UPDATE!

Victory and Glory: Napoleon is a game of grand strategy and fast-play tactical battles where you take the role of Napoleon Bonaparte and attempt to dominate the entire continent of Europe.
deeter

RE: UPDATE!

Post by deeter »

When will this be available for the Matrix release?

Deeter
Uncle_Joe

Post by Uncle_Joe »

I'm 3 years into my beta 1805 campaign (back to General difficulty for testing) and I have to say that it's a LOT more interesting now. I'll follow-up when I finish the campaign with complete feedback but it's a definitely much more difficult now that the AI will occasionally threaten zones even on the defense. And the potential delay in capitulation helps significantly as well (I've had to weather repeated counter-attacks a few times and that really drains the troops).

I'm not sure this is working:

* The Freindly Neutral period has been extended from 6 to 9 turns.

But in any case, I'd definitely leave it at 6 with the other new mechanics. I had Austria re-declare while I was still messing with Prussia and now Russia is in the mix and I'm having to fight across multiple fronts which is grinding down my troops.

Tentatively, I like the Cav change as well. I'm still forming a solid opinion on how it affects the flow of the combats but so far, so good (although I think the Heavy cav is still a bit too resilient to everything BUT other Heavy cav leading to that 'Main Battle Tank' feel. I've just lost my first 4-str Cav so we'll see how they do in the long term).

All in all, I'm very happy with the update. I think the strategic mechanics (especially the naval aspect which I still completely ignore) could be fleshed out a bit more but the tactical and 'operational' feel is much much improved.

Thanks!
gdrover

Post by gdrover »

We are currently working on a greatly expanded tactical naval battle system for the DLC, which will also allow the player to play as Great Britain and her allies, as well as multiplayer online and hotseat play.

Note: The extended period of Friendly Neutrality was added to the Corporal difficulty level only.

GMoney
Lascar

Post by Lascar »

Sounds great, looking forward to these enhancements.
mike0liver

Post by mike0liver »

I like the sound of being able to play Britain in the naval game. Will this include being able to play Britain (or the Allies) on land?

Cheers,
Mike
cardolan

Post by cardolan »

ORIGINAL: gdrover

We are creating an update for the game that will incorporate many of the suggestions/ changes asked for on this thread. A list of the improvements will include:
* Adding the Generals' names to their tiles
* Generals may now move for free on their own (no action point cost).
* Allowing the player to discard Event Cards
* When a nation's capital is taken, there is a percentage chance that it will surrender every turn that it is occupied. This means that nations will hold out longer and have a better chance to re-capture their capital and to receive help from other nations before surrendering.
* The Freindly Neutral period has been extended from 6 to 9 turns.
• Improved strategic AI on re-taking capitals
• Improved strategic AI for Russia: Being more aggressive in driving more armies into Austria and Prussia
• Improved tactical AI
• Adding a combat bonus for Cavalry vs. Disordered Cavalry. This means that attacking infantry with cavalry is more dangerous if there is enemy cavalry in the same area.
• ‘Passing’ in the advanced battles. When the player ‘passes’, the AI automatically wins initiative for the next move
* The 1800 scenario now lasts until 1815

That sounds great.

I have seen some gameplays of this game in youtube and i think this is the long awaited simulation of the napoleonic campaigns 1800-1815. The moment you introduce multiplayer in the game i will buy it.

I have some sugestions. Currently battlefields seems a bit dull. If you have advantage in artillery there is no reason to move at all. I think there must be some randomly generated villages/hills/forest In every battle so it would make sense to attack in order to ocupy it and gain better ground to fight. I am aware this could be hard to handle for the AI so not sure if possible.

Also, when the battle goes badly, there is not point on fighting past round 2. Its insta-retreat. The player that retreats in round 3 should suffer more in pursuit that other that keeps fighting till round 4 or 5 in order to "prepare" a better retreat. This will pose the player the decision between keep fighting to delay the enemy (and risk more losses in battle to avoid loses in pursuit) or just retreat when available knowing that will suffer more in pursuit.

James Ward

Post by James Ward »

ORIGINAL: cardolan

I have some sugestions. Currently battlefields seems a bit dull. If you have advantage in artillery there is no reason to move at all. I think there must be some randomly generated villages/hills/forest In every battle so it would make sense to attack in order to ocupy it and gain better ground to fight. I am aware this could be hard to handle for the AI so not sure if possible.

Also, when the battle goes badly, there is not point on fighting past round 2. Its insta-retreat. The player that retreats in round 3 should suffer more in pursuit that other that keeps fighting till round 4 or 5 in order to "prepare" a better retreat. This will pose the player the decision between keep fighting to delay the enemy (and risk more losses in battle to avoid loses in pursuit) or just retreat when available knowing that will suffer more in pursuit.

I like both these ideas. Not sure if the system could handle them but if it could they would add a lot.
Uncle_Joe

Post by Uncle_Joe »

Yes I thought automatic terrain nearly every battle would help change things up as well. The AI would have to be 'taught' how to react, but in general it should be a fairly easy algorithm to determine if it's worth the risk to advance to take a piece of terrain.

Return to “Victory and Glory: Napoleon”