The Elephant Vanishes : obvert (J) vs Historiker_SqzMyLemon_Canoerebel (A)

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Lowpe

RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs SqzMyLemon (A)

Post by Lowpe »

Tracker not working is a function of the upgrade.

You either take the fresh start, or I think there is a file that needs moving.
obvert

Post by obvert »

ORIGINAL: Gräfin Zeppelin

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

Isn't 440 point of Armaments a little lowish?

252 Armor seems a little high.

Good catch, he should have 620 or so in armament.

The last time I made it this far I made the mistake of turning them off in 44 with only around 100k in the pool, IIRC. But, the problem there was supply to fill out units once I did get into 45. I still had pools enough. So I think rather than expending more supply to increase armaments I'll keep it running and building up.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

ORIGINAL: obvert

The last time I made it this far I made the mistake of turning them off in 44 with only around 100k in the pool, IIRC. But, the problem there was supply to fill out units once I did get into 45. I still had pools enough. So I think rather than expending more supply to increase armaments I'll keep it running and building up.

Try not to lose 20 divisions.[;)]

Looking at my charts, and guessing at yours...you can be ok I think -- at least till the Russians.[:D]
Grfin Zeppelin

Post by Grfin Zeppelin »

Ah with "should" I meant thats the number you start with.

obvert

Post by obvert »

Try not to lose 20 divisions.[;)]

Looking at my charts, and guessing at yours...you can be ok I think -- at least till the Russians.[:D]

I had hubris, didn't know about reserve mode movement and still only missed saving all of those by ONE turn!! It was silly, yes.

Here is some stuff from my Jocke game. Just reread a nice portion dealing with late game results of excessive supply expenditure. So good to look at now.

This shows that I had the points even into April 45, but just didn't have the supply. My Armaments were only at 465 that game and I had turned them off as I mentioned.

Attachments
arm.jpg
arm.jpg (180.94 KiB) Viewed 53 times
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill
obvert

Post by obvert »

Here is the rest of the necessary info for that post.

Attachments
econ45.jpg
econ45.jpg (186.56 KiB) Viewed 53 times
obvert

Post by obvert »

Ah with "should" I meant thats the number you start with.

I see!

Well, mine are only able to produce 420 right now. Don't think I converted many (if any) to vehicle. Certainly not 200.

Attachments
vehicles.jpg
vehicles.jpg (220.55 KiB) Viewed 53 times
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

You did something with the armament factories.
BillBrown

Post by BillBrown »

Since Armament factories are -180 from start and Vehicle factories are +180 from start, I guess you did change some.
obvert

Post by obvert »

ORIGINAL: BillBrown

Since Armament factories are -180 from start and Vehicle factories are +180 from start, I guess you did change some.

That sounds pretty logical! [:D]

Are vehicles only 72 at start? Wow. It's been around 3 years since I thought about all of that. So weird in this game to try to remember what you did in the start of a long PBEM.

Anyway, it seems like they're making enough. In the next year I could make 160,600 if I leave them on. That seems like a pretty good (possibly excessive) cushion.
PaxMondo

Post by PaxMondo »

Your VEH production is ok, maybe a bit higher than many would choose, but still within norms.

The issue is that your ARM production may NOT be enough. You'll need to monitor that closely. Make small increases sooner rather than waiting too long and have to make a big purchase is the guidance I can give.
Pax
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

I concur. Bump up your ARM a bit. Not a lot, but a bit. Want to show us what the LCU Production->Armaments graph in Tracker looks like?
obvert

Post by obvert »

ORIGINAL: PaxMondo

Your VEH production is ok, maybe a bit higher than many would choose, but still within norms.

The issue is that your ARM production may NOT be enough. You'll need to monitor that closely. Make small increases sooner rather than waiting too long and have to make a big purchase is the guidance I can give.

Judging by tracker I shouldn't really have to increase. We're taking about late 45 needs here and I'm wary of building more, as if I actually make it that far I'll also likely maintain an ability to produce armaments for longer as well, rather than having to produce them all early.
ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

I concur. Bump up your ARM a bit. Not a lot, but a bit. Want to show us what the LCU Production->Armaments graph in Tracker looks like?

Here is the tracker page. Am I wrong in how I read this, that I've got a pool to surpass reinforcements already?

