Concerning Soviet Admin Points

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21

RKhan

Concerning Soviet Admin Points

Post by RKhan »

I'm still puzzled by the scheme for Soviet admin points, so here is my musing on the topic.

Let's consider the situation where I want to move an army of 10 divisions from one front to another.

I can move each division to STAVKA and then to the new front for 10 AP.

I can move the commander for about 18 AP.

Or, I can move the whole thing for 48 AP.

Setting aside that it cost almost twice as much to move 1 commander as it does 100,000 troops, it still seems that this is not working as designed.

What have I missed?

It feels like moving commanders, which is a political consideration, ought to be divorced from the admin cost in order to rationalise the scheme.

RKhan
morvael

RE: Concerning Soviet Admin Points

Post by morvael »

Yes, moving commanders is a political action. Moving units is more of a logistics one. But there is only one currency representing limited amount of mainly organisational/logistics/supply actions that can be taken each week, so that is what is used.

When you move an army you also usually move dozen of support units with it, moving them one by one would also increase the cost. If you add moving separately: all combat units, all support units and leader the cost would be closer to moving entire army in one action. That said cost of moving HQs was reduced in next version, so they will be closer to each other. Of course you move armies only rarely, especially that most are identical (exception being Shock, Guards and Tank Armies). In the German case I see this useful only to reduce load on AGC/AGS by moving one army to usually lightly used AGN. For Soviets you would want to do it only if you want to create one front full of best armies (but most players keep them under separate fronts, to give each some more punch).
RKhan

RE: Concerning Soviet Admin Points

Post by RKhan »

Thank you Morvael.

The cost of the support units would bring the total close to 48 so I did miss that. I still figure it is 8-10 points cheaper to go about it the long way.

I only move armies in late 41 as I try to balance the Fronts and I have a wide disparity of quality in my units. My divisions being swapped out to brigades doesn't help either (where did that elite mechanised army go?!).
RKhan

Return to “The War Room”