OT : Hearts of Iron 4 Releasing 6 Jun

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

fulcrum28

RE: OT : Hearts of Iron 4 Releasing 6 Jun

Post by fulcrum28 »

i will buy it because i bought and played hoi2 and hoi3 but i'm afriad they have focused more on arcade and visual effects rather than in a strategy version with counters..but it is better to try and see..what happens..
The most comprehensive website on the IJN Imperial Japanese Navy Y:"Let us enjoy the beauty of the moon (sinking aboard Hiryu)
btd64

Post by btd64 »

The game is sold in 3 sizes. The large cost $89.99. It comes with a bunch of stuff plus a voucher for the next two expansion packs....GP
Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester
New Game Development Team

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton
patrickl

Post by patrickl »

ORIGINAL: General Patton

The game is sold in 3 sizes. The large cost $89.99. It comes with a bunch of stuff plus a voucher for the next two expansion packs....GP

Oh oh, that is not cheap.[X(] It has got to be very good.
Banner designed by rogueusmc
Revthought

Post by Revthought »

ORIGINAL: Ambassador

Well, HoI3 had its share of good ideas, but a few questionable design choices. I was a little bit disappointed overall by it, much like EU3. But seeing as EU4 is much better, I have some hopes for HoI4.

However, I play Paradox games since EU1 (but much less since I've found some obscure game on WWII called WitP), so I'll do as others and wait three to six months before buying the game. Probably wait the usual Christmas special offers on Steam as well...

And thank you for pointing Stellaris, never heard of it before. Looks interesting, but same rule as above : I'll wait a few months.[:)]

I gave up on HOI3 in the first week, when I realized that Finland always became an Allied power and after watching (while playing the Soviet Union) the Mexican army land in Northern Germany in 1940.

Playing at war is a far better vocation than making people fight in them.
Anachro

Post by Anachro »

ORIGINAL: Revthought
I gave up on HOI3 in the first week, when I realized that Finland always became an Allied power and after watching (while playing the Soviet Union) the Mexican army land in Northern Germany in 1940.

If that's you criteria, then boy are you in store for some craziness in HoI4...
"Now excuse me while I go polish my balls ..." - BBfanboy
JocMeister

Post by JocMeister »

I loved HoI2. One of my most played games ever. Wasn´t too fond of nr. 3 though...

I´ll watch from the sidelines this time.
jakla1027

Post by jakla1027 »

Found a YouTube live stream video with a press account, kinda long, but good overview of HoI4.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGtGjiscqmY

You can also get a steam key for a little less at this website,

https://www.g2a.com/hearts-of-iron-iv-c ... lobal.html

Use discount code: FRANK at checkout

Hope it helps anyone interested[:'(]
sanch

Post by sanch »

I'll wait. I have enough other things to do that I can wait for the expansions and the price to come down. Heck, I just picked up Civ 4 Complete for USD$7.50. Bugs are long gone, and the price is right!
btd64

Post by btd64 »

I'm going to wait a while. Maybe until the people who bought it talk about how much or little they liked it....GP
Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester
New Game Development Team

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton
Jorge_Stanbury

Post by Jorge_Stanbury »

I was planning to buy Stellaris, but after reading some Paradox forum comments, I decided to look again in 3 months... I will also check HOI4 comments then... [;)]
CaptBeefheart

Post by CaptBeefheart »

The negative reviews on Steam are fairly telling. I'll probably wait two years on this one.

Cheers,
CC
Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.
robinsa

Post by robinsa »

ORIGINAL: Commander Cody

The negative reviews on Steam are fairly telling. I'll probably wait two years on this one.

Cheers,
CC
Well they are greatly outnumbered by the positive reviews. I just got the game but havnt got around to playing it yet. I hear the biggest problem people have is with the UI but after years of experience with WITPAE I don't fear titles from Paradox. :)
Rising-Sun

Post by Rising-Sun »

The game is alright, just take time to get use to it. Only infos you gonna find such as the manual is ingame wiki and doesn't cover much. I didn't like the game much, felt like it has less interests than the previous HoI Series. There are some misspell and inaccurate Order of Battle setup at the moment. So there no telling what will happen in the future. Glad I didn't pay much for this game, IMO isn't worth more than twenty US dollars.
Numdydar

Post by Numdydar »

To each their own [:)]

I've gotten to mid '41 as Italy using a non-historical setting on normal and it has been a blast. Starting from 1936.

