it, they instantly forget about all the racism nonsense and become best buddies with the definitely non-Aryan Japanese.
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
Alan Sharif

Post by Alan Sharif »

It is historical games only for me, but good luck to those who like other types of game.
A Sharif
sIg3b

Post by sIg3b »

ORIGINAL: Matti Kuokkanen
ORIGINAL: Tesuji

History has much of that.

So much the worse for history.
Capitaine

Post by Capitaine »

I am and have been very interested in fantasy games (strategy and rpg) and somewhat less in sci-fi. As others, I enjoy good games. I go in cycles of fantasy - historical depending on what I'm in the mood for in any given period. I have in the last 5-10 years been less interested in FPS or action games of any type, as the frantic pacing just gets tedious after a while. I'm older, but it's not manual dexterity that's a problem, I just prefer a more leisurely pace that doesn't require my attention to be glued to the screen/action constantly.
TheGreatRadish

Post by TheGreatRadish »

Cannot stand them, but whatever floats your boat I suppose.
RodyMetal

Post by RodyMetal »

I just play historic games, I used to like lord of the rings stuff like when I was in school. The problem with fantasy/ sci-fi games for me that I have to learn to get myself into this unknown created world and sometimes got me confused with other fantasy world. Historic based games are easier for me to grasp and got unto, plus it adds to my knowledge if I don't know well about this period/ location.
I could like futuristic space sci-fi games however, if it feels plausible.
I am sure you guys are enjoying great fantasy/ sci-fi games, and I am sure some are more well designed than a lot of historic based games.
Add me, Steam name: RAIED
Steam Profile:
RAIED
wings7

Post by wings7 »

ORIGINAL: loki100

Patrick

me too, I am currently having a blast playing Endless Legends as a break from more historical based games. The good thing about well done fantasy/SF games is they can concentrate on game balance and internal (to the game) logic.

Yes, "Endless Legend" looks great (it's on my wishlist)...it looks like it a war/strategy/civ/space game with fantasy trappings, with tons of game play! [:)] For those unfamiliar, here it is...
http://store.steampowered.com/app/289130/
Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427
Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

Yes, "Endless Legend" looks great (it's on my wishlist)...it looks like it a war/strategy/civ/space game with fantasy trappings, with tons of game play! [:)] For those unfamiliar, here it is...
So much praise for that game... Is it significantly better than Age of Wonders 3?
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
loki100

Post by loki100 »

ORIGINAL: Matti Kuokkanen

So much praise for that game... Is it significantly better than Age of Wonders 3?

not tried the other but I really think Endless Legend is the most innovative 4x/Civ style game of the last few years. Some of it is standard but they really have made the factions different, some really interesting gameplay mechanics. So you have a province, can only build one city in that province - really slows spread and eases micro-management.

the fantasy element is carried lightly, some magic - one faction has S&M tendencies that you can use to generate positive events (at a cost to yourself) - but its not really dominant. Being from the UK I find it disturbing that one of the more powerful units looks like Boris Johnson -- this does break the immersion but I can't really blame the (French) designers.
altipueri

Post by altipueri »

Historical only for me.

I've tried many times to like Alpha Centauri more than Civilization 2 but I can't.

I've got Galactic Civilizations 2 but only played about 5 minutes of it.

I tried Elite on the BBC2 micro, but preferred the flight game where you could go under the bridge. And Bomb Alley about the Falklands. Did they do all that in 32K - you can't get a picture for that these days.
Gilmer

Post by Gilmer »

I like all good games. I like Distant Worlds Universe, but don't get to play it as much as I'd like to.

I liked FPS type scifi games like Privateer. It's one of my all time favorites.
"Venimus, vidimus, Deus vicit" John III Sobieski as he entered Vienna on 9/12/1683. "I came, I saw, God conquered."
He that has a mind to fight, let him fight, for now is the time. - Anacreon
Zorch

Post by Zorch »

ORIGINAL: altipueri

Historical only for me.

I've tried many times to like Alpha Centauri more than Civilization 2 but I can't.

I've got Galactic Civilizations 2 but only played about 5 minutes of it.

I tried Elite on the BBC2 micro, but preferred the flight game where you could go under the bridge. And Bomb Alley about the Falklands. Did they do all that in 32K - you can't get a picture for that these days.
I prefer Alpha C to Civ 2; I wish that Civ: Beyond Earth had lived up to Alpha C!

Return to “General Discussion”