I know many late divisions show up partially filled out, but since there is already a cushion over reinforcements and I've got well over a year to keep producing at full capacity, it seems like this would be covered. Can't say from experience because I didn't have enough last time of either ARM points or supply to see what it would take.

Attachments
armpoints..rcements.jpg
armpoints..rcements.jpg (623.25 KiB) Viewed 53 times
mind_messing

Post by mind_messing »

Glad to see I'm not the only one that's committed to the Peggy T. I'm convinced the initial investment is well worth it, seeing as the IJA bombers tend to become impractical to use in the face of Allied flak. Giving the IJA an effective way to sink big ships is well worth the time sink in training NavT pilots, and with some careful planning you don't even need to bother with NavB training for Peggy T pilots.
obvert

Post by obvert »

[font="Times New Roman"]3 November, 1943[/font]
[font="Microsoft Sans Serif"]SUBS: [/font] Most subs heading back to bases to replenish and for any repairs needed. I'll send a few out for recon in Cent Pac, in the IO and along the OZ coasts.

[font="Microsoft Sans Serif"]BURMA: [/font] The Allies get moving by sweeping Mandalay and bombing the piece of a para unit there. It's doomed, and that's okay, I'll just wait for him to conquer it again and then bombs away on the fields. He has a lot of troops nearby, so that won't last forever, but could stall a bit longer.

[font="Microsoft Sans Serif"]CENT PAC: [/font] Netties bombed at Marcus and wreacked havoc on the US forces there. The combo of overstacking, disablements and disruption led to hugs losses; 82 squads destroyed and 116 newly disabled. I'll keep this rolling! [8D]

[font="Microsoft Sans Serif"]SW PAC: [/font] Some xAK unloading at Rekata Bay are hit by our Kates flying at 5k with bombs. Accuracy was not what I'd hoped, but I kept them high not knowing what was here. Two hit and fuel cargo burning could still leave two xAK in trouble. I'll send in some search to see where they go. If they stay put another surprise will arrive in the night.

[font="Microsoft Sans Serif"]CHINA: [/font] I've decided to go for Paoshan. It is isolated from other Allied areas and cut off from supply for the time being by a small para fragment left from it's drop on Bhamo. It has 12k troops, and I'm sending a tank division first to check things out, with three more IDs walking forward down the slow road. this place is great defensive territory, but of course prone to heavy air strikes. I like the small LI there for local supply production though, and it'll just give him another thing to think about.
[font="Trebuchet MS"]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR November 3, 42
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Morning Air attack on 25th Infantry Division, at 123,85 (Marcus Island)

Weather in hex: Heavy cloud

Raid spotted at 19 NM, estimated altitude 11,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 6 minutes

Japanese aircraft
G3M3 Nell x 26
G4M1 Betty x 18

No Japanese losses

Allied ground losses:
913 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 43 destroyed, 74 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Guns lost 12 (2 destroyed, 10 disabled)
Vehicles lost 15 (7 destroyed, 8 disabled)

Aircraft Attacking:
26 x G3M3 Nell bombing from 6000 feet
Ground Attack: 2 x 250 kg GP Bomb, 4 x 60 kg GP Bomb
18 x G4M1 Betty bombing from 9000 feet

Also attacking 146th USA Base Force /1 ...
Also attacking 25th Infantry Division ...

Morning Air attack on 1st Cavalry (Spec) Cavalry Division, at 123,85 (Marcus Island)

Weather in hex: Heavy cloud

Raid spotted at 17 NM, estimated altitude 14,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 5 minutes

Japanese aircraft
G4M1 Betty x 10

No Japanese losses

Allied ground losses:
399 casualties reported
Squads: 3 destroyed, 5 disabled
Non Combat: 17 destroyed, 18 disabled

Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Vehicles lost 3 (2 destroyed, 1 disabled)

Aircraft Attacking:
10 x G4M1 Betty bombing from 9000 feet

Also attacking 143rd USA Base Force ...
Also attacking 1st Cavalry (Spec) Cavalry Division ...

