You ever seen a game made like this....?

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

aaatoysandmore

You ever seen a game made like this....?

Post by aaatoysandmore »

It's a 4x space game like Master of Orion or Distant Worlds but during the combat sequence when boarding ships it changes to first person FPS inside the ship with the ships template design. Not some generic design for all ships. If it has levels then you have to seek out the enemy on all levels. Anything like that out there?
GaryChildress

RE: You ever seen a game made like this....?

Post by GaryChildress »

ORIGINAL: aaatoysandmore

Anything like that out there?

Not that I'm aware of. Sounds like it would be interesting, though.
Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

Closest things that comes to mind are Rules of Engagement and Breech (or Breach) game series. In RoE games player commands in real-time one starship and can command other friendly starships (if any). When boarding action happens, Breech game starts (if one is installed) and boarding action combat will be played on that game. Breech games are isometric turn based tactical games.
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
Rising-Sun

Post by Rising-Sun »

This game may have what you are looking for, since it still under development. I am going to wait til they finish it before I grab it.

http://predestinationgame.com/
wings7

Post by wings7 »

ORIGINAL: RisingSun

This game may have what you are looking for, since it still under development. I am going to wait til they finish it before I grab it.

Looks like a winner...it's in Early Access and the reviews look promising...[:)]
http://store.steampowered.com/app/34021 ... 1_7_15__13
Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427
WYBaugh

Post by WYBaugh »

ORIGINAL: Matti Kuokkanen

Closest things that comes to mind are Rules of Engagement and Breech (or Breach) game series. In RoE games player commands in real-time one starship and can command other friendly starships (if any). When boarding action happens, Breech game starts (if one is installed) and boarding action combat will be played on that game. Breech games are isometric turn based tactical games.

Love Rules of Engagement and Breach. Was thinking about both while listening to my current Science Fiction book.
waltero

Post by waltero »

"During the combat sequence when boarding ships it changes to FPS inside the ship."

Some hard choices would have to be made in order to jump ship.
Engaging auto Pilate in order to continue Space (ship) combat, while you (captain) participate in the landing party.

Would be nice to have a game that would allow multiple players to join (same team) or oppose you in combat.

"WELL ~ Mrs. LIncoln,
other than that, How was the play?
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

Yeah, a coop 4x could be fun with lots of races. Battling it out in the stars in a 4x manner and then boarding ships for some f2f fun. Maybe even have some alien ships every once in awhile come along with creatures like alien. But, just a straight up fps isn't as much fun as it would seem to be if there was a reason for it like a 4x.
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

That game looks like a more detailed 4x but I don't see the fps boarding of other ships in any of the clips. Do you have a clip to share with that?
Hertston

Post by Hertston »

Not really sure how that would work with a 4X game? I always like them to have a good tactical space combat engine included, but going down to that level would just become an annoying distraction very quickly unless it was itself of 'AAA' quality or close to it. And what developer would put something like that in when many/most might just hit he 'auto resolve' button anyway, to get on the game proper.

I agree with the others, an updated version of something like the Rules of Engagement & Breach (2, I think it was?) could work very well with the turn-based tactics replaced by an FPS Rainbow Six style thing.
waltero

Post by waltero »

Imagine if you will; Taking many of the games that are already being played (live Multiplayer) and combining them with one huge master game. Something like Maters of Orion, allowing players to fight your ground battle, space battles etc. for you.

Having to bid, bribe, entice, purchase top ranking players to fight for your side. Players could just go to their favorite Space flight simulator game or Ground combat game; end results, manually put into the master game...solar system controlled, Planet destroyed.

Or simply having multiple players fighting for a single faction (4xgame)...allowing for real time ground/space tactics.

Space Battles should be done similar to that of Orion pirates...taking ship design (and combat) to a whole new level.
"WELL ~ Mrs. LIncoln,
other than that, How was the play?
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

Yeah that ^^^ also.
Rising-Sun

Post by Rising-Sun »

That game looks like a more detailed 4x but I don't see the fps boarding of other ships in any of the clips. Do you have a clip to share with that?

Sure don't, you will have to do some research on that for yourself. I had it on my wish list and told them that once they finish up alpha then I may look into it.
catwhoorg

Post by catwhoorg »

It's a 4x space game like Master of Orion or Distant Worlds but during the combat sequence when boarding ships it changes to first person FPS inside the ship with the ships template design. Not some generic design for all ships. If it has levels then you have to seek out the enemy on all levels. Anything like that out there?

Years ago on the ZX Spectrum (and presumably other era computers), there was a strategic WWII game, where you could hop in and "fight" in a tank.

It was OK, but the FPS aspect of the tank rather dominated the strategic play. A badly outclassed unit, played by you could win against almost anything.

Return to “General Discussion”