Advice re Soviet PVO AA Brigades

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21

wga8888

Advice re Soviet PVO AA Brigades

Post by wga8888 »

Opponent & I are in our last scenario (Operation Typhoon) before we move into a pbem campaign game. I have inherited one soviet PVO Brigade; I have not built any. {I think PVO is the shorthand name for Soviet Air force). This is an on map unit (unlike PVO AA Regiments & battalion support units) and counts towards the 3 unit stacking. Where is the best place to deploy it? I assume normally in a target city but scenario is at the soviet winter defensive portion where I am on the offensive, such as it is. Should AA Brigade be with Stavka front HQ, attacking army HQ? If I was playing a campaign, should I be building any of these units of just put a HQ in likely target cities and build AA regiments & battalion support units?
-PVO AA Brigade: 60x85mm; 12x37mm; on map unit
-PVO AA Battalion: 7x85mm; 2x37mm; support unit
-AA Battalion; 12x85mm; 3x12.7mm; support unit
Bill Thomson
wga8888@icloud.com
Discord: wga8888 #7339
817-501-2978 CST [-6 GMT]
Hermann

RE: Advice re Soviet PVO AA Brigades

Post by Hermann »

PVO is the Russian Air Defense Command. And you've lots of them click on your cities ( Leningrad etc.. and you'll see they are attached to the cities. If you have areas you think may be bombed ( defended cities, cities with Airfields etc.. Most importantly critical ports you can attach them to the city or remove them.
Hermann

Post by Hermann »

Use it as an AT unit if its on the map or stack it with airbase counters if the enemy is bombing the afs
Hermann

Post by Hermann »

Say if your in the Moscow Hex. you can attach up to 6 brigades of PVO AA to Moscow. When the enemy attacks itll give a solid defense against his air support and cause him casualties but if you lose the city ... oopsie
wga8888

Post by wga8888 »

I can attack AA support units. How do I best use AA Brigades (on map units)? Should I be building them?
Bill Thomson
wga8888@icloud.com
Discord: wga8888 #7339
817-501-2978 CST [-6 GMT]
charlie0311

Post by charlie0311 »

Hi,

For the campaign game I build one for each air army, leave them in the rear, bring them forward to aid in defense of my air bases if my opponent wants bomb them. Otherwise I see no use for them. IMHO.
ericv

Post by ericv »

PVO means противовоздушной обороны.

which sounds like
protivo vosdoushny oboroni. Meaning literally

Against Air (from воздух, with inflection) defense.

which is the same as Air defense troops.

Return to “The War Room”