Transfer to new computer

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

fabertong

Transfer to new computer

Post by fabertong »

Hi Guys......old slow laptop is dead....long live new laptop.

Looking for some advice about the best way to transfer WitP AE from
dying old laptop onto bright shiny new laptop.

Any and all advice welcome.....as, well, technically I'm useless.

Thanks
Lokasenna

RE: Transfer to new computer

Post by Lokasenna »

All you need to do is transfer your save files, and it would be a good idea to make copies of your database files as well (just in case you made any changes or updates). Don't forget to grab your Beta2 folder if you are not using the latest version, so that you can continue using your current version.
RogerJNeilson

Post by RogerJNeilson »

Beg to differ, but you must do one install of the standard WITPAE (doesn't matter what version but you need it in the registry. You can then create as many other installs as you like. I have a separate install for every game I am playing.

Roger
An unplanned dynasty: Roger Neilson, Roger Neilson 11, Roger Neilson 3 previous posts 898+1515 + 1126 = 3539.....Finally completed my game which started the day WITP:AE was released
bilbow

Post by bilbow »

About a year ago I had a new computer, transferred everything with Laplink. Worked fine
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile- hoping it will eat him last
- Winston Churchill
wdolson

Post by wdolson »

Another way to do it is if the old computer won't boot is pull the drive out of it and get an external drive "toaster" that plugs into the new computer via USB. After installing AE on the new machine to get the stuff into the registry that needs to be there, just copy the entire AE folder from the old computer to the new, same location on the new drive. You may have to play with some of the command line flags as different computers have different problems with the DirectX calls, but everything from the old mods, games in progress, etc. will be copied to the new computer and ready to go where you left off.

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

ORIGINAL: Roger Neilson 3

Beg to differ, but you must do one install of the standard WITPAE (doesn't matter what version but you need it in the registry. You can then create as many other installs as you like. I have a separate install for every game I am playing.

Roger

This is what I meant. Just install on the new machine, but once you've done that you can do anything you want within the game directory (save files, scenario data, etc.). You just need to get the registry set up properly via the installation.

ORIGINAL: wdolson

Another way to do it is if the old computer won't boot is pull the drive out of it and get an external drive "toaster" that plugs into the new computer via USB. After installing AE on the new machine to get the stuff into the registry that needs to be there, just copy the entire AE folder from the old computer to the new, same location on the new drive. You may have to play with some of the command line flags as different computers have different problems with the DirectX calls, but everything from the old mods, games in progress, etc. will be copied to the new computer and ready to go where you left off.

Bill

If one is comfortable with regedit, one can pull installation data for most games this way and successfully move installations to another computer by exporting the registry key and then importing on the new computer - in case one has lost one's original installation disc or what have you.
HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

You can also copy entire game folders from one machine to another as long as you have the original installation to set the registry.

For my mod games I create a folder named for the mod such as WITPAE-DBB for my babes games.

I copied the entire contents of my WITPAE folder making the main folder a subfolder of WITPAE-DBB.
Install all of the DBB mods and scenarios to the appropriate subfolders, create a desktop short to the correct executable, copy in my command line switches and I'm off and running with a DBB game folder.

Did the same for Between the Storms and Focus Pacific.
Hans

fabertong

Post by fabertong »

Thanks for all the help guys.

Have successfully downloaded both my Vanilla AE and a separate Babes AE.

Bit more help required.....while I can start a new game in the Babes set-up.....

when I download a PBEM turn the save game fails to load!

Any ideas/suggestions?

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”