All things Football (soccer) related

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

warspite1

RE: All things Football (soccer) related

Post by warspite1 »

Battle of the Royal Navy cities is rejoined again tonight. The two face off for a place in the League Two play-off Final.

I won't be heart-broken if Portsmouth make it but.......

C'Mon you Pilgrims!

Attachments
4613512.jpg
4613512.jpg (20.44 KiB) Viewed 19 times
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
Orm

Post by Orm »

Anyone know of a good, current, football manager game?
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
loki100

Post by loki100 »

ORIGINAL: warspite1

..., Poch signs a new contract and Newcastle United are relegated [X(]

I've been following Spurs for over 40 years (a form of suffering inherited from my father) and I really thought I had seen it all (mostly involving spectacular ways to foul up) ... but today takes that to a new level. My only source of relief is knowing that the southside of Glasgow has very few Arsenal fans and I had a wonderful day out rock climbing.

sigh

[:)]
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: loki100

..., Poch signs a new contract and Newcastle United are relegated [X(]

I've been following Spurs for over 40 years (a form of suffering inherited from my father) and I really thought I had seen it all (mostly involving spectacular ways to foul up) ... but today takes that to a new level. My only source of relief is knowing that the southside of Glasgow has very few Arsenal fans and I had a wonderful day out rock climbing.

sigh

[:)]
warspite1

Well I've been following Spurs for over 40 years and today was as predictable as it was boring (I said this would happen weeks ago in the WITP-AE forum (except I suggested Newcastle would remain in the Premiership as a result).

Supporting Spurs is a hideous way to live life. No one should have to put up with that sort of torture in this day and age. Its a cruel and barbaric way to spend one's existence. No need for it whatsoever.

Please give generously to "Stop Putting Up (with) Rubbish Soccer" or Text SPURS and donate today. Together we can end this nonsense.

VPaulus

Post by VPaulus »

I understand the frustration that the last match caused on the fans and the fact that the gunners finished in front, but honestly in overall, I think it was a quite good season for the Spurs.
Quite positive the fact that you'll be playing the Champions league.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: VPaulus

I understand the frustration that the last match caused on the fans and the fact that the gunners finished in front, but honestly in overall, I think it was a quite good season for the Spurs.
Quite positive the fact that you'll be playing the Champions league.
warspite1

As said previously I would have taken 3rd at the start of the season - at least there is no tricky Champions League qualification round to navigate. But given the points advantage with just a few games to go, finishing behind Arsenal is a sickener.

I just hope that Poch realises that there is still a re-building job to be done. Chadli please go....

Speedysteve

Post by Speedysteve »

As an Arsenal Fan I have to be careful what I say[;)] I won't mention St. Totteringham's[;)] It was a very very odd season. Amazing that Leicester won but strangely Arsenal finishing 2nd for the first time since 2004 feels a real disappointment.
WitE 2 Tester
WitE Tester
BTR/BoB Tester
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Speedy

As an Arsenal Fan I have to be careful what I say[;)] I won't mention St. Totteringham's[;)] It was a very very odd season. Amazing that Leicester won but strangely Arsenal finishing 2nd for the first time since 2004 feels a real disappointment.
warspite1

Not sure why you have to be careful what you say?? Arsenal (when compared to Spurs) have a better, more experienced squad, more money, a bigger ground, and a manager who knows how to win trophies. They finished second because they deserved to.

Speedysteve

Post by Speedysteve »

On the flip side as an Arsenal fan it was the same old same old season. Not enough character or really world class quality in the key moments and yet again Wenger (as great as he is and has done for Arsenal and football in general) isn't prepared to adapt.

Don't get me wrong I'm not one of these Wenger out types (although I am frustrated) though...look at Man U and be careful what you wish for/happens when you change a big long standing manager...
WitE 2 Tester
WitE Tester
BTR/BoB Tester
Franciscus

Post by Franciscus »

Talk about frustration...
I am a portuguese supporter of Sporting Clube de Portugal and the end of our league was particularly painful...
We spent most weeks on first place. We played very fine. We scored 86 points in 34 games (top score in all our history, even more than all the times we were champions). We only lost 2 games...but one was at home with our life-time rivals (Benfica, 0-1; but we had won 3-0 on their home...) and we again at the end lost the chamiponship to...Benfica, by 2 points...[:@]

As we are used to say, maybe next year...
Former AJE team member
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Franciscus

I am a portuguese supporter of Sporting Clube de Portugal and the end of our league was particularly painful...
We spent most weeks on first place. We played very fine. We scored 86 points in 34 games (top score in all our history, even more than all the times we were champions). We only lost 2 games...but one was at home with our life-time rivals (Benfica, 0-1; but we had won 3-0 on their home...) and we again at the end lost the chamiponship to...Benfica, by 2 points...[:@]

warspite1

So are you Sporting Lisbon or Sporting Clube de Portugal? I'm confused!

