Win10 upgrade issue

Post bug reports and ask for help with other issues here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

m10bob

RE: Win10 upgrade issue

Post by m10bob »

Bill...It's the damnest thing..I thought all my win10 problems were resolved because I am having no problems with the RHS mod whatsoever..(It runs outside the Matrix Games folder entirely).

I then fresh installed the stock game into the usual Matrix folder and it is having all the "slow moving" issues, in spite of the fact I am using the exact same switches as the RHS installation!

Being a "plank owner", of course the addiction to the game is serious,(LOL), and I never "give up).

I am doing all sorts of experimenting.

The new computer I use now is pretty much a copy of my last...An HP Pavilion with quad core..(which I was also able to play on thanks to your help on the last computer.)

I will let the folks in the forum know what finally resolved my issues...and will check back to see if anybody else has come up with a solution on why one version works...and not the original.

witpqs

Post by witpqs »

ORIGINAL: m10bob

Bill...It's the damnest thing..I thought all my win10 problems were resolved because I am having no problems with the RHS mod whatsoever..(It runs outside the Matrix Games folder entirely).

I then fresh installed the stock game into the usual Matrix folder and it is having all the "slow moving" issues, in spite of the fact I am using the exact same switches as the RHS installation!

Being a "plank owner", of course the addiction to the game is serious,(LOL), and I never "give up).

The new computer I use now is pretty much a copy of my last...An HP Pavilion with quad core..(which I was also able to play on thanks to your help on the last computer.)

I will let the folks in the forum know what finally resolved my issues...and will check back to see if anybody else has come up with a solution on why one version works...and not the original.
Maybe a subtle typo in the switches, Bob?

Or even (maybe) you modified a shortcut that is pointing at autorun.exe instead of directly at the main game exe file?
Admiral DadMan

Post by Admiral DadMan »

ORIGINAL: witpqs

Or even (maybe) you modified a shortcut that is pointing at autorun.exe instead of directly at the main game exe file?
If you did a copy/paste install, it's always best to create a new shortcut from the AdmiralEdition.exe file and then add your switches in. I know that I've forgotten to do that, and then wondered why things were wonky.
Scenario 127: "Scraps of Paper"
(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

CVB Langley:
m10bob

Post by m10bob »

I am positive the error is mine, just working thru what all I have done..Latest attempt was this:"C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\autorun.exe" -altFont -archive -deepColor -SingleCpuOrders -dd_sw

Now, the fact is the original file I am using in this shortcut(as you can see) is marked "autorun.exe", which differs from that RHS mod which works just fine!!..Might be on it guys!!!

m10bob

Post by m10bob »

THAT WAS IT!!! I did not scroll down thru the files to the correct exe icon graphic and had made a shortcut of the "autorun.exe" instead......

If I ever break my leg playing football or something...I only hope you and Admiral Dadman are around to haul my dummazz off the field, again, LOL....

wdolson

Post by wdolson »

You should be using the game EXE not the autorun.exe.

I'm mildly dyslexic and I sweat when I need to copy a long string of characters and can't just copy and paste. I'll get something wrong and then not be able to see it and I pull my hair out for a long time. It gets a lot worse when I'm tired.

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
m10bob

Post by m10bob »

ORIGINAL: wdolson

You should be using the game EXE not the autorun.exe.

I'm mildly dyslexic and I sweat when I need to copy a long string of characters and can't just copy and paste. I'll get something wrong and then not be able to see it and I pull my hair out for a long time. It gets a lot worse when I'm tired.

Bill

In my case...as usual...you are being polite.

My experiences of late are a living testimony to the fantastic friends and help to be found on these forums.

anglonorman

Post by anglonorman »

I have a new gaming laptop, WIndows 10, 2Gig Nvidia GTX960 Graphics Card, 16g DDR4 memory. Yep a top a flight system and this game runs like absolute crap on it. Tried all the switches mentioned here and the game lags terribly, like 10-15 seconds to execute a mouse click command on a hex or unit icon. The game also will not adhere to any graphics switches I use from the lowly 1024x768 to 1920x1080. They just don't work. I have a desktop system which is about a year old (in terms of upgrades) with win7 64 bit, GTX750ti Graphics card 1920x1080 display 16gb ddr3 memory and the game runs fine on that system. No lags and relatively smooth scrolling.But on my new Laptop no way. I think for a newer system nothing is going to work unless the developers tweak or show us how to tweak the graphics file for the game. NOT WINDOWS 10 COMPATIBLE in my case for sure.
Alfred

Post by Alfred »

ORIGINAL: Daviddas

I have a new gaming laptop, WIndows 10, 2Gig Nvidia GTX960 Graphics Card, 16g DDR4 memory. Yep a top a flight system and this game runs like absolute crap on it. Tried all the switches mentioned here and the game lags terribly, like 10-15 seconds to execute a mouse click command on a hex or unit icon. The game also will not adhere to any graphics switches I use from the lowly 1024x768 to 1920x1080. They just don't work. I have a desktop system which is about a year old (in terms of upgrades) with win7 64 bit, GTX750ti Graphics card 1920x1080 display 16gb ddr3 memory and the game runs fine on that system. No lags and relatively smooth scrolling.But on my new Laptop no way. I think for a newer system nothing is going to work unless the developers tweak or show us how to tweak the graphics file for the game. NOT WINDOWS 10 COMPATIBLE in my case for sure.

