reinforcing base under attack

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Ormbane

reinforcing base under attack

Post by Ormbane »

Port Moresby is being attacked by Japanese forces. If I send reinforcements by ship do they need to be in amphibious mode, or can they be shipped in normal mode? I currently hold the port but Japanese forces are in the same hex.
btd64

RE: reinforcing base under attack

Post by btd64 »

Send them in amphibious/combat mode. They can fight right off the ships. make sure you have aircover. If the base is in serious trouble, don't waste the time, ships, or troops....GP
Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester
New Game Development Team

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton
rustysi

Post by rustysi »

Does he have air superiority in the area? If so you may have trouble getting in there.
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
Leandros

Post by Leandros »

ORIGINAL: Ormbane

Port Moresby is being attacked by Japanese forces. If I send reinforcements by ship do they need to be in amphibious mode, or can they be shipped in normal mode? I currently hold the port but Japanese forces are in the same hex.

If you send in reinforcements (it is important you do - Port Moresby is pivotal, as it was in RL) remember to use
military, not civilian, ships, otherwise you shall have little use of their amphibious capability (faster
unloading) - the unloading takes longer time. Do not despair, I have had several landings in PM (one is actually
going on at the moment) - all have been beaten back by a proper number of reinforcements.

Good tactics are to send in a destroyer force each night (use "full speed" to get out of there fast) to rupture his
landing ship convoys - or bombard his invasion beaches. Remember, if you have any such task force assigned for
"bombardment" they shall usually avoid battle with enemy surface naval forces. Just my impression. If you have
fighter protection in PM these destroyers (or cruisers) can even be based in PM itself.

Fred
River Wide, Ocean Deep - a book on Operation Sea Lion - www.fredleander.com
Saving MacArthur - a book series on how The Philippines were saved - in 1942! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D3 ... rw_dp_labf
HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

Fred,

It's very likely he is describing an early '42 situation wherein the majority of the Allies purpose built military transports have not yet been able to deploy to that theater in sufficient numbers to be of help.

GP gave good advice, but failed to address your question directly. Until you lose the base you control the port and CAN unload regular transport TFs there. However the troops will unload in strategic mode and take 1-3 days to unpack and get into combat mode, so the better choice is to use an amphibious TF so the troops unload in combat mode.

Also faster getting the troops there as you don't have to wait at the embarkation port for them to pack into strategic mode before they can load.

If you don't know what Fred means by Military transports, rather than civilian transports, the military ones are APs and AKs, the civilian ones are xAPs and xAKs.

The military transports unload across beaches at a much higher rate, getting more troops ashore faster.
Hans

Leandros

Post by Leandros »

Tks for clarifying my posting, Hans.

Fred
River Wide, Ocean Deep - a book on Operation Sea Lion - www.fredleander.com
Saving MacArthur - a book series on how The Philippines were saved - in 1942! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D3 ... rw_dp_labf
GetAssista

Post by GetAssista »

Airlifting in reinforcements is also classical anti-invasion tactics. Catalinas work ok early.
AS GP said, first thing to do is to assess the gravity. No reason to lose more troops if the base falls anyway
dr.hal

Post by dr.hal »

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

The military transports unload across beaches at a much higher rate, getting more troops ashore faster.

I believe you are right in the above Hans if you are assaulting an enemy held position, but if you hold the port, as this case indicates, then there is no "higher rate" per say. Transports unload at the rate of the port (plus various assisting agents such as naval support units) not at "across the beaches" rate. Thus the only advantage in unloading in a owner held port would be if the troops are "amphibious" then they unload in combat mode, being able to fight right away without penalty (other than any disruption as a result of being on ship).
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: dr.hal

I believe you are right in the above Hans if you are assaulting an enemy held position, but if you hold the port, as this case indicates, then there is no "higher rate" per say. Transports unload at the rate of the port (plus various assisting agents such as naval support units) not at "across the beaches" rate. Thus the only advantage in unloading in a owner held port would be if the troops are "amphibious" then they unload in combat mode, being able to fight right away without penalty (other than any disruption as a result of being on ship).
The amphib mode has the additional benefit that if the port cannot dock all the ships at once, the TF can be split with some unloading normally at the dock and the remaining unloading amphibiously - which is faster than by lighter (not docked, normal transfer by barges).
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

ORIGINAL: dr.hal

You are mistaken Hal. Read 6.3.3.3.2.2. Military amphibs uload at higher rates both over the beach and when docked at friend ly ports. They are just better all around.

Hans

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”