Interior US/CA BF

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Lawless1

Interior US/CA BF

Post by Lawless1 »

Is there any advantage to building up interior bases in US or Canada? Does it increase VP if they are built up. Or is the need so great to have additional AF built up to handle the large number of a/c produced after 1943.

My thought is to move them west to build up there and possible to free up restricted BF that can be bought out. Moving back east after building up WC.

Thanks in advance
Two types of ships, targets and submarines
Death from below
JeffroK

RE: Interior US/CA BF

Post by JeffroK »

VP are based on base size so it helps.
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum
GetAssista

Post by GetAssista »

West Coast bases usually give 1 VP per improvement, 2 if no port.
Build them if you want to organize your training aircraft in neat geographic patterns
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: Lawless1

Is there any advantage to building up interior bases in US or Canada? Does it increase VP if they are built up. Or is the need so great to have additional AF built up to handle the large number of a/c produced after 1943.

My thought is to move them west to build up there and possible to free up restricted BF that can be bought out. Moving back east after building up WC.

Thanks in advance

You need to build WC early, yes, especially forts. But you have so many white-restricted LCUs with engineers, even IDs, that there's no excuse over time in not reaping the VPs in all of North America.

Base infrastructure builds fast when low, and slow when near max. So a base like Las Vegas can be used to generate 7 AF VPs pretty quickly. Then use RR s to move the builders on to another primitive plot. In 1942 you need to scrounge every VP you can, and white restricted are standing around eating groceries. Get them working.
The Moose
rustysi

Post by rustysi »

and white restricted are standing around eating groceries. Get them working.

[:D] Nicely said Moose!
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: rustysi
and white restricted are standing around eating groceries. Get them working.

[:D] Nicely said Moose!

It's a saying I learned from my father, an ex-CPO. [:'(]
The Moose
Lawless1

Post by Lawless1 »

Thanks everyone, I just have to tell all those units, "Nobody said to stop working"

Moose thanks about the tip to build the bases to help with VP
Death from below
Revthought

Post by Revthought »

[8|] This is one of the "features" of the game mechanics I find quite ridiculous. I know, the US and North America have infinite supply, but nothing says realistic like building bases you do not need and will not be used to ridiculous sizes for no reason during a time period of a war economy and rationing of resources.
Playing at war is a far better vocation than making people fight in them.
AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

ORIGINAL: Revthought

[8|] This is one of the "features" of the game mechanics I find quite ridiculous. I know, the US and North America have infinite supply, but nothing says realistic like building bases you do not need and will not be used to ridiculous sizes for no reason during a time period of a war economy and rationing of resources.
Just about every single small air field in the US was converted to pilot training. Very few areas of the US didn't have a military airfield within 50 miles. Every single available flying instructor (regardless of age or sex) was hired , every available civilian aircraft was borrowed , rented or seized for pilot training. Here's how it worked...before a pilot candidate was sent to flight school, he was evaluated and partially trained at his local field. If he was deemed "trainable" he then went to a regular training squadron. This significantly reduced wasted training time. The USA wasn't just training North American pilots , but ALL of our allies. And you need LOTS of airfields other than the ones at which planes were stationed for "cross country" training. This also gave a great "surge" capability. If say, the Japanese ever threatened any part of the west coast , every available plane and pilot would be rushed to that area jam packing every single Podunk county air port and grass strip. We would never say "The USA has too many factories". Well every single air field was viewed as a "Pilot factory". They weren't all needed , but in early 1942 who knew that? [:)]
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

Just as an example of what AW1Steve is refering to, in the state of Georgia there were three Contract Pilot Schools and 18 Army Air Fields. That number does not include Navy airfields, of which I think there were several.

And there are circumstances in which the airfields in the interior of western North America might play a role in the game. The Moose covers the VP nurturing which can be important to ward off auto victory and to enhance the Allies' chances of auto victory later. Also, there are potential practical uses if Japan goes bezerk and invades Canada and/or CONUS. That doesn't happen often, and it usually doesn't end well for Japan, but there are some smart players that have put forward strategies in which it might work.

In my game against Panzerjaager Hortlund, he invaded the Canadian Islands, embarked on a strat bombing campaign against American industry, and was showing the possiblity of a fullscale attack. As a result, I had to find enough units with combat strength to garrison places like Wendover Field and Great Falls, etc. It was a pretty hair-raising experience. His attack fizzled, but it was frightening enough to show possibilities. In the hands of an experienced player who planned a clever North American campaign from day one, the possibilities are indeed interesting.
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
nashvillen

Post by nashvillen »

Don't forget those infantry WC only divisions and regiments have their own engineers. They build well also.
jmalter

Post by jmalter »

An early build-up of CONUS bases can protect against an IJ 'auto-victory', & you're gonna need those airbases & ports to train airgroups & ship supply & fuel. Build Santa Catalina to host ASW airgroups, protect your tankers and xAPs loading at San Diego & Los Angeles.
Lawless1

Post by Lawless1 »

Thanks everyone for your advice and comments
Death from below

Return to “The War Room”