Afternoon Air attack on TF, near Rekata Bay at 113,134

Weather in hex: Severe storms

Raid spotted at 20 NM, estimated altitude 7,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 8 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M5b Zero x 18
B5N2 Kate x 14

Allied aircraft
F4U-1 Corsair x 4

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M5b Zero: 1 destroyed
B5N2 Kate: 4 damaged

No Allied losses

Allied Ships
xAK Empire Condor, Bomb hits 1, heavy fires
xAK Empire Grenfell, Bomb hits 1, heavy fires
AM Bombay

Allied ground losses:
Vehicles lost 16 (7 destroyed, 9 disabled)

Aircraft Attacking:
14 x B5N2 Kate bombing from 5000 feet
Naval Attack: 2 x 250 kg SAP Bomb

CAP engaged:
VMF-441 with F4U-1 Corsair (4 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
4 plane(s) intercepting now.
Group patrol altitude is 16000 , scrambling fighters between 0 and 16000.
Raid is overhead

Heavy smoke from fires obscuring xAK Empire Condor
[/font]
[font="Trebuchet MS"]Chinese units have made it to Ledo and look to be moving into India to refit and fill out. This is the option I gave Joe picking up the game and I think it's fine. They still cannot be used in Burma for combat, and must move back to China to fight. [/font]
Attachments
chineselcus.jpg
chineselcus.jpg (724.93 KiB) Viewed 53 times
obvert

Post by obvert »

ORIGINAL: mind_messing

Glad to see I'm not the only one that's committed to the Peggy T. I'm convinced the initial investment is well worth it, seeing as the IJA bombers tend to become impractical to use in the face of Allied flak. Giving the IJA an effective way to sink big ships is well worth the time sink in training NavT pilots, and with some careful planning you don't even need to bother with NavB training for Peggy T pilots.

This time around I think I'll be better prepared, and as I think Lowpe suggested, I can train some search first before they come online to have a good selection of half trained pilots. I liked the plane in my previous late game situation, but it didn't fly often. I think this could be down to lower experienced pilots and maybe messy HQ settings. I may play with this in tests to see if things work there. It'll be good to see how yours goes too!
mind_messing

Post by mind_messing »

ORIGINAL: mind_messing

This time around I think I'll be better prepared, and as I think Lowpe suggested, I can train some search first before they come online to have a good selection of half trained pilots. I liked the plane in my previous late game situation, but it didn't fly often. I think this could be down to lower experienced pilots and maybe messy HQ settings. I may play with this in tests to see if things work there. It'll be good to see how yours goes too!

I've been impressed so far, given the less than ideal circumstances of half-baked pilots.

It's great in that it takes a great deal of pressure off the IJN. For that alone I think it's a must-have plane for the IJA. The IJN 2E force is always pressed into several roles, and having an abundance of an IJA airframe that can hit ground or naval targets is a massive boon.

I've some crazy ideas floating around as to the future, but that's for the future.
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

ORIGINAL: PaxMondo

Judging by tracker I shouldn't really have to increase. We're taking about late 45 needs here and I'm wary of building more, as if I actually make it that far I'll also likely maintain an ability to produce armaments for longer as well, rather than having to produce them all early.
ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

Here is the tracker page. Am I wrong in how I read this, that I've got a pool to surpass reinforcements already?

I know many late divisions show up partially filled out, but since there is already a cushion over reinforcements and I've got well over a year to keep producing at full capacity, it seems like this would be covered. Can't say from experience because I didn't have enough last time of either ARM points or supply to see what it would take.

Ok, what exactly does No.Destroyed mean? 6 AFVs???[&:] You need 100 vehicle points to replace the 6 destroyed which makes sense.

Armaments 1494 able to be rebuilt?

Dest pool dev: destroyed pool that needs and is eligible for rebuilding? Perhaps you have destroyed units not purchased back and that is the difference between destroyed and dest pool?
obvert

Post by obvert »

Probably. I just did buy back a small armored car unit from the Marcus invasion.

The columns in the lower part I'm looking at are the Delay A & V points and the Strength %. Some divisions come complete, others need to be filled out, especially the late ones in mid-45. So from the points that I know I'll need here I'd ike to calculate what I would need to fill out the divisions that come half filled and still have a pool for destroyed squads de to combat.
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

In one of my games, you figure out which one, I don't even want to look at that tracker page.[:D]

Return to “After Action Reports”