Help with Difficulty Settings

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

godochaos

Help with Difficulty Settings

Post by godochaos »

Hi, im trying to train myself to play the game again after not playing for a few years. I want to play as the Soviets against the German AI in 41' campaign. I expect this would be pretty casual since its the AI, so I'm wondering what settings you suggest I put the German AI at in order to make it more difficult but not crazy?

Here is what I have:

FOW on for soviets
Lock HQ support on for soviets
Reduced Blizzard effect on
Soviet Combat Bonus +1 attack

Morale German 110 Soviet 90
Fort Germs 110 Soviet 100
LogisticsGerms110 Soviet 100
TransportGerms110 Soviet 90
Admin Germs110 Soviet 100

Commanderski

RE: Help with Difficulty Settings

Post by Commanderski »

Those settings should work pretty good for you. If you think the AI is still too soft you can bump up the changes as you go along, you don't have to restart with new changes for that.
gingerbread

Post by gingerbread »

You might want to add a house rule for yourself to not attack isolated Axis. It's OK to surround and attack the first turn you cut them off since they will rout out of the pocket but not OK to force surrender. This means that if you fail to rout them that turn of first surround they can stay so it's a bit of a gamble. [;)]
godochaos

Post by godochaos »

Great info guys, I think i'm also going to add an additional house rule to have Soviet forces stand and fight on a few of the early turns, as opposed to retreat and reorg.
Comrade Stalin wants the fascists defeated at the border!
JTP

Post by JTP »

Another option that I like to use again the AI, maybe it's already being used.

Always have a reserve, instead of having every unit involved.

I.e., three divisions in a corp, have one in reserve, three regiments, have one in reserve, etc., etc.,
The number of units in the parent org. doesn't matter; just have a reserve.

Sometimes, the situation dictates having all hands on deck, but the above, is military sop I believe.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”