[OPTION ADDED B826] Restricting weapon launch on hostile only when it enters a prosecution area?

Post bug reports and ask for game support here.

Moderator: MOD_Command

Stacker1010

[OPTION ADDED B826] Restricting weapon launch on hostile only when it enters a prosecution area?

Post by Stacker1010 »

I understand that a prosecution area will allow a flight to exit its normal patrol area and then engage any hostile that enters the PA. However, is it possible to also limit weapon release against a target only if it's within that prosecution area?

The attached file shows what I was trying to do -
A simple CAP mission with a patrol area defined by two points. I define a prosecution area using an additional 4 points. Now, the hostile is being engaged well before it enters the prosecution area because the F-16 can take a shot without leaving its patrol area as it's well within weapon range.

What I'm trying to do is set up a sort of kill box so that even if I'm within weapon range I won't fire until the hostile enters that prosecution area. Can this be done? The only way I can think of doing this is to put my patrol area far enough away from the prosecution area so that it won't take pot shots at hostiles until they enter the area.

Attachments
CAPtest.zip
(6.35 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
mikmykWS

RE: Restricting weapon launch on hostile only when it enters a prosecution area?

Post by mikmykWS »

Having the guys take a look. I think something is broken. As you explain it is how it was supposed to work.

Thanks!

Mike
Lowlaner2012

RE: Restricting weapon launch on hostile only when it enters a prosecution area?

Post by Lowlaner2012 »

Hi guys, for me I had a different problem with prosecution areas...

A bit ago I noticed that my aircraft were not engaging enemy units inside the prosecution zone I had setup for them in the mission planner, but because I am a wee bit inexperienced with the game I thought I had somehow set them up wrong, so I stopped using them and just setup patrol zones instead...

Is there any chance of a hotfix when the problem is sorted Mike?

Thanks
somi83

Post by somi83 »

A bit ago I noticed that my aircraft were not engaging enemy units inside the prosecution zone I had setup for them in the mission planner, but because I am a wee bit inexperienced with the game I thought I had somehow set them up wrong, so I stopped using them and just setup patrol zones instead...

Just to clarify your problem, when you set prosecution zone did you used option "investigate contacts outside patrol area"? in mission planner. If not, that is the source of your problem. In mission planner you can use this option in two ways, first is when you don't have prosecution area set up, planes will leave patrol area, and engage everything that is detected. Second is with the prosecution area set, they will engage only targets in prosecution area even if they are detected outside of it.
Lowlaner2012

Post by Lowlaner2012 »

Hi Somi83.

I tried everything I know in the mission planner with prosecution areas, I even tried having a high altitude and low altitude CAP with the same prosecution area, it didn't seem to make any difference... my CAPs didn't seem to want to engage the enemy planes inside the prosecution zone unless I manually told them to..

In my game I only wanted my CAP to engage the enemy inside the prosecution zone I had set for them, I didn't want them wasting fuel chasing down contacts way outside there area/zone...

When I get on my pc later I will make sure that there are no other reasons that is making my planes are reluctant to fire, and if I cant find one I will post a save for the devs to look at...

Thanks

mikmykWS

Post by mikmykWS »

ORIGINAL: somi83

Just to clarify your problem, when you set prosecution zone did you used option "investigate contacts outside patrol area"? in mission planner. If not, that is the source of your problem. In mission planner you can use this option in two ways, first is when you don't have prosecution area set up, planes will leave patrol area, and engage everything that is detected. Second is with the prosecution area set, they will engage only targets in prosecution area even if they are detected outside of it.

I believe he's got that checked off in the save.
mikmykWS

Post by mikmykWS »

ORIGINAL: highlandcharge

Hi guys, for me I had a different problem with prosecution areas...

Is there any chance of a hotfix when the problem is sorted Mike?

Thanks

Need a save of this behavior to see what's wrong. Please start a new string so our programmers can easily follow and track each.

Not sure what the impact of the problem is yet but once we do we'll work out delivery strategy.

Thanks

Mike
Lowlaner2012

Post by Lowlaner2012 »

OK will do Mike.. I will open a new thread in the tech support forum..

Thanks
Stacker1010

Post by Stacker1010 »

Having the guys take a look. I think something is broken. As you explain it is how it was supposed to work.

Thanks!

Mike

Ok thanks. To put this into context I was playing an Israel scenario and trying to set up a CAP on its northern border with Lebanon. I didn't want targets shot down in Lebanon, only when they crossed the border. Therefore I used a prosecution area just on the Israel side of that northern border and set my patrol area just underneath it. The problem was that due to the relatively small size of the country if I set my patrol area just below the prosecution area the weapon reach extends far into Lebanon and I didn't want hostiles shot down whilst over their own country. I thought that a prosecution area would limit the area in which targets would be engaged but it seems that if a hostile is within weapon range then that takes priority and the shot is taken. I can see arguments both ways - take the shot if you are within weapon range and ignore prosecution area OR weapon hold until hostile is within prosecution area and then engage.

In a lot of other scenarios the conflict zone is greater and so a prosecution/patrol area can extend far greater than the single weapon range of say a 120 and so you don't see this.

Stacker1010

Post by Stacker1010 »

BTW - probably should have put this into the Technical Support sub forum so apologies for that.
Lowlaner2012

Post by Lowlaner2012 »

Mike my bad, I loaded my save of the scenario and found that my weapons had somehow been put on HOLD, no need for me to start a thread on the tech support fourm...

Thanks
ComDev

Post by ComDev »

Okay the new behaviour in v1.11 is by design, and is meant to avoid an ambush issue reported a couple of times here.

I've added a new option in B826 (first post-1.11 version) thats says 'Investigate contacts within weapons range'. It is ON by default but you can disable it in the edge cases where it makes sense to.

Thanks [8D]

Developer "Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations" project!
mikmykWS

Post by mikmykWS »

Thanks Rag!

Mike
Stacker1010

Post by Stacker1010 »

ORIGINAL: emsoy

Okay the new behaviour in v1.11 is by design, and is meant to avoid an ambush issue reported a couple of times here.

I've added a new option in B826 (first post-1.11 version) thats says 'Investigate contacts within weapons range'. It is ON by default but you can disable it in the edge cases where it makes sense to.

Thanks [8D]

Wow! Massive kudos to you guys for being so reactive, it's really above and beyond the call of duty and is beyond anything I expect.

Return to “Tech Support”