Lambs to the slaughter (Lowpe (J) vs Jocke; BillBrown (A)) Finished

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

ny59giants

RE: Manila Falls

Post by ny59giants »

I've lost Wasp to 3 TT hits from sub in SoPac before. She is more like Japanese CVs in that she is kind of brittle.

Great insight on moonlight. [&o] Looks like another detail I need to plan for as Allies in '42 and '43 when conducting offensive ops. I had a BB hit (TF was with 3 fast BBs and 8 DDs) with 2 TT from just 2 MTBs in Aleutians with low moonlight and then had to put up with John's banzai afterwards. [:(]
[center]Image[/center]
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

ORIGINAL: ny59giants

I've lost Wasp to 3 TT hits from sub in SoPac before. She is more like Japanese CVs in that she is kind of brittle.

Great insight on moonlight. [&o] Looks like another detail I need to plan for as Allies in '42 and '43 when conducting offensive ops. I had a BB hit (TF was with 3 fast BBs and 8 DDs) with 2 TT from just 2 MTBs in Aleutians with low moonlight and then had to put up with John's banzai afterwards. [:(]

The Wasp has a very low durability, under 60 I think, so I would expect four torpedoes to do her in. It was two different Iboats that put them into her, and perhaps she was able to fly off her planes after the first attack? Or maybe she is wallowing, and taking on water right now with all her planes still on board. That would be a pity since Jocke would be able to save the pilots...but better than the craft and pilots flying off.

Anyhow, I have been paying attention to moonlight for a long time now...but usually with respect to PT boats and MTBs. I have expanded that thought process out further to include night naval aerial attacks, night bombing, submarines, surface engagements, and bombardments.

Heartening to hear she went down with 3 hits....thanks.[&o]
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

ORIGINAL: ny59giants

The Wasp has a very low durability, under 60 I think, so I would expect four torpedoes to do her in. It was two different Iboats that put them into her, and perhaps she was able to fly off her planes after the first attack? Or maybe she is wallowing, and taking on water right now with all her planes still on board. That would be a pity since Jocke would be able to save the pilots...but better than the craft and pilots flying off.

Anyhow, I have been paying attention to moonlight for a long time now...but usually with respect to PT boats and MTBs. I have expanded that thought process out further to include night naval aerial attacks, night bombing, submarines, surface engagements, and bombardments.

Heartening to hear she went down with 3 hits....thanks.[&o]

I've lost Lexington to 1 or maybe 2 hits before. Somewhat fluky, I think.

In one of my games, Wasp took 3 aerial torpedoes (lower effect rating than the 53cm) and lived, with an ammo explosion. I think second time in the same game. Saratoga, on the other hand, took 4 and sank like a rock. Damage rolls... with those damage messages, I would wager she's a goner, but it is possible that she makes it.
Encircled

Post by Encircled »

Best bet she will be making one hex a phase, or even one hex a turn.

With 4 I-boats in range, she's toast!
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

ORIGINAL: SqzMyLemon

Well played! Nemo would be proud. You set this up and Jocke acted exactly as you wanted. He's going to be so pissed. [:D]

Lets' not get carried away here...but Jocke is certainly upset.[;)] He thinks Japanese Iboats are incredibly overpowered.

I don't think he has any idea how much thought and planning went into that strike.
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

ORIGINAL: Encircled

Best bet she will be making one hex a phase, or even one hex a turn.

With 4 I-boats in range, she's toast!

Here is hoping Lok and Encircled. I dislike letting cripples get away. No turn this morning so Jocke is still hurting, and just two days ago he was gently prodding me to finish my turn faster.

All that is ok, as I need the time for my other game and wouldn't really mind a slow down here.
obvert

Post by obvert »

This happens. Wait until you win a CV battle. I had to make some concessions to keep going after that. He is tough though and will make it through Im sure.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

Here is the 6/42 Wasp with the hideous upgrade in 10/42.

I sure hope she is gone, that would be 3 fleet carriers on the bottom. No matter what, she won't be around for the fireworks this month.

Attachments
1k8.jpg
1k8.jpg (143.31 KiB) Viewed 68 times
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

1st Week of Dec, 1942

From Jocke's message he implies that the Wasp is sunk.