To Speedy
careful what you wish for

Agreed - this is Arsenal's big problem. Just who do you replace Wenger with if you decide his time is up? Look at the rubbish Spurs have employed over the years....

Franciscus

Post by Franciscus »

ORIGINAL: Franciscus

warspite1

We are indeed "Sporting Club de Portugal". We are a national team :)

Our rivals, on the other hand are "Sport Lisboa e Benfica" Benfica is a mere Lisbon area..;)
Former AJE team member
VPaulus

Post by VPaulus »

There's no Sporting Lisbon,as far as I know. Franciscus is Sporting Clube de Portugal (Sporting for shorter).
It's Benfica which is Sport Lisboa e Benfica or also know as the Glorious :P (Franciscus will now be mad at me).
I'm a supporter for Clube Futebol os Belenenses (Belenenses for shorter), a kind of Tottenham of the Portuguese league :( (I feel your pain warspite)

Agreed - this is Arsenal's big problem. Just who do you replace Wenger with if you decide his time is up? Look at the rubbish Spurs have employed over the years....
At least they will have an opportunity to change otherwise they know they will finish in second, third or fourth.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

There's no Sporting Lisbon,as far as I know. Franciscus is Sporting Clube de Portugal (Sporting for shorter).
It's Benfica which is Sport Lisboa e Benfica or also know as the Glorious :P (Franciscus will now be mad at me).
I'm a supporter for Clube Futebol os Belenenses (Belenenses for shorter), a kind of Tottenham of the Portuguese league :( (I feel your pain warspite)
warspite1

Okay - the guys with the green and white hoops - they are always known as Sporting Lisbon by the media over here, hence my confusion.

I wonder why that is? - but thanks for the clarification [:)]

Orm

Post by Orm »

How come the daily mail claim that Arsenal had a underwhelming season?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... eason.html

I see in the article that Tottenham will get a huge fortune as well. That is some serious cash flowing into English top football.
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
Orm

Post by Orm »

warspite1

Okay - the guys with the green and white hoops - they are always known as Sporting Lisbon by the media over here, hence my confusion.

I wonder why that is? - but thanks for the clarification [:)]
My guess is that it is because some UEFA rule. I know that my team, although internationally unknown, must add their home town to the club name whenever they play UEFA football.
Orm

Post by Orm »

Surprised that Marcus Rashford is in the team? Do you think he will remain after the cut?
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Orm

Surprised that Marcus Rashford is in the team? Do you think he will remain after the cut?
warspite1

I guess all of this is subject to injury - but let's assume there are no injuries ahead of the cut to 23 - so three must go (in bold)....

Goalkeepers:
Joe Hart (Manchester City), Fraser Forster (Southampton), Tom Heaton (Burnley)

Obviously all three make it

Defenders:
Ryan Bertrand (Southampton), Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Nathaniel Clyne (Liverpool), Danny Rose (Tottenham), Chris Smalling (Manchester United), John Stones (Everton), Kyle Walker (Tottenham)

There are only seven - two left backs, two right backs and three central defenders (but Dier can move into the back four if needed) and so I think all seven will make it.

Midfielders:
Dele Alli (Tottenham), Ross Barkley (Everton), Fabian Delph (Manchester City), Eric Dier (Tottenham), Danny Drinkwater (Leicester), Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), Adam Lallana (Liverpool), James Milner (Liverpool), Raheem Sterling (Manchester City), Andros Townsend (Newcastle), Jack Wilshere (Arsenal)

Two to go here and this is more difficult. Personally I would drop Townsend as he is too inconsistent. I think the other one to go will be Delph (most likely - but a Hodgson favourite) or Drinkwater, but again I would not bet on it being Wilshire because he gets injured.

Forwards:
Harry Kane (Tottenham), Marcus Rashford (Manchester United), Wayne Rooney (Manchester United), Daniel Sturridge (Liverpool), Jamie Vardy (Leicester)

Typically you need four - at the most five. I think Rashford will miss out but I would not bet against Sturridge getting injured which lets him in.

Who would I leave behind? Sturridge (injury-prone), Sterling (massively over-rated) and Wilshere (injury-prone).

loki100

Post by loki100 »

So, its only taken them 116 years but Hibs have finally managed to win the Scottish Cup Final
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: loki100

So, its only taken them 116 years but Hibs have finally managed to win the Scottish Cup Final
warspite1

I remember reading that a few years ago. Shocking stat. How can one of the two big Edinburgh clubs never have won the cup? [X(]

And when it did, why the hell did it have to be against Rangers [&:]

This is turning into a really rubbish end of season.....

Return to “General Discussion”