Islands of Destiny: RA 5.0 Japanese Side

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

obvert

RE: September 8, 1943

Post by obvert »

That is a huge hit!!

Pretty much pays back for the day before, even. I think subs can be massed at this stage when you know the Death Star's location and still sneak some hits on the big boys/ladies. It'll be a war of attrition, and you'll lose a lot of them, but it could pay off if you take a BB or CV out for years or sink it. If you throw some Glens on night search it helps, and of course getting the Emilys to fly and get everything lit up during specific days (when you can stand the losses for the potential gains).

The WA looks to be hurting. It may have already gone under, but if not it can't be moving fast.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill
Lowpe

RE: September 8, 1943

Post by Lowpe »

It depends upon what the damage messages are, but I bet the Washington didn't go down.

Got any midget ship carriers handy?

Check Namu! Paratroops?
crsutton

RE: Incoming!

Post by crsutton »

ORIGINAL: John 3rd

ORIGINAL: obvert

Are your subs hunting his CVs?

My subs are doing a fine job of dying presently. Just lost an Ro- last turn and that makes 4 in 10 days. Am withdrawing my SS for a little bit and am searching for a different approach in that arena.

Currently have about 16 I-Boats upgrading presently getting radar. That should help some I hope. Does anyone really know what sort of difference an SS having radar makes?

Allied ships start converting to the MK 9 DC during this time. These are amazingly accurate compared to any other DC with any other nation. Not going to be a good time for your subs from now on. Crappy Japanese radar will give you a little boost in DL for passing ships but won't compensate for all of his radar equipped patrol bombers and patrol ships. So you might get a few more attacks in but will have a good chance of getting sunk in return. Sorry to be the bearer of this bad news...[;)] But nice whack on the Washington.
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
BillBrown

Post by BillBrown »

wrong place, sorry
John 3rd

Post by John 3rd »

ORIGINAL: BillBrown

wrong place, sorry

Am I supposed to disregard this Bill? [:D]

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.
John 3rd

September 9, 1943

Post by John 3rd »

Combat Report
September 9, 1943

Aleutians
Up north I have reinforced the small amount of warships deployed here with a pair of CAs and a modern CL. Total force is still small at 2 CA, 4 CL, and 7 DDs. We still seek to keep the enemy honest though.

The 9th finds the Japanese hunting off Adak. They find lots of fight. In order of fights, they run into 6 DDs, 5 PTs, 6 PTs, deliver a good bombardment of the base, and find 6 more DDs. The TF does rather well damaging 3 DDs in the first fight, sinking 2 PTs in the second, 2 more PTs in the 3rd, and then beating up 4 of 6 in the last wave of DDs. The USS Renshaw is sunk.

As the ships withdraw, they are jumped by 13 P-38 and 16 B-25. The CAP of 60 Fighters absolutely chews up this attack. NICE!

One Japanese DD is badly hit but it makes it back to Amchitka and disbands.

Marshalls
Ailinglaplap
A sweep by 40 Georges encounters 30 Allied Fighters and the Japanese shot down 10 for the loss of 6. Not bad.

Kwajalein
A group of 12 Barges carrying 800 men of the 56th ID is wiped out by 4 US DDs. Drat!

Attachments
AdakSTF.jpg
AdakSTF.jpg (284.18 KiB) Viewed 101 times

John 3rd

September 10, 1943

Post by John 3rd »

The Marshalls
September 10, 1943

A small TF of 6 LCT land something at Kwajalein. They are chewed up by CD sinking 3 of 6.

A Sweep of Ailinglaplap pits 19 George against 19 Hellkittens. How about this result? Six Georges are lost for Fourteen F6F. That is a nice exchange.

Attachments
AtA910.jpg
AtA910.jpg (227.23 KiB) Viewed 101 times

crsutton

RE: September 10, 1943

Post by crsutton »

ORIGINAL: John 3rd

The Marshalls
September 10, 1943

A small TF of 6 LCT land something at Kwajalein. They are chewed up by CD sinking 3 of 6.

A Sweep of Ailinglaplap pits 19 George against 19 Hellkittens. How about this result? Six Georges are lost for Fourteen F6F. That is a nice exchange.

In da babes the George is substantially faster. Really outclasses the Hellcat until the 1944 versions come on line.
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
John 3rd

Up North

Post by John 3rd »

September 13, 1943
The Aleutians

There has been lots of thrust--parry and parry--thrust between Dan and I up in the Great White North. Decide to change tactics and send a STF along the northern side of the islands as far as Umnak hunting convoys. The STF is quite stout with 2 CA, 2 modern CLs, 1 old CL, and 2 DDs. They get over 150 fighters assigned as LRCAP.

The sweep yields a plumb target of 3 LST and an AM. The Japanese gobble down this pleasant dessert and then encounter a STF of CL Honolulu and 4 DDs. A spirited fight then ensues with Honolulu putting on one heck of a gunnery display. The Japanese take damage to a CA, both modern CLs, and a DD. Nobody is in sinking condition. The Americans see a DD crippled another in bad shape and Honolulu takes 6 hits. Fairly poor result but we got the LSTs and that is NICE!

Several strikes come in at the TF but 136 Fighters smack down the attacks of 6 P-38 and 9 B-25, 6 B-25, and 9 B-25. A whole lot of those planes never return to base.

ORDERS:
Split the TF with the damaged ships moving NNW away from enemy subs and then heading for Paramushiro Jima. Dan is going to think I am done and withdrawing so I decide to make a calculated choice to send the remaining CA, CL, and 2 DDs on the same sweep again. Two convoys are spotted by recon so there might be a very good chance of another intercept.

The American STF is out it it for the moment so we might be able to score another quick little victory.

