The World in Flames Map Pack

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

AKAGI7137

The World in Flames Map Pack

Post by AKAGI7137 »

This is very much an open ended question at the moment.

I am looking at the physical copy of this game from ADG having already bought the Matrix PC version.

I have two questions if I may:

1. Is the Matrix map pack - in consistent scale - actually compatable with the physical game. I know its massive but does it actually work with ADG's version?.

and

2. Having already bought the PC version is there any way to actually to go back and get a 25% discount on the map pack??
AlbertN

RE: The World in Flames Map Pack

Post by AlbertN »

Not being an official, the Matrix Map Pack should be the replica in single scale of hex (and not the duality of European / Asian map) of M-WiF; on the other hand I would advice against buying the map pack IF your purpose is to play with them. They'd simply be so large that I suspect you'll have troubles actually enjoying the game and turn the gaming sessions into stretching sessions and struggling to not hit the table causing all counters to shuffle around, meanwhile you try to reach that counter in the middle of the gargantuan table required.
Twisted1

Post by Twisted1 »

Sinner! (Just kidding!)

Funny you should bring this up. A few minutes after this post started, I saw this posted on Facebook.

ORIGINAL: Cohen

Not being an official, the Matrix Map Pack should be the replica in single scale of hex (and not the duality of European / Asian map) of M-WiF; on the other hand I would advice against buying the map pack IF your purpose is to play with them. They'd simply be so large that I suspect you'll have troubles actually enjoying the game and turn the gaming sessions into stretching sessions and struggling to not hit the table causing all counters to shuffle around, meanwhile you try to reach that counter in the middle of the gargantuan table required.

Attachments
FB_IMG_1461624616552.jpg
FB_IMG_1461624616552.jpg (33.59 KiB) Viewed 368 times
On the plains of hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who at the dawn of victory lay down to rest, and in resting died.
Adlai E. Stevenson
Twisted1

Post by Twisted1 »

And this! As to your question, yes it is BUT the China situation is much different. More realistic in my opinion.

Attachments
FB_IMG_1461624591418.jpg
FB_IMG_1461624591418.jpg (31.03 KiB) Viewed 365 times
On the plains of hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who at the dawn of victory lay down to rest, and in resting died.
Adlai E. Stevenson
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

ORIGINAL: AKAGI1708

1. Is the Matrix map pack - in consistent scale - actually compatable with the physical game. I know its massive but does it actually work with ADG's version?.
Definitely. There are some kits from ADG that are not included in MWiF but there's no reason why you could not - in theory - play with the ADG counters and rules and use the MWiF map pack. There's one optional rule in ADG WiF you would not need - Asian ZoCs.

But as Cohen mentions you would have challenges with the sheer size of the physical space you would need. I once calculated it to be 9 x 24 feet. Mind you, if you used the America mini-map from WiF and cut off the very remote northern and southern areas, and made your own sea area displays between the New and Old Worlds you could likely get it down to 8 by 14 feet and a couple side TV tables.
Paul
Jagdtiger14

Post by Jagdtiger14 »

At both the WiFcon's in Michigan I was at...one of the players at the con brought his enlarged WiF map (and enlarged counters) and set this up against the wall...he had magnets behind the counters (his "table" played on that map).

I have a garage with 10' high ceilings and 25' long walls...so with a short step ladder and magnetic counters...
Conflict with the unexpected: two qualities are indispensable; first, an intellect which, even in the midst of this obscurity, is not without some traces of inner light which lead to the truth; second, the courage to follow this faint light. KvC
Shannon V. OKeets

Post by Shannon V. OKeets »

ORIGINAL: Twisted1

And this! As to your question, yes it is BUT the China situation is much different. More realistic in my opinion.

