in truth, the AI is a fun challenge ...

AGEod goes back to the Napoleonic era and delivers the most detailed and comprehensive strategy game ever created about a time of struggle and conquest that forged modern Europe.
gwgardner

in truth, the AI is a fun challenge ...

Post by gwgardner »

The player Omnius started a thread about the games' AI, characterizing it as ignorant. It should be noted that Omnius is an inveterate game hater, loves to tear down, rather than encourage. Just look at his history of posts on Matrix, when he takes a particular disliking to a game.

In fact the WoN AI can be quite challenging when given the proper startup settings (as Zakblood clearly pointed out in Omnius' thread), and when the player doesn't set out to exploit every failure of the AI.

Play realistically, and the AI will be fun. A recent example for me was the Sealion campaign, which I've played as both the French and later as the British. In both cases the AI had valid strategies and moves. I did not play beyond 1806 in either case, but plan to do so in the future to see how it goes for the AI.

In a longer playthrough, I may end up doing something that adds to the greatness of the game - the player can at any time play a turn or two for a country normally controlled by the AI - to correct an army org problem, and such. Then continue with the AI controlling those countries.

Enjoy the massive depth of the game without nit-picking the occasional errant AI move.

zakblood

RE: in truth, the AI is a fun challenge ...

Post by zakblood »

i enjoyed the game in beta testing and still find it fun today and also a challenge, so agree with gwgardner, it's how you play and how you have it setup, it's sad a few games are getting bashed and bad press on here and also on steam by some, but in a free world with free speech that's fine, but also incorrect so it's good to see and hear from both side, not just those who shout and moan the loudest and post the most.

[&o]
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
vaalen

Post by vaalen »

Well said, Gwgardner. I agree completely.
Moltke71

Post by Moltke71 »

J'accord!! Ich stimme dazu!
Jim Cobb
vaalen

Post by vaalen »

ORIGINAL: Bismarck

J'accord!! Ich stimme dazu!
Plus 1
Luxion110

Post by Luxion110 »

WoN may be challenging to someone with little game playing or military experience, but it isn't to a grognard player. Sorry but I've seen little progress made to improve the Athena Ignorance since Napoleon's Campaigns. I'm not a game hater, I just hate games that are poorly thought out or programmed.

Check out my series showing the French January 1805 campaign start where I show just how many stupid things the Athena Ignorance does and then explain to me how those things are smart AI scripting. I could use a good laugh.
loki100

Post by loki100 »

ORIGINAL: Luxion110

WoN may be challenging to someone with little game playing or military experience, but it isn't to a grognard player. Sorry but I've seen little progress made to improve the Athena Ignorance since Napoleon's Campaigns. I'm not a game hater, I just hate games that are poorly thought out or programmed.

Check out my series showing the French January 1805 campaign start where I show just how many stupid things the Athena Ignorance does and then explain to me how those things are smart AI scripting. I could use a good laugh.

Hi Omnius, good to see you back here and on the AGEOD boards ... with a shiny new name as well
Aurelian

Post by Aurelian »

ORIGINAL: loki100

Hi Omnius, good to see you back here and on the AGEOD boards ... with a shiny new name as well

Beat me too it....[:D]
Watched a documentary on beavers. Best dam documentary I've ever seen.
loki100

Post by loki100 »

ORIGINAL: Aurelian

sorry about that [;)] ... just after reading his gem of a post on the AGEOD boards wondered if he'd returned over here too
Aurelian

Post by Aurelian »

ORIGINAL: Aurelian

sorry about that [;)] ... just after reading his gem of a post on the AGEOD boards wondered if he'd returned over here too

It's all good. :)

Just came from there.... Sad really :)
Watched a documentary on beavers. Best dam documentary I've ever seen.
EdinHouston

Post by EdinHouston »

Wow, some people really go out of their way to be rude. It's one thing to think the AI is bad, and to say so, but there is no need to bend over backwards to be offensive about it. It is really difficult to design a good AI, and almost impossible to design one capable of defeating a human player that studies the AI and knows it weaknesses. Games as complicated as the Ageod games make it extremely difficult. I played Rise of Prussia and Wars in America and no question, the AI had trouble giving a good human player a good game, especially when the AI was on the attack. But its not like wargame designers have millions of dollars and dozens of employees to design a great AI, even if that were possible, which it might not be... strategy games like Civilization have far more resources devoted to the AI, and they still cant design an AI that can beat a good human player except when they give the AI more and more units on higher difficulty settings. And games like civilization don't have factors like supply and attrition that greatly increase the complexity, and they aren't forced to adhere to historical orders of battle.
Lecivius

Post by Lecivius »

Without going into the hate, have they got most of the bugs worked out? I was vastly disappointed on the state of the game when it was released, and while it did appear like it was getting attention, the attention seemed to be rather disjointed and confused.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Return to “Wars of Napoleon”