How to read the Event Log properly

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

rainman2015

How to read the Event Log properly

Post by rainman2015 »

OK, another question i am just getting round to asking about now. I have been glossing over my lack of understanding of the Event log since the beginning, but now want to fully understand it, so a few questions on what the different column headings mean. I will add in what these columns mean to the condensed rules also. I have good guesses on what many of the columns mean, others i am very in the dark about.

Under the main heading 'Refit Replacement: Segment B'
Germany

What do the column headings 'POOL, USED, BACK, LOST' mean?

Under the next set of column headings, out to the right of 'ELEMENT', what do the column headings
'POOL, READY, DAMAGED, WANTED, BUILT, CONV, ADDED, BACK, LOST' mean?

Like i say, i am pretty sure i understand a number of these headings, WANTED or BUILT for example, but others i am needing clarification on. What is the difference between the POOL and READY columns, what does BACK mean, etc?

Thanks!
Randy
:)
Attachments
eventlogscreen.gif
eventlogscreen.gif (62.38 KiB) Viewed 374 times
morvael

RE: How to read the Event Log properly

Post by morvael »

First header:
POOL - number in active pool at start of that replacement segment
USED - number used during that replacement segment to fill up added elements (Manpower, Hiwis) or build new elements (Armaments, Vehicles) or convert existing elements directly in units (Armaments)
BACK - number returned during that replacement segment (they go to transfer pool, and are not available to be used as replacements until next turn), unpaired from returning and destroyed elements
LOST - number lost during that replacement segment (they go to disabled pool, and only a small percentage of these returns every turn), unpaired from returning and destroyed elements

So you had 8941 men in the German active manower pool at start of refit replacements, segment B; 1342 were taken from that pool and added to units refitted in this phase/segment; 24532 were removed from units refitted in this phase/segment, and will be made available next turn; 3092 were removed from units refitted in this phase/segment, and went to disabled pool (from which 0.95% return to active duty per turn, and 0.05% are killed).

The game tries to divide available resources between three replacements phases/segments, so despite 8941 being in the pool, probably only around 1350 were authorised to be used by replacements during that phase/segment. This is done in order to prevent starving units that go last during normal replacement phase by those on refit. Players had trouble with this previously when there were no caps, and found out they have to put even more units on refit every turn, untill entire army was on refit. Of course troops in refit, especially refit A (manual refit), have larger weight than their numbers of missing men suggest, thus are able to replenish faster than units in the last segment.

Second header:
READY - number of ready elements in units on the map at start of that replacement segment
DAMAGED - number of damaged elements in units on the map at start of that replacement segment
WANTED - number of elements asked for by units on the map in that replacement segment (may be lower than number of really missing elements, because the base value is affected by modifiers like distance to rail)
BUILT - number of elements built during that replacement segment (to fulfill unit needs, will be always equalt to 0 for elements that are produced in factories, and not on demand)
CONV - number of elements converted in units during that replacement segment (shows negative for elements that were converted to other elements, and positive for elements that were converted from other elements)
ADDED - number of elements added to units that wanted them during that replacement segment (ADDED should be always lower or equal to POOL+BUILT)
BACK - number of ready or damaged elements elements returned to pool during that replacement segment (they go to transfer pool, and are not available to be used as replacements until next turn)
LOST - number of damaged elements that were written off and destroyed during that replacement segment

So looking at 37mm Anti-tank Gun you see that:
- you had 19 in the active pool at start of this replacement phase/segment
- units refitted in this replacement phase/segment had 8 ready, 0 damaged and were authorized to ask for 79 replacements
- to fulfill that demand 30 guns were built during this replacement phase/segment (no doubt costing you some of those 1620 armaments spent this phase) - for some elements, especially guns, there are limits to how many can be built per turn
- 49 guns were added to units (19 from the pool and 30 built), costing you 245 men out of those 1342 used during this replacement phase/segment (as each 37mm AT gun required 5 men)
- no guns were returned or lost
rainman2015

Post by rainman2015 »

ORIGINAL: morvael

First header:
USED - number used during that replacement segment to fill up added elements (Manpower, Hiwis) or build new elements (Armaments, Vehicles) or convert existing elements directly in units (Armaments)
BACK - number returned during that replacement segment (they go to transfer pool, and are not available to be used as replacements until next turn), unpaired from returning and destroyed elements
LOST - number lost during that replacement segment (they go to disabled pool, and only a small percentage of these returns every turn), unpaired from returning and destroyed elements

So you had 8941 men in the German active manower pool at start of refit replacements, segment B; 1342 were taken from that pool and added to units refitted in this phase/segment; 24532 were removed from units refitted in this phase/segment, and will be made available next turn; 3092 were removed from units refitted in this phase/segment, and went to disabled pool (from which 0.95% return to active duty per turn, and 0.05% are killed).