I have created a completely separate faction from Germany and have Turkey and Bulgaria in it. The US got attacked by Japan in early '40 and the USSR is still neutral and not attacked yet. Germany was able to completely overrun France so no Vichy. China is completely gone as well. The PI is still US controlled while Japan looks to be pushing into India.

I played a lot of HoI 3. Could not get into the earlier versions. So far everything works great. I agree the UI needs a little more work, but it gets the job done in the current state. Especially if you watch some videos. So I can certainly recommend it. It is much better than HoI 3 and Paradox delaying the release really has made a big difference. Not a single CTD or game stopping bug yet [:)]

I'm actually getting ready to start building CV's [X(]. To me that alone is worth the price lol.
Olorin

Post by Olorin »

HoI3 is the better game by far.
LoBaron

Post by LoBaron »

Cheers,
CC

I will wait a bit as well - as I usually do with paradox titles - but it seems your and my steam account exist in different parallel universes.

ORIGINAL: Olorin

I belive the comment below hits the nail. A direct comparision does not make sense and does neither game justice.

Jorge_Stanbury

Post by Jorge_Stanbury »

ORIGINAL: Numdydar

I'm actually getting ready to start building CV's [X(]. To me that alone is worth the price lol.

how is naval warfare? that Achilles heel in all Paradox games...

I remember building CVs in HOI-2, but fighting with them in any meaningful way was not possible
robinsa

Post by robinsa »

ORIGINAL: LoBaron

Cheers,
CC

I will wait a bit as well - as I usually do with paradox titles - but it seems your and my steam account exist in different parallel universes.

ORIGINAL: Olorin

I belive the comment below hits the nail. A direct comparision does not make sense and does neither game justice.

While I've many times felt that paradox titles lack polish by release I have to say this one is different. It already feels like they've added a couple of expansions to be honest. It's polished to the point where I cant see what they can expand upon in the future. I've also had 0 crashes with about 6 hours of game play. The game strikes a good balance between casual ease of management and depth. After having spent some hours to learn the UI and mechanics I'm very happy with the game. This is my best buy in a while.

It's not as "realistic" as WITPAE but directed to a more casual audience. Despite being casual and a-historical I still find it strangely involving. Maybe I will feel different about it in a week but for now I have to say it's a solid game that I recommend. I still think WITPAE as the better game but for me they fill two different roles.
robinsa

Post by robinsa »

ORIGINAL: Jorge_Stanbury

ORIGINAL: Numdydar

how is naval warfare? that Achilles heel in all Paradox games...

I remember building CVs in HOI-2, but fighting with them in any meaningful way was not possible
I find it good for what it is. There is no detailed control over the individual units like in WITPAE and you only assign them to a mission type in a region. This will then affect how likely they are to find the enemy and their starting positions on the "board" where the battle is fought out. Here is a description of how it works: http://www.hoi4wiki.com/Naval_warfare#Naval_Combat

I haven't really had any naval confrontations in my game so far but from what I've experienced so far it works fine. I hear battleships are a-historically powerful in the later years which makes a BB fanboy like me happy.

Edit: Added the quote
CaptBeefheart

Post by CaptBeefheart »

Just to explain, the negative reviews tell me a lot about whether my expectations would be met. To me "95% positive vs. 5% negative" isn't a meaningful metric. For everyone else, it may be a great game. It's great some of you guys like it off the bat.

I started with HOI1 which caught my eye at a computer store years ago and have learned over the years that it's best to wait on Paradox titles if you have enough other games, such as AE, to play.

There are some very entertaining AARs from the HOI series, such as "Battleships for Bhutan," in which the author eventually carved a big enough territory and amassed enough tech and industry to build a battleship playing the lonely country of Bhutan. Another guy more or less took over the world using only tac bombers to destroy enemy ground forces. The series offers extensive sandbox possibilities for creative types. I look forward to giving HOI4 a go in due course.

Cheers,
CC
Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”