He is pretty irate about how overpowered Iboats are...methinks he gets only one side of the story.

Anyhow, we tangle with a DMS squadron on ASW in the reaction phase, but then we strike again!

San Juan seems by herself...she better be careful if she wastes all her ammo, we might bag her too!

Attachments
1k8.jpg
1k8.jpg (247.67 KiB) Viewed 68 times
SqzMyLemon

Post by SqzMyLemon »

1st Week of Dec, 1942

From Jocke's message he implies that the Wasp is sunk.

He is pretty irate about how overpowered Iboats are...methinks he gets only one side of the story.

Sometimes it just comes down to luck or your opponent's good play. In my BabesLite game against Jocke my submarines didn't do anything. Often DC'd before a torpedo attack was ever initiated. So frankly, he needs to suck it up. As he often liked to say to me, shit happens, deal with it.
Luck is the residue of design - John Milton

Don't mistake lack of talent for genius - Peter Steele (Type O Negative)
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

I can't believe he puts up no resistance here...

Attachments
1k8.jpg
1k8.jpg (229.3 KiB) Viewed 68 times
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

Definitive proof![:)]

Attachments
1k8.jpg
1k8.jpg (91.95 KiB) Viewed 68 times
SqzMyLemon

Post by SqzMyLemon »

ORIGINAL: SqzMyLemon

Well played! Nemo would be proud. You set this up and Jocke acted exactly as you wanted. He's going to be so pissed. [:D]

Lets' not get carried away here...but Jocke is certainly upset.[;)] He thinks Japanese Iboats are incredibly overpowered.

I don't think he has any idea how much thought and planning went into that strike.

I don't think I'm getting carried away. You don't give yourself enough credit. You fully explained your reasoning and what you planned for. You set the conditions and your opponent reacted as you had hoped. That's damn good playing in my book.
Luck is the residue of design - John Milton

Don't mistake lack of talent for genius - Peter Steele (Type O Negative)
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

Mission accomplished....one Iboat is hurt by SBDs' flying from Brisbane, the others are low on fuel or torps so they will all retire.

Mission accomplished.[:)]

This is one of the very rare game moments where the plan worked, if it did take longer than I expected. I just didn't give up on the plan...

Attachments
1k8.jpg
1k8.jpg (161.64 KiB) Viewed 68 times
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

My goodness, did I sink the Enterprise?

My somewhat informed guess would be no, I got the Wasp.
Attachments
1k8.jpg
1k8.jpg (149.14 KiB) Viewed 68 times
Olorin

Post by Olorin »

Jocke thinks anything Japanese is overpowered. Complaining about the cruel fate is his main characteristic as a player.
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

Nah, that's too harsh. I've been following Jocke's AAR. Of course he's disppointed when bad things happen. But he strikes me as a relatively even-tempered player who is easy to get along with. He doesn't strike me as one who wears his emotions on his sleeve and complains bitterly about every little thing.

It sure is fun to read duel AARs. They really aren't very common. So thanks to Lowpe and Jocke for keeping us entertained. I know every reader can't wait to see how Lowpe's Big Adventure turns out. :)
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

I miss not reading Jocke's AAR.

He is a very good opponent...so many positive characteristics. I have been blessed with very good opponents.[:)]

Anyhow, I think I will ship the replay and combat report off to Jocke while I work on the turn. I simply can't flip the turns quickly anymore as we move on to the next operation:

Olorin's & Lowpe's most excellent adventure![:D]

Olorin

Post by Olorin »

It's inevitable that some portion of Jocke's frustration will channel through his emails with Lowpe. I know that because I've played him and it's usually done in a manner that indirectly (and I'm sure unintentionally) belittles his opponent's effort.

My comment was more an attempt to encourage Lowpe to use his opponent's frustrations as a sign that he is doing well and is in charge of the game at the moment.

Japan is in excellent shape as she sets out to her grand adventure. My only question is: why leave a sizeable force at Chittagong and not use it to add further strength to the invasion? What was your thinking?
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

India games!

Moonlight 14%
Attachments
1k8.jpg
1k8.jpg (399.83 KiB) Viewed 68 times

Return to “After Action Reports”