The game tries to divide available resources between three replacements phases/segments, so despite 8941 being in the pool, probably only around 1350 were authorised to be used by replacements during that phase/segment. This is done in order to prevent starving units that go last during normal replacement phase by those on refit. Players had trouble with this previously when there were no caps, and found out they have to put even more units on refit every turn, untill entire army was on refit. Of course troops in refit, especially refit A (manual refit), have larger weight than their numbers of missing men suggest, thus are able to replenish faster than units in the last segment.

Second header:
READY - number of ready elements in units on the map at start of that replacement segment
DAMAGED - number of damaged elements in units on the map at start of that replacement segment
WANTED - number of elements asked for by units on the map in that replacement segment (may be lower than number of really missing elements, because the base value is affected by modifiers like distance to rail)
BUILT - number of elements built during that replacement segment (to fulfill unit needs, will be always equalt to 0 for elements that are produced in factories, and not on demand)
CONV - number of elements converted in units during that replacement segment (shows negative for elements that were converted to other elements, and positive for elements that were converted from other elements)
ADDED - number of elements added to units that wanted them during that replacement segment (ADDED should be always lower or equal to POOL+BUILT)
BACK - number of ready or damaged elements elements returned to pool during that replacement segment (they go to transfer pool, and are not available to be used as replacements until next turn)
LOST - number of damaged elements that were written off and destroyed during that replacement segment

So looking at 37mm Anti-tank Gun you see that:
- you had 19 in the active pool at start of this replacement phase/segment
- units refitted in this replacement phase/segment had 8 ready, 0 damaged and were authorized to ask for 79 replacements
- to fulfill that demand 30 guns were built during this replacement phase/segment (no doubt costing you some of those 1620 armaments spent this phase) - for some elements, especially guns, there are limits to how many can be built per turn
- 49 guns were added to units (19 from the pool and 30 built), costing you 245 men out of those 1342 used during this replacement phase/segment (as each 37mm AT gun required 5 men)
- no guns were returned or lost

Thanks Morvael for the quick reply! I am sure this has been asked before, but i couldn't find it, and i had always kind of glossed over my lack of understanding of it in the game until now. This explains it. I will add it into the 'condensed rules', and point to it in the forum posts compilation i am about to release too.

2 quick further questions:

1) What is the difference between 'refit A' and 'refit B' segments?

2) Under the 2nd header, 'READY' = number of ready elements in units on the map at start of that replacement segment. If that is the case though, wouldn't there be MANY more 'ready' elements on the map for 'rifle squad 39' than '50' elements. Would be many thousands, right? Why only 50?

Thanks
Randy
morvael

Post by morvael »

1) Some units are treated as being permanently on refit - HQs, air bases, support units attached to HQs - those units for which you can't manually turn refit on or off. It was a problem because these units ate most of replacements, whereas combat units were starved. So the refit replacement phase was divided into two segments - A and B. During segment A combat units and support units attached to them are handled, and during segment B those units on auto-refit are handled. Also, only segment A units are able to get access to greater share of resources than their requirements suggest.

2) But this is only for units included in that segment. Go to "Normal" table and see that most of squads are there.
rainman2015

Post by rainman2015 »

1) Some units are treated as being permanently on refit - HQs, air bases, support units attached to HQs - those units for which you can't manually turn refit on or off. It was a problem because these units ate most of replacements, whereas combat units were starved. So the refit replacement phase was divided into two segments - A and B. During segment A combat units and support units attached to them are handled, and during segment B those units on auto-refit are handled. Also, only segment A units are able to get access to greater share of resources than their requirements suggest.

2) But this is only for units included in that segment. Go to "Normal" table and see that most of squads are there.

Ah-ha to both questions, thanks Morvael! I wonder how many others have been glossing over these things and not fully understanding them, since there is no explanation at all in the rules about them. I will fix that in the condensed rules at least.

