The Great Patriotic War (STE78 vs 821bobo)

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21

Mamluke

RE: September 1942

Post by Mamluke »

ORIGINAL: STEF78

About Baku

Even with MtnInf, it will not be easy for the german to crack the line. My defensive CV are climbing with the forts and the Pzd are gone north!
They can't be everywhere every time!

About the Finns

I had a bad luck with the weather in the north. Bobo won't make twice the same error. The line is now reinforced, the front held by finnish units shortened...

I will have to use massive artillery to break the line. It's just a question of time...

but the point Im trying to make is that you can not truly rest upon CV alone! mtn inf fight better in Mountains, regular Inf fight worse, something that is just not indicated in CV, hell look at that battle in my quote, what looked like an even fight (odds of 1:1) became 4:1!!
but yes that is likely the more extreme example, they must have gotten EVERY dice roll right, regardless, it shows the true power of the gebeirsjagger. (Im a really great fan of Mtn.Inf in general ^^)

STEF78

Breakthrough!!!

Post by STEF78 »

Turn 65, 10th september 1942

Bad news this week! The german manage to pierce our lines near Kursk. The encirclement is not completed thanks to our fierce resistance.

I manage to create a 30 miles wide corridor but some units won't be able to escape. Strong counterattacks from Voronejh failed to cut the spearhead.

GHC 9-0-3
SHC 10-0-4
STEF78

Breakthrough!!!

Post by STEF78 »

Turn 65, 10th september 1942

An heavy attack failed near Stalingrad... I should think about murdering Model....

Near Baku, everything is quiet. It's looks like a pat

GHC 9-0-3
SHC 10-0-4
STEF78

September 1942

Post by STEF78 »

Turn 66, 17 september 1942

Bobo did the job.. the Pocket is well sealed.

I give up the surrounded units and prepare the next line of defence

GHC 9-0-3
SHC 10-0-4
STEF78

September 1942

Post by STEF78 »

Turn 66, 17th september 1942

Another success near Leningrad, but axes units are strongly reinforced

And a focus on the air war, still winning

GHC 9-0-3
SHC 10-0-4
STEF78

September 1942

Post by STEF78 »

Stalingrad

Even if the german best mobile units are gone to Voronejh, they are still too strong.

And a look on the OOB. Despite a major encirclement (Don), a minor (Astrakhan)and the loss of an Army in Western Caucaus, I'm in better shape than in june.

GHC 9-0-3
SHC 10-0-4
chaos45

Post by chaos45 »

Bobo did a solid job on the offensive 2 years....however I can see from the map the tide should start to turn over this winter....so now it will be seen how good his defense skills are.

His taking most of the south and slightly higher Soviet losses in attacks may slow your ability to hit the higher army number levels needed for true dominance but I think by the end of this winter 42/43 You will be the one on the attack.
jwolf

Post by jwolf »

ORIGINAL: chaos45
...but I think by the end of this winter 42/43 You will be the one on the attack.

When that happens, the long front line should be to the Soviets' advantage.
STEF78

Post by STEF78 »

Bobo did a solid job on the offensive 2 years....however I can see from the map the tide should start to turn over this winter....so now it will be seen how good his defense skills are.

His taking most of the south and slightly higher Soviet losses in attacks may slow your ability to hit the higher army number levels needed for true dominance but I think by the end of this winter 42/43 You will be the one on the attack.
Bobo is a very good german player. The fight for Stalino during the winter 41/42 was a masterpiece!

Currently russian army is strengthening faster than the german but I still don't have half the equivalent of his PzG.

Winter will be interesting but I'm really waiting for spring 1943
GHC 9-0-3
SHC 10-0-4
STEF78

Post by STEF78 »

ORIGINAL: jwolf

...but I think by the end of this winter 42/43 You will be the one on the attack.

When that happens, the long front line should be to the Soviets' advantage.
+1
GHC 9-0-3
SHC 10-0-4
STEF78

September 1942

Post by STEF78 »

Turn 67, 24th september 1942

Some minor fights in secondary areas such as Leningrad....

... but the main theater is around Orel. The pocket is almost cleared and the germans are pushing forward to the north-east.

I give some ground, mud should appear within 2 weeks

GHC 9-0-3
SHC 10-0-4
EwaldvonKleist

Post by EwaldvonKleist »

From a noob point of view, this soviet army looks like an impenetrable wall of men/guns/tanks/trenches/rivers/fortified areas/bad and good vodka/diehard stalinists etc. Looks like it needs a lot of practice to pull out the encirclements despite this wall of steel. I would never even see a chance here.
STEF78

Post by STEF78 »

ORIGINAL: EwaldvonKleist

From a noob point of view, this soviet army looks like an impenetrable wall of men/guns/tanks/trenches/rivers/fortified areas/bad and good vodka/diehard stalinists etc. Looks like it needs a lot of practice to pull out the encirclements despite this wall of steel. I would never even see a chance here.
The CV aren't shown at this scale but with Inf Divs at contact, the german player can break a 3 hexes deep defence.

In fact the wall is thick on the first line, correct on the second, other units (except stacks ready for counterattacks) are mostly here for digging
GHC 9-0-3
SHC 10-0-4
Mamluke

Post by Mamluke »

Man, I really starting to miss this AAR, I need my fix! how far will the Germans go? how strong will the Soviets be come winter?

STEF78

October 1942

Post by STEF78 »

Turn 68, 1st october 1942

Mud is close now... all pictures are before my moves

some sectors of the front are quiet such as Baku

other minor sectors are active such as Leningrad

But the main fight remain between Tula and Voronejh. The german have cleared the pockets and are pushing north east...

Orel is lost

GHC 9-0-3
SHC 10-0-4
STEF78

october 1942

Post by STEF78 »

ORIGINAL: Mamluke

Man, I really starting to miss this AAR, I need my fix! how far will the Germans go? how strong will the Soviets be come winter?

Thanks for reading and commenting the AAR
GHC 9-0-3
SHC 10-0-4
ericv

Post by ericv »

ORIGINAL: Mamluke

same here
STEF78

October 1942

Post by STEF78 »

Turn 69, 8th october 1942

Fight intensity is weaker as mud is close.

South of Leningrad, the germans managed to re-establish a straight front line

Near Stalingrad, some of my units crossed the Volga, they were heavily push back.

GHC 9-0-3
SHC 10-0-4
STEF78

Summer 1942 campaign

Post by STEF78 »

An overview of the summer 1942 campaign,

I really enjoyed playing this part of WITE!

Some thoughts:
- I did a mistake while allowing him to cross both Don and Donets with his first breakthrough. I was over confident.
- Bobo was keen on maintaining a strong momentum during the summer. The early fall of Grozny was a real surprise and he was close from taking Baku
- The return of soviet destroyed units is a huge game changer. Without this rule, the front would be at least at the Oka and Stalingrad would have Fallen.
- As usual, pocketing units is the key...
- Always short of AP [:(]

GHC 9-0-3
SHC 10-0-4
EwaldvonKleist

RE: Summer 1942 campaign

Post by EwaldvonKleist »

Interesting, well done overview. Almost entirely historical:
+Leningrad. You can maybe debate the "hitler did not want it" topic but its definitely an advantage
+much better in the south
+center is debatable but it looks more stable than historical

-no Stalingrad
-no Voronezh

So maybe a small advantage for german player (who will most likely not allow a Stalingrad (unluckily).
Thx for the AAR!

Return to “After Action Reports”