Isolated Units No Longer 1 CV Ants Immediately?

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21, elmo3

rainman2015

Isolated Units No Longer 1 CV Ants Immediately?

Post by rainman2015 »

Does this new errata in 1.08.05 (as shown here below) mean that isolated units will no longer turn into 1 CV ants after one turn of being isolated, making them now much harder to take out in a pocket?

---------------

V1.08.05

In case of defending isolated or airhead supplied units, CV will drop only due to ammo shortages. Attacking isolated or airhead supplied units will still suffer from supply (non-motorized) or fuel (motorized) shortages

Thanks
Randy
:)
rmonical

RE: Isolated Units No Longer 1 CV Ants Immediately?

Post by rmonical »

Yes.
rainman2015

Post by rainman2015 »

Wow, that's a big change! A good one too i think though, although one that is a gulp for the Germans in 41.
morvael

Post by morvael »

They are now 1.05 CV ants :) It depends mostly on morale, below 55 or something like that, there is a chance for additional /10 CV reduction (unit collapse) - this is main reason of Soviets being so easily mopped up in the early stages of war (1941-1942). I fought a successful campaign with isolated SS boys on the shores of Azov, when mud prevented supply delivery and they were supplied from air (to airhead supply status) for a few weeks (and even attacked during this time). It was isolated Soviets vs isolated SS and they won :)
rainman2015

Post by rainman2015 »

ORIGINAL: morvael

They are now 1.05 CV ants :) It depends mostly on morale, below 55 or something like that, there is a chance for additional /10 CV reduction (unit collapse) - this is main reason of Soviets being so easily mopped up in the early stages of war (1941-1942). I fought a successful campaign with isolated SS boys on the shores of Azov, when mud prevented supply delivery and they were supplied from air (to airhead supply status) for a few weeks (and even attacked during this time). It was isolated Soviets vs isolated SS and they won :)

Thanks Morvael. As i recall, the /10 only kicks in (possibly) if the isolated unit is completely surrounded on all sides, which is not often the case in big pockets. So, only ammo shortages really kick in with being isolated (and supply issues with attacking). However, if only ammo shortages apply (per the new errata) doesn't that mean that the morale of 55 or less doesn't matter per being isolated anymore?

Thanks
Randy
:)
morvael

Post by morvael »

You're right about /10, but I think there is another morale-based reduction possible that is disabled only for units in high level forts or good defensive terrain (would have to check specific details).
rainman2015

Post by rainman2015 »

ORIGINAL: morvael

You're right about /10, but I think there is another morale-based reduction possible that is disabled only for units in high level forts or good defensive terrain (would have to check specific details).

Here are the full rules on it i think, along with the errata. I think there is another rule somewhere about isolated units being completely surrounded and being divided by 10 somehow if they fail a check.

(15.12.1) Isolated Units Combat Value Penalties

Isolated units suffer a supply related CV penalty that is equal to the percentage of needed supplies (or fuel for motorized units) times the percentage of needed ammo.
In addition, when calculating the modified CV ratio to determine whether a defender will be required to retreat, isolated defending units may have their CV divided by ten if they fail certain checks based on their morale, and the distance to the nearest supplied friendly units.

However, when defending units are in a hex with a defensive fortification modifier of five or greater (terrain plus fort level), then the above CV penalty does not apply. Instead, they undergo a check based on the defensive fortification modifier and their morale that may result in their CV being halved (CV halved if (random(25))/fort level
is greater than random (unit morale)).

(v1.03 Beta 3)

Isolated units will fire only ¼ as much as they would if they were not isolated in order to save ammunition.

(v1.08.05)

1) It will be now possible for isolated units to attain airhead supply status, when enough supplies will be dropped to them, even without using standard airhead supply procedure via an air base.

2) CV of airhead supplied units or defending isolated units will not drop below 50% of original value due to resource shortages (was 33% and 25%).

3) In case of defending isolated or airhead supplied units, CV will drop only due to ammo shortages. Attacking isolated or airhead supplied units will still suffer from supply (non-motorized) or fuel (motorized) shortages.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”