Attachments
Aleut913.jpg
Aleut913.jpg (384.74 KiB) Viewed 101 times

John 3rd

Crazy!

Post by John 3rd »

September 13, 1943

I am about to do something really CRAZY. Consider that John 3rd is going on record as ordering something CRAZY (even for me) this coming turn and you might have an idea how crazy we are talking about. This is shameless tease but all I'll say is that it involves every CV capable of 30+ Knots speed...

(Tune in in about 4 hours time for description and events)

To say it is risky and STUPID is an understatement!

John 3rd

RE: Crazy!

Post by John 3rd »

Strike Force
Vc-Adm Yamaguchi

CVs
Akagi, Hiryu, Soryu, Shokaku, Zuikaku, Taikaku, Renkaku
1 BC, 5 CA, 1 CL, 11 DD

Air Complement: 206 Zero (M5b/M8), 150 Judy, 12 Recon Judy, and 96 Jill--all Jills carrying TTs.

savelius2

RE: Crazy!

Post by savelius2 »

Good luck with the operation. I hope to see Banzais later.
John 3rd

Shaking Fist at the sky!

Post by John 3rd »

Gawd Blessed.

PERFECT work. PERFECT Full Speed jump. PERFECT everything.

Targets galore. Judy and Jill set for Range 11. Lets ROCK!

Nothing Flies at all.

The words I currently feel cannot be said on the Forum.

Attachments
KB914.jpg
KB914.jpg (232.82 KiB) Viewed 102 times

Bearcat2

RE: Shaking Fist at the sky!

Post by Bearcat2 »

I thought the max range for JP carrier planes was 8 hexes, 7 for Allied?
"After eight years as President I have only two regrets: that I have not shot Henry Clay or hanged John C. Calhoun."--1837
BillBrown

Post by BillBrown »

ORIGINAL: Termite2

Me too.
obvert

Post by obvert »

ORIGINAL: BillBrown

ORIGINAL: Termite2

Me too.

Max range for an IJN naval strikes is 8 hexes. Max range for Allies is 7 hexes.

You should still get a good portion since the majority of those ships won't reach port in one turn .
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill
John 3rd

Shaking Fist at the sky!

Post by John 3rd »

September 15, 1943

We do get some action this day.

Attachments
KB915.jpg
KB915.jpg (159.97 KiB) Viewed 103 times

John 3rd

Bust

Post by John 3rd »

September 15, 1943
Central Pacific

Well...this idea was a total bust. I make that FULL Speed jump into the shipping lane and get nothing. Move the TF to be in the center of all that shipping and see bad weather affect morning strikes by only sinking two AKs and having over 75 Strike Planes turn back. The afternoon totally closes the flightdecks and that is that. Fuel low so we begin working our way back home.

Crap.

Cannot catch a break right now. Waste of fuel and wear/tear on the ships.

Maybe Dan will move east but I doubt it...

John 3rd

Aleutians

Post by John 3rd »

September 15, 1943
The Aleutians

The Japanese staged a three day raid up north with good success. As stated earlier a TF of 2 CA, 3 CL, 2 DD change strategy and move along the northern edge of the Aleutians. This move catches Dan by surprise and the results are pretty good though the entire TF gets beat-up.

9-13 As detailed earlier the TF sinks 3 LST and an AM. They then tangle with CL Honolulu and 4 DDs. The air strikes coming in see the Americans get spanked pretty good losing some P-38s and 15-25 B-25s.

9-14 STF splits with a CA and CL heading for Attu while the remaining ships hunt some more. This TF catches a large TF of 14 LCT and sink them. The ships end up just outside of LRCAP and I brace for BAD things. More B-25 attacks with a few shot down but no damage taken. Pleasant surprise.

Order a retirement.

9-15 Catch several TFs and sink 5 more LCT and 7 PT Boats (in two groups). We have LRCAP again and the first strike of 6 Corsairs and 28 SBDs is WIPED OUT by 46 Fighters. Another small set of B-25 raids see more B-25s shot down. As celebrations begin to start on this side of the computer, a large raid of 24 P-38 and 16 SBD fight their way through CAP and drop. CA Maya takes 3 bombs and CL Sakawa takes 1. Crap. An afternoon strike puts another bomb on Maya at good cost to the raiders.

Looking at the ships, I find damage to be tolerable (mid-30s) and so I order them due north and then west. We're trying to avoid the subs.

Operations
Am getting ready to bring in Brigade to Amchitka and will do so in two days. Figuring we'll have PTs to deal with there will be lots of DDs, DM, and other small fighting ships.

Here are air losses for the 15th:

Attachments
ATA 9-15.jpg
ATA 9-15.jpg (275.05 KiB) Viewed 102 times

John 3rd

Crazy!

Post by John 3rd »

September 18, 1943
Kwajalein

Talk about tense and boring turns these days. Everything is what if with then little actual occurring.

On the 17th, the Japanese try a Deliberate Attack upon Allied Forces at Kwajalein and score a horrific 1-97 result. The SNLF Assault Brigade is gutted taking 2,552 Cas for only 15 Allied. The AF finally opens for business and the next turns sees 97 Transports fly in elements of the 56th ID. The 18th sees this all day air bridge moving troops and, in a perfectly logical move, the Allies launch a Deliberate Attack upon the Japanese. While not as spectaculur a fail as the 1-97 it does score a 1-9 result. Japanese take 209 Cas for 1529 Allied Cas as well as 51 Guns.

Result of two days action? NOTHING. We still remain stalemated.

Am contemplating a serious operation that brings in fresh supplies and troops to both Rio Namur and Kwajalein. Would use significant forces and try to set-up a CAP Trap...no decision yet here.

Attachments
Kwaj918.jpg
Kwaj918.jpg (288.16 KiB) Viewed 102 times

Return to “After Action Reports”