Your picture made my day. Thanks![&o]
Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.
Gendarme

Post by Gendarme »

Awesome use of the maps!
Orm

Post by Orm »

Thank you for the awesome picture. [&o] [:)]

Now one just need to hire some assistants to move the counters that you order around. [:)]
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
michaelbaldur

Post by michaelbaldur »

ORIGINAL: Orm

Thank you for the awesome picture. [&o] [:)]

Now one just need to hire some assistants to move the counters that you order around. [:)]

or a programmable robot arm
the wif rulebook is my bible

I work hard, not smart.

beta tester and Mwif expert

if you have questions or issues with the game, just contact me on Michaelbaldur1@gmail.com
AKAGI7137

Post by AKAGI7137 »

Thanks for the comments and great photos. As a games collector, despite the practicality, I can still see me buying the maps set.

Can somebody tell me from Matrix is it possible IN THE FUTURE to 'go back' and get the 25% discount if you have already bought MWiF?.

Alternatively (and possibly better since I am looking at the collector's edition of Wif which is not pegged to come out until later in the year) has the Map Pack been included in the 30% Xmas sales?
Neilster

Post by Neilster »

Mine are in a box but I'm glad I have them all the same. Sometimes I get them out and marvel at the immensity.

What happened to the dude who wanted to slice them up and paste them around a globe? It would be incredibly hard to do because you'd have to construct polar regions, account for the Mercator projection and the hexes wouldn't line up. Additionally, I calculated the sphere would be pretty huge. Unlikely [8|]

Cheers, Neilster

Cheers, Neilster
Orm

Post by Orm »

What happened to the dude who wanted to slice them up and paste them around a globe?
I thought he was busy creating a new MWIF globe. Reversing the distortion on the WIF map.
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
Neilster

Post by Neilster »

ORIGINAL: Orm
What happened to the dude who wanted to slice them up and paste them around a globe?
I thought he was busy creating a new MWIF globe. Reversing the distortion on the WIF map.
Yeah but, man, have you seen how globes are made?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RWcWSN4HhI

It would be ridiculously difficult to replicate the process with the MWiF map. Those strips are specially created and you won't just be able to just cut up the MWiF map into those shapes. Then, as I mentioned above, there's the problem of hexes lining up and other problems.

He might as well just create a spherical MWiF map from scratch, which is a major project. Then how are all the pieces going to stick to it? His base sphere would need to be made of steel or some other magnetic material and then do the magnet on each piece trick. From memory I calculated it would have a radius of almost exactly two metres, so he'd have to find or have made a metal sphere of that exact size and then mount it so he can somehow get to every bit of it.

How much time has this guy got? Good luck, champ.

Anyway, I've already done it. Here's a grainy picture from in my basement [:'(]

Cheers, Neilster
Attachments
MWiF globe 2.jpg
MWiF globe 2.jpg (163.75 KiB) Viewed 340 times
Cheers, Neilster
Orm

Post by Orm »

He might as well just create a spherical MWiF map from scratch, which is a major project.
This is what I tried to say. [:)]
ByronBond

Post by ByronBond »

The last couple of years the Map Pack HAS been included in the Christmas Sale, at 30% off if I recall correctly. That's when I purchased them. Probably the most simultaneously awesome and foolish wargame purchase I have ever made. [:)]

No intention of ever actually using them, but for some odd reason I sure like having them; and taking them out every few months to admire.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: NavyGamer

No intention of ever actually using them, but for some odd reason I sure like having them; and taking them out every few months to admire.
warspite1

Precisely. Totally impractical, will never get used, just taking up space. But I simply wouldn't be without mine [:)]
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
Twisted1

Post by Twisted1 »

+1000000000
Adlai E. Stevenson
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

That is my feeling for my copy of the new edition of War in the Pacific. I will never play it, and it cost a lot of money, but I could not not buy a game that had detailed maps for every island in the Pacific. (OK, they missed three. They fixed that in an errata. [:)])
I thought I knew how to play this game....
AbwehrX

Post by AbwehrX »

Wow gorgeous setup. Soon!!

Return to “World in Flames”