Help with Penal colony

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

hammer58

Help with Penal colony

Post by hammer58 »

Has anyone ever made a penal colony?
If yes how did you do it?
I have seen the AI build penal colonies for other races.
But the race I am playing has never built a penal colony even with the box checked in the options for it.
I understand that this is an automatic feature of the game and a player can not manually build a penal colony.
But I can not even trigger the game to build one for me. How is this done?
Shark7

RE: Help with Penal colony

Post by Shark7 »

If you check the "use Penal Colonies to enforce enslave policy" check box under empire policies, it will automatically handle it for your, BUT...I have found that the AI generally sets up your second largest colony as the penal colony, then when that is full, it sets your third largest, etc etc.

If you want manual control over where the penal colony is set up here is what you need to do.

1. Set empire overall policy to 'Resettle' for whichever race families you want to send to the penal colony.
2. Go to a planet (if you are already into a game) and under population you will find the options for Population Policy: You have two drop down boxes set them as you want them then click apply this policy to all colonies (IE to resettle).
3. Pick the colony you want as the penal colony (I suggest you have a substantial troop presence there) and set the Population Policies to 'Enslave'. DO NOT click apply this policy to all colonies.
4. Rename the Penal Colony to 'X Penal Colony if you so desire.
5. Sit back and watch as the AI starts moving the undesirables to the penal colony or two your neighbors if you have any that will take them...this will take a long time. They will not move the last 1 million population of the undesirable race though, this is where I generally just set an exterminate policy on a colony by colony basis.

That is exactly how I handle it and it works well.

I've never tested it, so I don't know if with the policy set to resettle if the AI will build colony ships from planets with a majority undesirable population, so keep an eye on it.

Also bear in mind that by not assimilating the other races, you hamper your own empire growth and bonuses, but that is up to you.
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
hammer58

RE: Help with Penal colony

Post by hammer58 »

Thank you Shark7. I am playing as the Boskara race. I do have the box checked under empire policies to use penal colonies to enforce slavery. But when I created this game that box was not checked. I checked it after about year 2115 when I researched why I was not getting a penal colony. I am now at year 2122 and I captured 3 other races home worlds since the year 2115 and none have converted to a penal colony.
Perhaps this is because the game was not created with that box checked. It may be a feature that can not be changed after the game is initialized.

But I am doing the handling of my penal colonies the manual way as you suggested. I have been doing that since the year 2115 in my game waiting for a real penal colony to get made auto by the game.
And it appears that the game just is not going to auto create a penal colony for me. The game has made a few penal colonies for other races in the game. I wonder, if I capture one of those will it stay a penal colony for my use?

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”