Big Blue Blanket option needed

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

zuluhour

RE: Big Blue Blanket option needed

Post by zuluhour »

I believe our friend to be of strong will and not easily moved by the prose of others. He has donated enough time
for me to understand the value he brings to the forums. For lack of a better term, I regard him as playful. [;)]
SqzMyLemon

Post by SqzMyLemon »

ORIGINAL: AW1Steve

My big concern is that due to the "piling on" effect, Alfred may disappear for a long (or worse ...permanent) sabbatical. [:(]

My thinking is no one's personal opinions are going to change here. It's best this is locked before someone says something that could have repercussions on the community, like Alfred disappearing for example. Best to close this and move on.
Luck is the residue of design - John Milton

Don't mistake lack of talent for genius - Peter Steele (Type O Negative)
zuluhour

Post by zuluhour »

yepper +1
BillBrown

Post by BillBrown »

I would like to point out that as far as I can tell, Alfred never worked on AE as a developer. He is a very knowledgeable user but has no inside information.
He gleans all of his information from the manual, personal knowledge, and posts on the forum. In other words, all of the information pertaining to the game that Alfred posts is
available to anyone who will spend the time to look for it. His hints, tips and discourses on Strategy and Tactics is another matter.

Admiral DadMan

Post by Admiral DadMan »

Alfred had called out my idiocy on occasion. And he was right. I don't mind it. I'm a big boy.

Just because you don't like the message doesn't mean that you kill the messenger.

+1 your armor.
Scenario 127: "Scraps of Paper"
(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

CVB Langley:
mind_messing

Post by mind_messing »

Alfred knows his stuff, but that doesn't justify his persecutory delusions, and most certainly not his god complex.
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

I have a gorn complex.

BillBrown

Post by BillBrown »

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

I have a gorn complex.

A complex Gorn? Is that an oxymoron? [&:][:D]
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

Of course it is. I also have a persecution complex involving a certain Cpt. Kirk.

rustysi

Post by rustysi »

Doesn't the LR CAP look for anything enemy in the vicinity?

There have been threads which explain this, and IIRC LRCAP will not engage CAP.
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
Rusty1961

Post by Rusty1961 »

ORIGINAL: Alfred

ORIGINAL: AW1Steve

ORIGINAL:

Read the 2009-2011 posts from the devs and you will see most of them quickly lost patience dealing with stupid/plain outright historically wrong/unrealistic demands from ignorant/arrogant/trolls. One of my favourite posts from that era involves a dev (who shall remain nameless and no it wasn't JWE/Symon) who despite several detailed rebuttals of a particular individual who combined all the qualities of being ignorant and arrogant and troll and just plain wrong, eventually just stated "and you don't read well".

Alfred

Excuse me? My request for the "blue blanket" was not Historically wrong, Alfred.

It was a valid and historical tactic.

Now I'm just a lowly consumer and I have no idea of what is "entirely new code" or can be corrected in a patch, so you'll have to pardon my ignorance of this field, but to imply my request came anywhere near the 2009-2011 episode is beyond the pale.

[:-]
God made man, but Sam Colt made them equal.
LoBaron

Post by LoBaron »

There already are all tools in place to emulate Blue Blanket tactics. What do you want? A Blue Blanket button?

You can
  • created DD picket TFs, deploy them forward and protect them with LRCAP.
  • strafe airfields used as homebase for kamikaze ops.
  • set LRCAP over airfields used as homebase for kamikaze ops to increase op losses of aircraft operating from there.

So if you think it is needed, just do it.

This thread is full of hot air.
bobdina

Post by bobdina »

Amen.
Rusty1961

Post by Rusty1961 »

ORIGINAL: LoBaron

There already are all tools in place to emulate Blue Blanket tactics. What do you want? A Blue Blanket button?

You can
  • set LRCAP over airfields used as homebase for kamikaze ops to increase op losses of aircraft operating from there.

Thank you for your attention! The problem is none of these are BB options.

A BB has the CAP operating outside the Flak Envelope so sending my fighters into strafe is not historically analogous. Strafing also isn't effective in this or other GG games.

Take care!
God made man, but Sam Colt made them equal.
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

ORIGINAL: Rusty1961

You can

Strafing is generally minimally effective and puts your fighters at greater risk. Use it when the opponent has little AA or AAA.

A BB has the CAP operating outside the Flak Envelope so sending my fighters into strafe is not historically analogous. Strafing also isn't effective in this or other GG games.

Take care!

Messed that up sorry.
Strafing is generally minimally effective and puts your fighters at greater risk. Use it when the opponent has little AA or AAA.

rustysi

Post by rustysi »

Allow me t repeat myself.
You need to sweep and bomb bases in order to subjugate them.

If you wish to interdict an enemy airbase this is what you need to do, and you can use your 'big blue blanket' to do it. Alternately you can add any 4E's that may reach as well. Just as the US did at Truk.
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
LoBaron

Post by LoBaron »

ORIGINAL: Rusty1961

You can

Take care!

A forum works strictly on crap in crap out principles. This exactly is what backfires at you.

Your OP sugested that you would like to have tools available to mimic BB tactics historically applied to counter the kamikaze threat. I responded to you that they already are there: CAP, LRCAP, pickets, strafe missions (more so if you care to think for yourself and extend the term 'strafe' to 'suppress'/'bomb').

Since you obviously missed the crucial question in my last post I will try to reformulate:
If you still think this is not sufficient, what precisely do you want? From a functional perspective that is.

If you have no idea - and from your OP it looks exactly like you don´t - then I would suggest you sit back, take your time, and come back with a proposal that makes sense. While you are at it you could also aleady try and figure out some unwanted sideffects/potential exploits of your proposal.

If you are unable to achieve the above, but still feel the need to post, then don´t complain if you receive another Alfred stile butt spanking. Easy as that.
Admiral DadMan

Post by Admiral DadMan »

ORIGINAL: rustysi

Allow me t repeat myself.
You need to sweep and bomb bases in order to subjugate them.

If you wish to interdict an enemy airbase this is what you need to do, and you can use your 'big blue blanket' to do it. Alternately you can add any 4E's that may reach as well. Just as the US did at Truk.
I like subjugation.

I like conjugation too, but that's a different subject.

And then... Gorn.
Scenario 127: "Scraps of Paper"
(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

CVB Langley:
zuluhour

Post by zuluhour »

Oddly, my only "wish" is still the one from several years ago. I wish we could place an icon ie. bouy, give it a name, and make it a way point.
Because:
I could send out my subs to one, then place them in patrol routes. (map scrolling gets old)
establish sea lanes and route convoys so&nbsp;much easier.
establish picket lines (I don't use freighters as the USN for IJ I have no problem with it.)
co-ordinate invasion TFs.
&nbsp;
2 cents...
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

ORIGINAL: zuluhour

Oddly, my only "wish" is still the one from several years ago. I wish we could place an icon ie. bouy, give it a name, and make it a way point.
Because:
I could send out my subs to one, then place them in patrol routes. (map scrolling gets old)
establish sea lanes and route convoys so much easier.
establish picket lines (I don't use freighters as the USN for IJ I have no problem with it.)
co-ordinate invasion TFs.

2 cents...

You probably have the same thing I do. A notebook full of transport routes and co-ordinates from which you can make probability zones for placing your subs, hopefully using subs w/float planes for search.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”