Iranian Offensive Jammers

Take command of air and naval assets from post-WW2 to the near future in tactical and operational scale, complete with historical and hypothetical scenarios and an integrated scenario editor.

Moderator: MOD_Command

DWReese

Iranian Offensive Jammers

Post by DWReese »

Hi guys,

I was wondering what kind of performance that a game player can reasonably expect from an Iranian Offensive Jammer? I have used them a couple of times, and I can see that my attacking planes have the "Jammed" tag next to their unit, but I can't really tell to what level their abilities have been degraded.

Can anyone shed a little bit of light on this topic? Are there other jammers that are more, or less, powerful?

Thanks.

Doug
magi

RE: Iranian Offensive Jammers

Post by magi »

PLAY IN EDITOR MODE... SWITCH SIDES BACK AND FORTH AND SEE WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE... sorry about the caps....
DWReese

Post by DWReese »

I did play it using the Editor's function. The only thing that I see is that the jamming unit does say "jamming", and the units being jammed say "jammed." The ones being jammed still can apparently see everything without any difficulty or impairment. So, that is why I asked the question. I don't see that they do too much, or anything, at all.

Can someone tell me how they are designed to work? That way I will know if they are doing whatever it is that they are supposed to do. I've successfully used the OECM planes jamming the ground units before. Those seem to work. But, I haven't seen that the ground OECM units that are supposed to be jamming the attacking planes seems to be doing anything at all.

Doug
Dysta

Post by Dysta »

Ground based OECM are for disrupting hostile missile's datalink or luring ARMs to either hit it instead, or make them harder to track radar emission. I haven't tried how effective they are in game, but I think it might be like aerial OECM, but static and easily overwhelmed by flanking or using stand-off unguided bombs.
thewood1

Post by thewood1 »

Have you rnu any kind of formal test or just observation? I would think you could pretty easily run some formal tests and see how effective they are. No OECM will hide units forever. In the game, it will just take longer to acquire.
Dysta

Post by Dysta »

It might help if DWR can upload a savefile for us to find out.
mikmykWS

Post by mikmykWS »

Just did a quick test with an F-15I vs. the Iranian ground jammer in the db.

Starting the F-15I a hundred miles out at high altitude its jammed. F-15I didn't detect the jammer until its FLIR (optical sensor) got in range.
Starting the F-15I a hundred miles out at low altitude its jammed when its gets about 30nm out. Again FLIR detects.

Doug can you be a little more specific on what your questions is. Are you asking if the Iranian Jammer should be able to to do that or are you thinking there is a bug? IIRC they buy most of the their EW gear from the Russians so should be very good.

Mike
DWReese

Post by DWReese »

Hi Mike,

Thanks for responding.

Really, my question is simple and basic; what kind of performance should I expect from a OECM jamming ground unit? Will it prevent me from seeing my targets for a longer period of time? (This is what I figured that it would do.)

What if the targets (such as buildings)are known and fixed locations? Would a jammer of this type do anything at all? The attacking units already have a GPS coordinates for the target, so what good would a jammer actually do? Would I need a GPS jammer-type unit?

I am really just trying to understand how they work. I use them turned on and turned off, in the same scenario replayed, and I don't see that they actually hide anything. Again, that may be because every unit's position is kind of already known.

Just a brief overview of the unit's expected capabilities would suffice.

Thanks again. Whenever you get around to it, it's not really that big of a deal.

Doug
mikmykWS

Post by mikmykWS »

If you're using radar to detect ground units or guide weapons its should. All other means of guidance and detection should remain unaffected though.

I think the big to do is they're able to jam GPS and possibly UAV guidance channels (so comms) which is likely true. We haven't gotten to comms jamming yet but hope to some time in the future.

Thanks!

Mike
DWReese

Post by DWReese »

Thanks again, Mike

Return to “Command: Modern Operations series”