Randy
WilliSaenger

Post by WilliSaenger »

I had also problems in understanding the event log, thank you for your question!
NotOneStepBack

Post by NotOneStepBack »

So the units on auto-refit, does it matter if you set all your HQ's to MAX TOE 50 to save manpower? Is there any detriment to doing this for administrative units?
morvael

Post by morvael »

HQ has TOE%/1000 chance to add 1 to leader admin skill. That's why I prefer to keep mine up to strength.
NotOneStepBack

Post by NotOneStepBack »

I prefer men with rifles, but thanks for the answer, gonna keep them at 50 :)
rainman2015

Post by rainman2015 »

On this same kind of note, if you lower your artillery to say TOE 50%, do the now over TOE guns and men get then sent ASAP back to the pool to get the artillery unit down to TOE 50%, or does the artillery unit keep its full compliment of guns/men (the original TOE 100% total of guns/men) until they lose those guns/men thru combat/attrition/etc?

As i have been reading about how the German masters are lowering their units TOE%, i have been wondering how that part of it would work.

Thanks
Randy
morvael

Post by morvael »

It's blocked. Units return only elements from slots above 125% of MAX TOE, but MAX TOE below 80 is treated as 80. And 125% of 80 is 100. So you can only hasten returns of elements above 100% TOE by reducing MAX TOE to 80, but not more.
uw06670

Post by uw06670 »

rainman, thanks for asking the question :-)
- Mark
WilliSaenger

Post by WilliSaenger »

Im playing operation typhoon and I noticed something in the production section of the event log I don't understand.

It says it can't produce a certain amount of supplies because of resource shortages and cant produce a certain amount of armaments, vehicles and aircrafts because of supply shortages even though supplies and resources are abundant.
Are this shortages caused by resources and supplies that do actually exist but do not reach the factories because of weather conditions for example or is there another reason?

It also says 0 manpower recruited locally in 0 isolated manpower centers.
What does this mean? What is manpower recruited locally and what are isolated manpower centers?
WilliSaenger

Post by WilliSaenger »

The event log attached
Attachments
EventLogT..118So.txt
(23.78 KiB) Downloaded 24 times
39battalion

Post by 39battalion »

Thank you rainman2015 for asking this question and thank you morvael for your very clear explanation.

I have always found the event report to be the part of the game I least understand.
morvael

Post by morvael »

ORIGINAL: WilliSaenger

It says it can't produce a certain amount of supplies because of resource shortages and cant produce a certain amount of armaments, vehicles and aircrafts because of supply shortages even though supplies and resources are abundant.

It also says 0 manpower recruited locally in 0 isolated manpower centers.

1) There was not enough resources in one or more cities, so factories located there could not produce. Do you have a city with industry that is currently disconnected from rail network? This may also show up if new factories come online, expand or are repaired, because the game is not good at predicting how many resources it will need in a city for the next turn.

2) If a city is isolated, but still owned by you, manpower recruited there will not go to the active pool. It will be cached in the city, and added to the pool only when the city will be no longer isolated.
WilliSaenger

Post by WilliSaenger »

ok, thank you for the clarification
rainman2015

Post by rainman2015 »

It's blocked. Units return only elements from slots above 125% of MAX TOE, but MAX TOE below 80 is treated as 80. And 125% of 80 is 100. So you can only hasten returns of elements above 100% TOE by reducing MAX TOE to 80, but not more.

Had to re-read that one about 5 times, but finally got it. So, no, reducing units to max TOE 50% will not cause the units to shed elements, they will instead lose elements eventually due to combat/attrition, etc, and then simply not build back up past 50% TOE with replacements. Got it.

Thanks! [&o]
Randy
morvael

Post by morvael »

Yes, it's possible only to force them to immediately shed elements above 100% of original TOE (as defined by the game), instead of 125%, by setting MAX TOE to 80. Lower setting of MAX TOE will have no effect on shedding.
WilliSaenger

Post by WilliSaenger »

Hi,

I was taking a look at the event log again..

ARMY STATUS

COUNTRY ACTIVE TRANSFER DISABLED UNITS TOE BALANCE
Soviet Union 7468 32614 25138 614056 906234 -292178

Active should be the number of men in the pool after the replacements right?
If that's correct the number doesn't add up unfortunately because if I detract
51513 from 59869 I have 8356 left

NORMAL REPLACEMENTS

RESOURCE POOL USED BACK LOST
Manpower 59869 51513 12827 30687
Armaments 139352 11407
Vehicles 8000 0

Can someone also explain me what the TRANSFER column in the army status (above) means?

Thank you for your help.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”