You haven't applied the switches correctly. You are not the only person in the world using Win10 and the others who use it have had success when they have applied the switches correctly.

Put up screenshots showing the switches you claim have failed to work so we can see exactly what you have done incorrectly.

Alfred
Admiral DadMan

Post by Admiral DadMan »

ORIGINAL: Alfred

You haven't applied the switches correctly. You are not the only person in the world using Win10 and the others who use it have had success when they have applied the switches correctly.

Put up screenshots showing the switches you claim have failed to work so we can see exactly what you have done incorrectly.

Alfred
A vast majority of the time "slow mouse click response" problem is cured by the -deepColor switch applied to the target field of a shortcut to the AdmiralEdition.exe file (not the autorun.exe).
(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

CVB Langley:
Korvar

Post by Korvar »

-wd -pxf1888 -pyf1062 -archive -deepColor -multiaudio -dd_sw -altFont -skipVideo

These are the switches I'm using in Win10 and WitP:AE runs great. -deepColor and -dd_sw are the ones to pay particular attention with regards to Win10 / interface performance. The above is set up for windowed mode in order to easily switch between the game and Tracker, Combat Reporter, and my planning map on other monitors.
MBF

Post by MBF »

Did anyone solve the issue of the 'tabbing' out that occurs if playing full screen ? I will play for 30 seconds to 2 minutes and my desktop appears - then the game comes back about 2 sec later - I have not done exhaustive tests of the command line switches but when I am back to my PC I will post the settings

Edit: Here is my shortcut:

"C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\Beta2\War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe" -dd_sw -deepColor -archive -px1920 -py1080 -f -skipVideo -SingleCpuOrders

Part of me wonders if this is something that will go away after a day or 2 - I just updated to Win10 yesterday
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

ORIGINAL: MBF

Did anyone solve the issue of the 'tabbing' out that occurs if playing full screen ? I will play for 30 seconds to 2 minutes and my desktop appears - then the game comes back about 2 sec later - I have not done exhaustive tests of the command line switches but when I am back to my PC I will post the settings

Edit: Here is my shortcut:

"C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\Beta2\War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe" -dd_sw -deepColor -archive -px1920 -py1080 -f -skipVideo -SingleCpuOrders

Part of me wonders if this is something that will go away after a day or 2 - I just updated to Win10 yesterday
The way I have solved it for myself is this. I have two shortcuts, one for full screen mode, one for windowed mode. I run the combat replay (aka turn resolution) in full screen mode. Then I exit the game, and run the shortcut for windowed mode. That is where I give orders because I can easily switch back and forth to other programs quite easily with no stupid side-effects.
MBF

Post by MBF »

Thanks - witpqs :-)

Out of curiosity - I tried windowed - but I run a dual monitor setup so scrolling north/south/west is not a problem but if I scroll to the east I have to hit a really small 'sweet spot' to get the map to scroll - or click on the mini-map - is there way around this ?
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

Out of curiosity - I tried windowed - but I run a dual monitor setup so scrolling north/south/west is not a problem but if I scroll to the east I have to hit a really small 'sweet spot' to get the map to scroll - or click on the mini-map - is there way around this ?
I've never messed with multiple monitors - I have no clue.
BillBrown

Post by BillBrown »

I scroll to the East using the left arrow key. It is habit now and I do it without thinking about it.
MBF

Post by MBF »

+1

That will work ! Thanks Bill !
Korvar

Post by Korvar »

Personally, I use the arrow keys on the keyboard to do all map scrolling, which I have mapped to a Logitech G13 gamepad for convenience/comfort.

If you really like mouse scrolling, you need to lock the mouse to the monitor where WitP:AE is. DisplayFusion Pro can do this via its 'Lock/Unlock Mouse to Current Monitor' function. It does cost $ to purchase, but I highly recommend it in general for multi-monitor setups. Keep in mind you'll want the game window to reach the horizontal edges of your primary monitor in order for the mouse edge detection to work. The locking just prevents the cursor from continuing to the other screen, effectively holding the cursor in the 'sweet spot' for you.

From doing a quick search, there are also some other programs like the free CursorLock that can do the same thing; I haven't used any of them, though, so I can't comment on their functionality. Cursor Lock seems promising, though.
Admiral DadMan

Post by Admiral DadMan »

ORIGINAL: BillBrown

I scroll to the East using the left arrow key. It is habit now and I do it without thinking about it.
Am I dyslexic, or do you mean West with the left arrow?
(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

CVB Langley:
BillBrown

Post by BillBrown »

ORIGINAL: Admiral DadMan

ORIGINAL: BillBrown

Am I dyslexic, or do you mean West with the left arrow?

Just me I guess. I can use the mouse to scroll the map up, down, or to the right. But it doesn't work to the left.
Anyway, I use the arrow keys to do most of my scrolling.

Return to “Tech Support”