Fort McMurray: an entire city on fire!

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

radic202

Fort McMurray: an entire city on fire!

Post by radic202 »

Hey Gang:

As a fellow Matrix Member I ask that all your prayers and thoughts go for all the residents of Fort McMurray Alberta as their entire city goes up in flames. They have managed to evacuate over 88 000 people and some neighbourghoods have lost over 90% of their homes and businesses.

As you can see here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSHTvwJ7tmw

and the news articles here:

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canad ... es-to-burn

Just found out that my good friends have made it to Edmonton after an 8 hour drive on the only highway out of there south. Him his wife and 3 kids (3, 7 and 9) are all safe and sound in a shelter. Currently trying to find some way to get them back home to Ottawa. They have lost everything except the clothes on their backs and their car.

Was glad to see that the Queen and Prince Philip sent over their heartfelt thoughts and prayers.

It is much harder to think about doing something than actually doing it!
wings7

RE: Fort McMurray: an entire city on fire!

Post by wings7 »

Prayers to all!
Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427
Orm

Post by Orm »

Prayers to all the residents in Alberta that are affected by the fire.
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
british exil

Post by british exil »

Just read the links and seen the pictures.
Hard to comprehend.

Mat
"It is not enough to expect a man to pay for the best, you must also give him what he pays for." Alfred Dunhill

WitE,UV,AT,ATG,FoF,FPCRS
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

That's pretty horrifying - I hope everyone manages to get out safely!
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Rodwonder

Post by Rodwonder »

Prayers
Rod T DeMore
bairdlander2

Post by bairdlander2 »

I worked there 2010-2013 and stayed in the camps where the evacuee's are being housed.I know several people working and staying in camp for their shifts and who just left as the oil plants are being shut down.As they were leaving,the town resident's arrived,very stressed and upset at losing their homes.1600 homes gone.9 billion in damage so far.
stevemk1a

Post by stevemk1a »

Very bad situation. I am amazed and thankful there hasn't been more injured or killed. Really bad fire season this early on!
danlongman

Post by danlongman »

Most of the refugees are coming here. I lived in Fort Mcmurray for some years.
It is a little crazy.
"Patriotism: Your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it." - George Bernard Shaw
Rising-Sun

Post by Rising-Sun »

Just noticed this on msn, sad to see something like this happen.
Jim D Burns

Post by Jim D Burns »

This reminds me of the Oakland hills fire in 1991. Over 3000 structures were destroyd in a single day. I spent the entire day shuttling people down out of the hills and I can tell you being in a fire like this feels like its a living breathing monster.

I can remember watching homes explode into flaming fireballs from radiant heat (no fire touched them at all, just the heat) in my rear view mirror as we raced down the hill during one evacuation run. A guy in front of me riding a motorcycle got second and third degree burns as we passed a wall of fire on our left that he was exposed to for no more than a few seconds. I'm amazed he didn't crash his bike, but I guess the fear made him hang on through the pain.

25 poeple died during the Oakland fire including one of our own, Officer John Grubensky. Witnesses that he helped evacuate from the Hiller Highlands area stated they were amazed as he calmly stood in the road directing peoples cars out of the danger through the smoke and fire. One of the last to get out alive said John calmly bent down and put his pant leg out which had caught fire and then continued directing people to saftey. His body was found over top the body of a woman who he had tried to cover with his body when the fire overtook them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oakland_firestorm_of_1991

http://www.odmp.org/officer/266-officer ... -grubensky

My heart goes out to the people of Fort McMurray, firestorms like this are true hell.

Jim
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

I've never associated these sorts of fires with Canada.

The size of the thing is just difficult to take in.

Thoughts with our Canadian cousins.
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815

Return to “General Discussion”