Air Attrition Rates .08 (Operational Losses)

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

rmonical

Air Attrition Rates .08 (Operational Losses)

Post by rmonical »

In my .08 solo it is Turn 49. Luftwaffe Mitte just flew 9 missions with well over 1,000 sorties. Percent flown is less than 30% and fatigue is in the low teens. No Soviet fighters appeared. 4 aircraft were reported lost in the combat screens. about 60% of the sorties were bombers split evenly between twin engine and Stuka types.

About 20% of the aircraft are now damaged and I think some of these get written off in the replacement segment.

Still the loss rate seems low.
rmonical

RE: Air Attrition Rates .08 (Operational Losses)

Post by rmonical »

Casualties for dug in troops seem high.

Attachments
dugincasualties.jpg
dugincasualties.jpg (144.43 KiB) Viewed 46 times
rmonical

RE: Air Attrition Rates .08 (Operational Losses)

Post by rmonical »

This is after two turns of mud so all air groups were rested and at full strength. I flew everything until it would not impose ground casualties. I will try again next turn. There should be fewer aircraft available but a lot of Soviet units will not be dug in. The Luftwaffe should be capable of a huge sortie rate like this for only a short period.

Overall I like the new bombing rule because I no longer see the Luftwaffe not flying. I think we can use it as the basis improving the fatigue and casualty model. For example, air groups that must have flown 2-3 sorties per day still had less than 20 % fatigue. Percentage flown was less than 70% in general. They were all low on but not out of ammunition.

The level of casualties per mission may be OK, but the Luftwaffe is capable of too many mission in a week, even when well rested and well supplied. IMHO.

It is not fair in a Solo game because the AI does not know about the new rule. With 9000 aircraft, I would expect to see more interception attempts, but maybe the command and control is still lacking.

Attachments
GroundBombardment.jpg
GroundBombardment.jpg (265.19 KiB) Viewed 47 times

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”