Ground Unit Morale Changes Clarifications

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

rainman2015

Ground Unit Morale Changes Clarifications

Post by rainman2015 »

Below are the rules (updated to the latest errata) for possible changes in ground unit morale. I have to say i finding them pretty confusing, and am trying to put together the 'condensed' updated rules set, so want to have it straight...

So, my main question is how units gain morale out of combat. Do units possibly gain the '10% of national morale but not past national morale' in ADDITION to the possible morale gained by being 10 hexes from an enemy unit? Or do you have to also be 10 hexes from an enemy unit to possibly gain the 10% of national morale.

Exactly what is everyone doing to regain morale, especially after non-mild blizzard or something devastating to morale like that?

Anyway, here are the full morale rules now with errata, although i lost all my highlighting and underlining, BOLD, etc i have done with it due to importing it into this forum post.

(9.1.1) Ground Unit Morale Changes

The morale of a unit will increase when it is successful in combat (holds on defense or retreats the defender when attacking).

Note that the attacker does not lose a morale point if the defender holds. Only the defender possibly gains a morale point.

The morale of a unit may also increase during the friendly logistics phase due to any and all of the following circumstances:

• The unit's morale is below its national morale. In this case it can recover as much as 10% of the national morale but not more than the country's national morale (Example: German national morale is 70 in 1942 so a unit could recover 7 per turn, not to exceed 70 for a non-elite unit).

• The unit is in a very good supply and support situation and its morale is less than 75. If Die (75) is greater than the unit's morale than a gain for this situation is possible.

Ground unit morale may decrease due to losing battles, suffering from air interdiction, being in an isolated state, and Axis morale losses due to the first winter rules (22.3). There is also a morale penalty for Finnish units that move south of specific hexes on the map area (19.1.1).

• Retreated units lose one morale point, which is increased to a loss of two morale points if the leader Morale check fails.

• Routed units lose one additional morale point.

• Isolated units may lose one or more morale depending on existing supply shortages.

• Units attacked by an interdiction air mission that lose more than nine MPs may lose one morale if random(100) is less than unit fatigue and the leader Morale rating check fails.

• Units which are missing morale and fatigue rolls can lose morale during logistic phase.

(v1.04.10)

Adjusted the amount of morale a unit loses after a battle. Now units are not guaranteed to lose a morale point when a battle is lost. The higher a unit's morale is over its national morale, the greater the chance the morale will be reduced when it loses a battle.

(v1.05.18)

Changed rule so that the morale gain from refit when under 50 morale is only gained when the unit in refit is at least 10 hexes from a supplied enemy unit (similar to the current gain if less than morale 50 and 10 or more hexes from enemy unit).

(v1.05.28)

Poorly supplied units can lose morale. If at the end of the logistics phase a unit has less than 20% of needed supplies, it has a chance of losing 1 morale point. If the value is less than 10% there is a chance of losing 2 morale points.

(v1.05.53)

Each logistics phase there is chance that a unit can lose a morale point due to fatigue. The higher the fatigue and the lower the morale of the unit, the greater the chance that the unit must make a leader morale check to avoid a morale loss.

(v1.07.06)

HQ and airbase units do not receive the motorized bonus to national morale.

Units do not gain morale while routed.

Units may only gain morale outside of combat if their morale is less than 10 points above their national morale, or less than 50, whichever is greater.

(v1.07.10)

Possible morale gains for a unit being at least 10 hexes from an enemy unit (in refit or not) will now only happen if the unit's morale is below its national morale, or 50, whichever is lowest. Note it is possible to receive up to 0-2 morale points from this when not in refit mode, and 0-4 points when in refit mode (this has not changed).

(v1.07.10)

Units that are below 40 automatically gain one morale point in the logistics phase.

(v1.08.05)

Units below their National Morale, not routed, supplied, more than 9 hexes away from supplied enemy units, and not adjacent to an enemy hex will be eligible to regain 1-4 morale points per turn, even when having morale 50 or greater.
Units below their National Morale, not routed and supplied will have the greater chance to regain up to 10% of their National Morale (not to exceed it) the lower their morale.

(v1.08.05)

Units will be eligible for morale drop due to too high morale when 20 points above National Morale, instead of 30. Units will be eligible for morale drop due to low supplies when above National Morale - 10, instead of 50.

(v1.08.06)

Reduced the chance to regain up to 10% of National Morale, restricting it to a flat 10% chance (disconnected from morale), and only for units that are within 10 MP of working rail net.

Attachments
morale1.gif
morale1.gif (26.34 KiB) Viewed 65 times
Michael T

RE: Ground Unit Morale Changes Clarifications

Post by Michael T »

I gave up trying to understand what the current set is too.

We need an explanation of how it works now.
rainman2015

RE: Ground Unit Morale Changes Clarifications

Post by rainman2015 »

ORIGINAL: Michael T

I gave up trying to understand what the current set is too.

We need an explanation of how it works now.

As it looks like these 'condensed rules' could be used for everyone as a set of updated rules, as i update them to 1.08.09, am wanting to clarify anything that feels very vague to me, and the morale rules spin my head when i read them with all the latest errata combined together. Want to understand them, and then to put some clarifying notes into them for the condensed rule set.

Randy
:)

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”