Auto sub ops

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

jcjordan

Auto sub ops

Post by jcjordan »

I seem to remember you could do this but I may be wrong w/ Old Timers Disease but can you set a specific base to do auto sub ops using some hot key? I'm trying to do some auto sub ops rather than the tedious way of me chosing a tf the allowing the computer to patrol around a waypoint. When I turned on auto sub ops from the preferences panel, the ai just chose the few S boats I had left & sent them on defensive patrols in local homewaters rather than using the long range fleet/Gatos in enemy waters.
BillBrown

RE: Auto sub ops

Post by BillBrown »

Auto sub ops means the computer will move your subs to where it thinks is important, you have no control.
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

You can set the patrol zone you want while the TF is in "Human Control" and then switch the TF to "Computer Control" in the TF unit screen. I am not sure (because I NEVER use computer control for naval vessels) but I think the AI will keep your manually set PZ, at least initially.

Not sure why you would want to use computer control. Managing sub ops is one of the easier things to do in the game.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
btd64

Post by btd64 »

Bottom line, set sub patrols manually. Unless you want subs patrolling in quantity off the war ravaged New Zealand coast....GP
Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester
New Game Development Team

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

Don't let the AI do anything. The AI only has an algorithm and not your best interests in mind. In fact, the AI doesn't actually have a mind, and does the stupidest stuff. The AI doesn't even have the intelligence to say "This course is foolish, nay, it is counterproductive. Shall we do it anyway, since the human will not be expecting it? Well, the human may be smarter than we expect ourselves, therefor he will not fall for the subterfuge that makes the most sense. He will fall for the subterfuge that makes no sense whatsoever. So, therefor, we must do the thing that is least expected as it makes no sense at all, and the rational opponent will be utterly unprepared for our stratagem.

BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

Makes sense to me Sir Gornish - so I will never do it... whatever you said.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
jcjordan

Post by jcjordan »

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

Don't let the AI do anything. The AI only has an algorithm and not your best interests in mind. In fact, the AI doesn't actually have a mind, and does the stupidest stuff. The AI doesn't even have the intelligence to say "This course is foolish, nay, it is counterproductive. Shall we do it anyway, since the human will not be expecting it? Well, the human may be smarter than we expect ourselves, therefor he will not fall for the subterfuge that makes the most sense. He will fall for the subterfuge that makes no sense whatsoever. So, therefor, we must do the thing that is least expected as it makes no sense at all, and the rational opponent will be utterly unprepared for our stratagem.

Thanks & yes I know the AI has an IQ lesser than a dead vegetable. I was hoping to take some of the tedium of having to create 20+ sub tf on a regular basis. It does ok when you select it to patrol around a point - not perfect but ok.
Pilsator

Post by Pilsator »

Auto Sub AI..

I used it once and the AI parked a sub in a port close to the enemy. And me had set it to Upgrade, so the Sub did upgrade, AI captured the base and the sub scuttled it self to prevent capture....

That stopped me using Auto Sub Ops, also I am not any better using the Subs as the Auto Sub routine is.
Leandros

Post by Leandros »

I have come to the habit not to make patrol areas but simply to have them stay in one, if important, hex. I don't
see why they should find more targets by hopping around within a restricted area rather than stay in a specific
hex.

If you do it this way it can get somewhat simpler - by using the "remain on station" button and, when the boat has
returned to its base for refuelling (which it does automatically), you just mark its next operational hex (keeping
the "remain on station ") and it stays there till it needs to go back for refuelling again.

Fred
River Wide, Ocean Deep - a book on Operation Sea Lion - www.fredleander.com
Saving MacArthur - a book series on how The Philippines were saved - in 1942! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D3 ... rw_dp_labf
wdolson

Post by wdolson »

If the boat remains in one hex for an extended period of time ASW will have an easier time finding the sub.
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

Auto Sub Ops.......just say no!
Hans

btd64

Post by btd64 »

ORIGINAL: jcjordan

Thanks & yes I know the AI has an IQ lesser than a dead vegetable. I was hoping to take some of the tedium of having to create 20+ sub tf on a regular basis. It does ok when you select it to patrol around a point - not perfect but ok.

Setup 12 every other turn. That will spread them out in terms of leaving the patrol zone to replenish instead of having them all head for the barn at once....GP

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester

btd64

Post by btd64 »

ORIGINAL: Pilsator

Auto Sub AI..

I used it once and the AI parked a sub in a port close to the enemy. And me had set it to Upgrade, so the Sub did upgrade, AI captured the base and the sub scuttled it self to prevent capture....

That stopped me using Auto Sub Ops, also I am not any better using the Subs as the Auto Sub routine is.

In all likelihood the scuttled sub was badly damaged. Setting up sub patrols works pretty well....GP

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester

btd64

Post by btd64 »

ORIGINAL: wdolson

If the boat remains in one hex for an extended period of time ASW will have an easier time finding the sub.

PLUS ONE. Bill, you're up pretty late.[>:]....GP

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester

Pilsator

Post by Pilsator »

ORIGINAL: General Patton

ORIGINAL: Pilsator

Auto Sub AI..

In all likelihood the scuttled sub was badly damaged. Setting up sub patrols works pretty well....GP

It was upgrading as I turned upgrade on... No way to get it active until fully repaired
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

ORIGINAL: jcjordan

Well, at least a dead vegetable has a higher IQ than a gorn, sigh. Don't try to make it easier by creating TFs of 2 or more subs, that doesn't work well. I usually give subs a patrol zone consisting of a triangle with loiter times of one day. I have a little black book of everywhere I've spotted Allied TFs (usually using subs with float planes to spot) and the three points of the triangle are all in the routes described by these sightings. That way you can lay off away from enemy bases, avoiding interdiction and getting your float planes shot down. I use sightings from various past opponents rather than waiting for the current opponent to show patterns. It works pretty well. So go out and purchase a little black book.

geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

ORIGINAL: General Patton

PLUS ONE. Bill, you're up pretty late.[>:]....GP

Didn't you know? Moderators never sleep.

Leandros

Post by Leandros »

Hasn't bothered me so far. Works the other way around, too...or...[:)]..

Fred
River Wide, Ocean Deep - a book on Operation Sea Lion - www.fredleander.com
Saving MacArthur - a book series on how The Philippines were saved - in 1942! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D3 ... rw_dp_labf
Von Weber

Post by Von Weber »

What is the best subTF attack speed mission or cruise? If a TF has a cruise speed it has more chances to be attacked.
Has patrol/retriement option any impact on subs TF conducting attack? In wich case the Sub's Tf has more chances to conduct an attack?
WPO/Field of Glory-2/TOAW
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

Put a good commander in the sub, spend the political point, it's worth it. Then forget about it, the commander will take care of those details.

That said, the default for all TF types is "mission speed", use it.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”