Russian OOB accurate?

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

paulderynck

RE: Russian OOB accurate?

Post by paulderynck »

We played a great deal of Third Reich but once WiF appeared, those days were lost to antiquity.
Paul
brian brian

Post by brian brian »

Third Reich was the first game that let you play the whole European WWII. It was fascinating and on par with the operational level Avalon Hill classics, but with a grand strategy element added on - you didn't have to replay the historical war. I doubt any Third Reich player stuck with the game after a single glimpse of World in Flames though. I sure didn't, and I played Third Reich at the tournament level.
Neilster

Post by Neilster »

ORIGINAL: brian brian

I liked the old division level games of the Eastern Front from SPI, where each unit started out upside down with a U-movement points for the factors where 'U' was the combat factors and 'U' meant 'Untried' - you wouldn't know what you had until you tried them in combat.

Hopefully some day electronic versions of WiF can add a little more Fog of War that would be difficult with paper systems, particularly in Production and unit deployments behind the lines, etc.
Actually, the original Computer World in Flames, from which MWiF evolved, had a Fog of War feature. A FoW for MWiF was debated here years ago but Steve decided that the game mechanics provided enough variability and scope for subterfuge to make it an unnecessary complication.

Cheers, Neilster
Cheers, Neilster
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

If one wants accurate OBs, go with GRD's Europa series. Unfortunately Winston Hamilton died, and the series has gone into limbo. What is really annoying is that all the design work of Total War was finished long ago (I played playtest versions of it many, many years ago), but has not come out.

However, I do notice that there is a new (Feb 14, 2016) post to the HMSGRD website, so there is still hope.
I thought I knew how to play this game....
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

Ahh yes, DNO - Unpronouncable.

Maybe not, I was thinking of Drang Nach Osten! - Unentschieden by GDW.
Paul
Jagdtiger14

Post by Jagdtiger14 »

Third Reich was the first game that let you play the whole European WWII. It was fascinating and on par with the operational level Avalon Hill classics, but with a grand strategy element added on - you didn't have to replay the historical war. I doubt any Third Reich player stuck with the game after a single glimpse of World in Flames though. I sure didn't, and I played Third Reich at the tournament level.

That's funny Brian, that is exactly my story as well. I played A3R at the Boardgaming Championships in 1995. I was late to WiF (2002) and never looked back. A3R/Rising Sun did have a few things WiF doesn't have that WiF could benefit from...but probably cant for copyright reasons.

Conflict with the unexpected: two qualities are indispensable; first, an intellect which, even in the midst of this obscurity, is not without some traces of inner light which lead to the truth; second, the courage to follow this faint light. KvC
RFalvo69

Post by RFalvo69 »

ORIGINAL: brian brian

I still remember the blurb! "This game brings you with Guderian in Russia, with Rommel in North Africa, with Eisenhower in Normandy...!" I was immediately sold [:D]

At the time it was considered a "monster" wargame. Seen today, it is a rather compact representation of the ETO, playable around a relatively modest table and not really too long to finish - for sure not months. I never played ATR or any other follow-up, but I have fond memories of the original.

Of course WiF "fired" it - but we should never forget our ancestors [:)]
"Yes darling, I served in the Navy for eight years. I was a cook..."
"Oh dad... so you were a God-damned cook?"

(My 10 years old daughter after watching "The Hunt for Red October")
hazmaxed

Post by hazmaxed »

ORIGINAL: Perelandra67
And while it was tough have the Afrika Corps slugging it out on the road to Leningrad

Does anyone remember AH's The Russian Campaign? DAK was an optional unit in that game.

I also cut my teeth on 3rd Reich in the late 1970s, and graduated to WiF in the mid 1980s. I enjoyed both. I purchsed the AH versions of A3R/The Rising Sun when they were released, but was never able to play them.

Wasn't another version of A3R released by another company under a new name sometime within the last decade or so?
There is no overkill. There is only "open fire" and "reloading."
Extraneous

Post by Extraneous »

ORIGINAL: paulderynck

Paul I was just wondering did you progress beyond Europa 2 [&:]

University of Science Music and Culture (USMC) class of 71 and 72 ~ Extraneous (AKA Mziln)
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

I remember The Russian Campaign very well and played it a lot. Before the AH version we had the original JEDCO (?) version with the counters that were nice and chunky - they were about half again thicker than AH counters, seemed more durable, and were really nice to play with.
Paul
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

ORIGINAL: Extraneous

ORIGINAL: paulderynck

Paul I was just wondering did you progress beyond Europa 2 [&:]

I may have gotten confused between Europa and and the GDW product I mentioned. I thought at one point it was also referred to as "Europa". Actually a little research today does show them to be the same thing, I think.

http://hmsgrd.com/wordpress/?page_id=2

"DNO" - Drang Nach Osten was a game a group of us played in the mid-70s. It was one of the first "monster games" that took up a large chunk of someone's rumpus room. The Soviet OOB was exceedingly detailed, as no doubt was the German one. It had a lot of chrome to do with armor and anti-tank effects as I recall calculations to do with figuring out if you had one-half or one fifth "ATEC", etc.

I was involved in one game from the start with six players and did some pinch-hitting in a second game when the Russian winter counter-offensive started. I don't think either game actually got finished.

And we never got the "Unentschieden" add-on nor played it.
Paul
Extraneous

Post by Extraneous »

Just so everyone is on the same page of the truly monster Europa series (division and brigade/regiment scale).

The history of the Europa series.
University of Science Music and Culture (USMC) class of 71 and 72 ~ Extraneous (AKA Mziln)
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

What annoys me is that the third edition of the Europa eastern front game exists -- I played play test versions of it years ago -- it just isn't coming out.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Courtenay

What annoys me is that the third edition of the Europa eastern front game exists -- I played play test versions of it years ago -- it just isn't coming out.
warspite1

Have you read the long running list of excuses as to why? Embarrassing. Fortunately I got my money back as I paid on credit card, but its a very sad state of affairs and I guess the project will never be completed now....[:(]
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

ORIGINAL: warspite1

warspite1

Have you read the long running list of excuses as to why? Embarrassing. Fortunately I got my money back as I paid on credit card, but its a very sad state of affairs and I guess the project will never be completed now....[:(]
You know what is really embarrassing? I paid by credit card, and never realized that I could get my money back. I have no idea how I could, or could have done that.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: warspite1

warspite1

You know what is really embarrassing? I paid by credit card, and never realized that I could get my money back. I have no idea how I could, or could have done that.
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
Neilster

Post by Neilster »

The Red Army's OOB is irrelevant. These untermensch will evaporate before the irresistible force of the Wehrmacht's mighty offensive. Why, we will only have to kick in the door and the whole rotten structure will come tumbling down. The Jewish-Bolshevik menace to Europe will be wiped from the face of the Earth and...

Oh, I'm not addressing my cronies during some endless mealtime monologue. Sorry [:'(]

Cheers, Neilster

Attachments
PlanOst_2.jpg
PlanOst_2.jpg (207.08 KiB) Viewed 128 times
Cheers, Neilster

Return to “World in Flames”