Out of memory error: W7 64bit - 12gb ram

Post bug reports and ask for support here.

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

Mathieas

Out of memory error: W7 64bit - 12gb ram

Post by Mathieas »

I am running windows 7 64bit, 12gb ram, 2x Titan GTX, 980x CPU.

I am getting an out of memory error. This happens every game i play once i get a save file of a bout 35megs. Here is a list of things i have noticed. I have started quite a few new games with the same issue. I have even reduced the number of stars to 1000 and reduced the number of empires. Same issue occurs it just takes a bit longer. I also have started running the windows resource monitor to check memory usage, the game tends to crash around 1.6GB usage... this makes no sense to me as even if this was only small address aware i should be good no? I do not understand how some people report near 4gb ram usage and I cannot even hit 2GB. It is very strange.

I would also like to note i uploaded my save file to the FTP server name:Mathieas-memoryissue.rar
This game I am using the distant worlds extended mod. The issue does occur on every game i play once the galaxy gets populated enough and usage reaches the above values regardless of mods. I just do not currently have an example of an unmodded save file.

This is very frustrating. I have put over a hundred hours into this game and I can never finish a game. Is this me? or is there a fundamental flaw in distant worlds? Does anyone have a fix?

Thanks you for your time,

Mathieas

PS: Dev if you are listening, I know this was bascily a two person show... but I have bought every expac inc universe in support of your prodect(You all have made an amazing game, it is fantastic). All i ask is that it works :-D.
Bingeling

RE: Out of memory error: W7 64bit - 12gb ram

Post by Bingeling »

In hunt for crashes, I have run a lot of games a pretty default 700 star settings. Apart from finding crashes that are proper game bugs, they have been stable until auto saving takes an eternity and a half.

One thing said to be guilty of very slow saves is respawning pirates (you can disable that in galaxy settings). Maybe try toogle that and see if it helps?
Retreat1970

Post by Retreat1970 »

The Mod Zakblood is pretty good at responding here, but it is the weekend.

He'll want a dxdiag.
Mathieas

Post by Mathieas »

Thanks Retreat,

I will upload my dxdiag to the FTP. It will not let me post it here due to account limitation(no links or phone numbers - which are not present but there must be something of the form ha). File name: Mathieas-DxDiag.txt
VPaulus

Post by VPaulus »

I'm sorry but with out of memory error issues there's little we can do to fix.
Try Bingeling suggestion.

You can also try to disable all background programs in the case these are interfering with the normal running of the game.
You can do this by running msconfig and disabling all non-windows start-up programs and services.
Then once you have disabled all non-Microsoft services, please run the game and see if the issue persists.
If it does not, please then reopen msconfig and reenable those services, one by one, until you find the program causing the problem.
A tutorial on how to do this can be found below:
https://us.battle.net/support/en/articl ... plications

Mathieas

Post by Mathieas »

Hey all,

I did some more testing and I think I have this solved. If you go to the Distant worlds directory in the _CommonRedist folder and go through each folder and reinstall each requirement AND run the (DOT)net repair tool(this you have to download) I seem to have fixed my issue. I just hit 2GB of used - which i have never been able to do before and it still did not crash. I will report back if i have any further issues.
Evander

Post by Evander »

Hello,

I am having similar problems with win7 pro 64x and 16gb rams in the systems.

Reproduction for that issue is quite simple - save game often, reload with all possible menus (like diplomacy and research menu) opened.

Each time after such game load DW ram usage goes up a few dozen mb.
For me game crashes with info "Working Set: 309#445#4272 bytes" and some BinaryNodeWriter gibberish.

Are there any fixes planed for such memory leaks? Because it seems like game keeps objects that were present before loading.

Edit:
Seriously, phone numbers? [8|]
RogerBacon

Post by RogerBacon »

I also seem to have this issue. I was only playing on a 400 star map with 9 AI players. Once the memory usage was 1.2GB and the other time it was only 800 MB. Neither seems excessive. I couldn't find a crash log but here is a screenshot of the stack trace.
http://i67.tinypic.com/1rxd7m.jpg

I'm running Windows 7 64 bit with 16GB of memory.
BTC 14UURmC4rD762RStsufKmaUjfXQrBvahU1
ETH 0x7c65139BC82A0BDC5b11F92001D5c5a112219f08
johanwanderer

Post by johanwanderer »

12G doesn't help Distant Worlds, because I believe it's a 32-bit program. What you can do, however, is search (google) for the "Large Address Aware.exe" utility. Use it to enable "large address" (i.e. 36-bit addressing) in the main executable. That should get you going past those crashes.

Hope that helps,
Long.
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

correct,

Although contemporary 32-bit PCs were theoretically able to address up to 4GB of RAM, most 32bit programs can't.

so why some system can do more than others are down to software and hardware limits, something no programmers has any control over. some versions of windows also work better than others, so running a 32bit app or program in a different version on the same hardware gives different results, so installing windows 7/8 or even 10 on the same hardware and using a 64bit O/S on a older 32bit program can and does give very different results, strange but true...

Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
RogerBacon

Post by RogerBacon »

My out of memory crashes ALWAYS (100%) happen when saving (auto or manual). The game is only using 1GB of memory, which is nothing.
I can play for hours if I disable auto-save but then I have to finish the game in one play through because if I do try to save it will crash. The stack trace is always the same. Picture attached.
http://i65.tinypic.com/2vski2x.jpg
BTC 14UURmC4rD762RStsufKmaUjfXQrBvahU1
ETH 0x7c65139BC82A0BDC5b11F92001D5c5a112219f08
spartaincw

Post by spartaincw »

If anyone is stilling having issues, what johanwanderer said totally works, I was able to get around 650 ships in on one screen which was using around 1,750MB. Before, for me it would crash around 1,200MB-1,400MB. I'm sure I could get more in, but I ran out of money. Because it is a 32 bit game, in theory, it has access to all 4MB, but as with x86, part of that would need to be used for system. It seem there is either a limit hardcoded into the game, or some sorta problem with windows 10 and running 32 bit. Either way, running that program adds a flag that allows use of all 4MB. In theory, of course, I hit 3 fps way before I hit 1,600MB usage so that would be hard to test for me at least.
Shogouki

Post by Shogouki »

Do you know if this would fix my problem of the game consuming more and more RAM each time I save and load games? After a certain point it gives me an error when trying to load. And if so where is a safe place to download this utility? Googling it didn't return any download sources that I am familiar with.

Thanks for any help!
Shogouki

Post by Shogouki »

Did you ever fix your memory problem in DW:U? I'm having issues now that I've never had before and I'm confused as to what is wrong.

Return to “Tech Support”