Going Nuclear!

The new Cold War turned hot wargame from On Target Simulations, now expanded with the Player's Edition! Choose the NATO or Soviet forces in one of many scenarios or two linked campaigns. No effort was spared to model modern warfare realistically, including armor, infantry, helicopters, air support, artillery, electronic warfare, chemical and nuclear weapons. An innovative new asynchronous turn order means that OODA loops and various effects on C3 are accurately modeled as never before.

Moderators: IronMikeGolf, Mad Russian, WildCatNL, cbelva, IronManBeta, CapnDarwin

HobbesACW

Going Nuclear!

Post by HobbesACW »

Can anyone resist when the option is made available? (I had already won the scenario :))

Attachments
Capture.jpg
Capture.jpg (51.59 KiB) Viewed 81 times
CapnDarwin

RE: Going Nuclear!

Post by CapnDarwin »

Such a cool animation. [:D]
OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC
Zakalwe101

Post by Zakalwe101 »

Hobbes

much like yourself, the option was here so I took it, when the missiles first became available I saved the game and carried on playing , achieved a Tactical success, went back a used the nuclear option. Which was costly -5000 vp's and actually achieved very little, targets were fleeting and honestly this late into the game not densely packed - which kind of points to the dilemma I guess NATO would have had, what to strike, when and judging the cost/benefit - I certainly would not have wished to have the decision - in any case would it be a political decision or a military decision or both and could the decision be made quickly enough ?
Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

First it would be a political decision. At the highest levels of all NATO countries involved. Then it would have been a military option to pick the best target in the most opportune moment.

Getting those 2 options to match up would have been formidable.

Good Hunting.

MR
The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.
Stimpak

Post by Stimpak »

And then once one flies - they all fly. Other side responds with their own, the panic sets in, everyone gets excited, then the nuclear planners start barking orders, faxes start racing, missiles warm up, bombers take off, cities start getting erased, communications go silent, electricity is gone, chain of command vanishes, and the war is over in a few hours...

Well, unless the survivors want to fight for the ashes.
Phoenix100

Post by Phoenix100 »

I would think the politicians and the military planners would likely be still alive somewhere, squirreled safely away in bunkers, to come out in due course and fight for the ashes.
fluidwill

Post by fluidwill »

Not allowed to post links but search Youtube for - Yom Kippur War & The Development of U.S. Military Doctrine - John Suprin

Right at the end of this in the Q&A he tells an anecdote about meeting a Ukrainian officer and talking about nuclear release doctrine and apparently the guy says they'd (Soviets)have had to have specific instructions NOT to go nuclear, if they were coming it was behind a wave of nukes, my fave line "500 nukes just for Denmark" which kind of made me blink a bit.
Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

Makes sense.

You have to watch those Danes!!

Good Hunting.

MR
The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.
Zakalwe101

Post by Zakalwe101 »

Just as an aside, as a young Police Officer back in 1987, I would on occasion have to staff the "front office". Behind me on the wall was set of telephones linked to the United Kingdom Warning and Monitoring system, I knew they were part of the civil defence network but no one told me that every few months in the early hours they tested the network, you can no doubt imagine my surprise when one night at 0400 the phone rang. Where I worked was a few miles from RAF Manston with one of the UK's longest runways, images of flying SS20's sprang to mind !

Return to “Flashpoint Campaigns Classic”