Targeting

The new Cold War turned hot wargame from On Target Simulations, now expanded with the Player's Edition! Choose the NATO or Soviet forces in one of many scenarios or two linked campaigns. No effort was spared to model modern warfare realistically, including armor, infantry, helicopters, air support, artillery, electronic warfare, chemical and nuclear weapons. An innovative new asynchronous turn order means that OODA loops and various effects on C3 are accurately modeled as never before.

Moderators: WildCatNL, cbelva, IronManBeta, CapnDarwin, IronMikeGolf, Mad Russian

HobbesACW

Targeting

Post by HobbesACW »

Hi folks, I've read a few posts on the forum about units targeting enemy reconnaissance units when they should be engaging a closer threat.
As far as I remember the answer tends to be that the reconnaissance units are considered to be of high value and the targeting is fine.
Is this really the case? An example here. I still haven't patched but not seen anything about a change in any patches to this behavior?
Is this considered to be OK?

Attachments
Capture.jpg
Capture.jpg (29.57 KiB) Viewed 51 times
cbelva

RE: Targeting

Post by cbelva »

There are some ideology differences on the team as to how some of the rules should be handled. Early on in the development it was decided to make recon and hq units the highest priority. So it was kinda set in stone early on. I wasn't on the team at that time. I am of the belief that that recon and hq units are high priority until tanks come within range and then the tanks should be the priority target. That recon unit in your pix is not a threat at the moment the tanks are. We want to correct this in the new engine by giving the player more control over target priority. Til then - it's ok to yell at tho "stupid" tanks for targeting the recon unit 3 km away and ignoring the tanks at 1 km.
Charles Belva
On Target Simulations LLC
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

My guess is the Brit tanks are firing on all three Soviet targets including the recon during a time cycle of the game. As Charles points out some better SOP and targeting will be on tap for Southern Storm, but there can still be the chance of shooting something else when another target may appear on the map as viable based on LOS fluctuations.
OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC
HobbesACW

Post by HobbesACW »

Sounds good. I'm playing one last scenario after this one and then on to other games until Southern Storm is released.
FC has been one of those games that I enjoyed far more than I expected to - a real gem.

Thanks,
Chris

KungPao

Post by KungPao »

I am Ok with this, your tanks and WP's tanks are on the same evaluation, in real life there should be some bumps on the ground, so both your tanks and WP's tanks can be positioned in a hull down position to each other, not be able to get a clear shot. But your tank commander can get the image of the scout car on his thermal scope, so your TC decided to engage the BRDM first.[8D]
Sir? Do you want to order a Kung Pao Chicken or a Kung Fu Chicken?
IronMikeGolf

Post by IronMikeGolf »

All that behavior is going to get modified and also give the player a measure of input to the behavior. Players won't be able to "designate targets" for their units. You will be able to construct engagement areas and lay ambushes. That stuff will get overridden by the unit AI for self preservation, though. As an aside, M1 tank crews train to engage simultaneous targets. By that I mean the gunner shoot one target with either main gun or coaxial machine gun and the commander another target with the cupola .50 cal MG. I want to try and work that in, too.

There is an engagement on crew qualification for this: tank and BRDM presented simultaneously. Tank is a couple km and the BRDM 800 m if I remember correctly.

Range is rather far for that in the example above.
Jeff
Sua Sponte

Return to “Flashpoint Campaigns Classic”