In Game Convoys and 1942 AA Pool

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

ASLifer

In Game Convoys and 1942 AA Pool

Post by ASLifer »

A Question:

WitP-AE introduced the in game convoys that show up at various off board bases, after I forget what patch, but I never understood their use.
there is no mention of them, as far as I remember, in the original game manual and I don't remember reading about their use when they were introduced to game.
I also don't remember reading about the 1942 AA Pool that shows up at Eastern USA at end of May 1942. If anyone can explain their use to me, and/or what I can do with them or the
1942 AA Pool, I'd appreciate it. Also, If you could direct me to the necessary literature that explains what the significance of them are, I'd also appreciate it. It's a part
of the game I don't understand and I'd like to learn..

Thank You
David
"You see what you wanna see, And you hear what you wanna hear."
Harry Nilsson "The Point"
wdolson

RE: In Game Convoys and 1942 AA Pool

Post by wdolson »

They have been there since the start in AE. This is a mechanism to dump excess supply and fuel at certain off map bases as well as put devices into the pools in blobs. The unit appears on map on the given date, then withdraws by itself a few days later leaving the supply and fuel at the base and the devices in the pools. The 1942 AA blob represents the US combing through units and collecting every available weapon for front line units. The Cape Town convoys were historical convoys from the UK or US to deliver supplies and equipment to Australia and India.

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
Yaab

Post by Yaab »

I was perplexed by the convoys too at start, even more because of their Coastal Artillery flag. Maybe Alfred can add some info about them in the updated manual?
Revthought

Post by Revthought »

programmer

Interesting. I ignore these completely and run my own East Coat --> Capetown convoys. I have noticed that you can move units off map this way, but this feels super gamey so I only love units with on-map shipping.
Playing at war is a far better vocation than making people fight in them.
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: Revthought
programmer

Interesting. I ignore these completely and run my own East Coat --> Capetown convoys. I have noticed that you can move units off map this way, but this feels super gamey so I only love units with on-map shipping.

It's not gamey. The entire Atlantic fleet OOB is not represented in the game. Doesn't mean it wasn't there.

A long time since I checked, but I think using a Move command to move an LCU off-map is slower then putting them on ships. It's not a free mechanism. It's just a choice.
The Moose
ASLifer

Post by ASLifer »

Thanks guys, I understand their intended use now. I almost loaded the 1942 AA Pool onto transports. lol I wonder what that woulda done...
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: ASLifer

Thanks guys, I understand their intended use now. I almost loaded the 1942 AA Pool onto transports. lol I wonder what that woulda done...

Never tried, but I'm sure there's error trapping to stop a convoy from being moved. They have their own code I think. They're not naval and they aren't "really" CD LCUs. They auto-disband in non-national bases.
The Moose
Grfin Zeppelin

Post by Grfin Zeppelin »

Just deliver them to Osaka please, you get as much Nates as you can carry in return.

btd64

Post by btd64 »

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

Never tried, but I'm sure there's error trapping to stop a convoy from being moved. They have their own code I think. They're not naval and they aren't "really" CD LCUs. They auto-disband in non-national bases.

I believe the difference is, Naval when disbanded in port gives you ships with unloaded cargo and that would not work.
LCU's, as most of you know, when disbanded put what they have into the pools, so that will work.[:)]....GP
Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester
New Game Development Team

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: General Patton

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

I believe the difference is, Naval when disbanded in port gives you ships with unloaded cargo and that would not work.
LCU's, as most of you know, when disbanded put what they have into the pools, so that will work.[:)]....GP

I just did a quick check. Formed both a Transport and an Amphib TF in CT where a convoy is two days from the auto-disband. It's not offered as a unit that can be loaded. And it shouldn't be as this convoy--which is carried as an LCU in the UI--has 20 merchant ships in it, plus a whole lot of loose devices. These guys are in-game hybrids, just DB items that operate in the off-map world under their own rules.
The Moose
rustysi

Post by rustysi »

ORIGINAL: Gräfin Zeppelin

Just deliver them to Osaka please, you get as much Nates as you can carry in return.

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
ASLifer

Post by ASLifer »

Just a quick note to Bullwinkle's post. The 1942 AA Pool is loadable, I actually started to load them on transports but because they were a
supply group LCU and I wasn't sure what would happen, I unloaded them and asked this question in forums before I did a booboo.
lol, maybe in another game at some time when they show up, I'll load them on Transports and see what happens. Ya know just as an experimental
kinda thing. Again, thanks for the responses, I understand the off board convoy system now but curiosity is gonna make me load those suckers (the
1942 AA Pool) and when I do, I'll post the outcome here for everyone to laugh at. Good gaming...

Thanks
David
crsutton

Post by crsutton »

ORIGINAL: Revthought
programmer

No it is not gamey. The Allies had plenty of shipping and the time it takes to move on map vs in a transport TF is actually slower. In fact, you can run any TF between off map bases at "full speed" without running out of fuel or taking damage. So this is probably a bit gamey as it will generally cut the time in half over moving off map without using a TF.
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

Just a quick note to Bullwinkle's post. The 1942 AA Pool is loadable, I actually started to load them on transports but because they were a
supply group LCU and I wasn't sure what would happen, I unloaded them and asked this question in forums before I did a booboo.
lol, maybe in another game at some time when they show up, I'll load them on Transports and see what happens. Ya know just as an experimental
kinda thing. Again, thanks for the responses, I understand the off board convoy system now but curiosity is gonna make me load those suckers (the
1942 AA Pool) and when I do, I'll post the outcome here for everyone to laugh at. Good gaming...

Thanks
David

I checked and they're not Static as all the other convoys are. They should be. Probably a boo boo in the original stock OOB. But they are Restricted, assigned to West Coast, although they appear at East Coast. At a load cost of over 52,000 you could eat up a lot of ships to send them to off to CT. I have no idea what would happen if their disband-to-pool date rolled around and they were on ships. They're so obviously a convoy I never touched them. They come, they disband. You seem to have found an unopened closet.
The Moose
btd64

Post by btd64 »

Or can of worms....GP
Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester
New Game Development Team

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: General Patton

Or can of worms....GP

Seven years in this summer and there are still cans or closets or whatever. [:)]
The Moose

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”