Islands of Destiny: RA 5.0 Japanese Side

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Lowpe

RE: Implications

Post by Lowpe »

I sank an American sub in August of 1944.

At least the pilot reported it sunk.[:D]
njp72

Post by njp72 »

LOL, now I can relate to this[:)]

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

I sank an American sub in August of 1944.

At least the pilot reported it sunk.[:D]
obvert

Post by obvert »

For me the highlight was being able to still fight in 45 in my game with Jocke. Those late strikes around Korea kept me in the game for a few more weeks and just felt good after months of getting stomped on all fronts. [:)]
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill
crsutton

Post by crsutton »

I had a flaming Japanese betty pilot go kamikaze on me in late 1944. Put a magazine explosion on an Iowa class BB, but that was about it. A good Allied player should not need to lose a division size unit after the initial early war disasters. (China excepted). I actually pulled that off in my first campaign by managed to lose a first class Australian division in a poorly planned and premature attempt to take Port Blair in my current campaign. I personally think that even with Da Babes that it is way too easy for the Allied player to pull off fantastic invasions in 1942-43. (Not to mention Japan) I really try to play a more realistic and historical game but if either player is willing to risk losing units, there can be some big payoffs.

The loss at Sumatra was a serious one for Dan but speaking from the Allied perspective, I do not see it as a disaster. I have always said that if the Allies do not lose their carriers in 42-43 that they can pretty much survive any other sort of blow. The real decision will come at sea. Whoever wins the "big" carrier fight will have the edge. It matters little how many divisions a player has if he does not have control of the sea. Auto victory aside, the only major Japanese victories that I have seen have come with the total smashing of the Allied navy. Calling this one a draw so far. Lots more action to come.
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
Mike McCreery

Post by Mike McCreery »

ORIGINAL: crsutton

I had a flaming Japanese betty pilot go kamikaze on me in late 1944. Put a magazine explosion on an Iowa class BB, but that was about it. A good Allied player should not need to lose a division size unit after the initial early war disasters. (China excepted). I actually pulled that off in my first campaign by managed to lose a first class Australian division in a poorly planned and premature attempt to take Port Blair in my current campaign. I personally think that even with Da Babes that it is way too easy for the Allied player to pull off fantastic invasions in 1942-43. (Not to mention Japan) I really try to play a more realistic and historical game but if either player is willing to risk losing units, there can be some big payoffs.

The loss at Sumatra was a serious one for Dan but speaking from the Allied perspective, I do not see it as a disaster. I have always said that if the Allies do not lose their carriers in 42-43 that they can pretty much survive any other sort of blow. The real decision will come at sea. Whoever wins the "big" carrier fight will have the edge. It matters little how many divisions a player has if he does not have control of the sea. Auto victory aside, the only major Japanese victories that I have seen have come with the total smashing of the Allied navy. Calling this one a draw so far. Lots more action to come.

I agree here. Maneuver warfare is the key to the game and if you control the seas you have superior control over maneuver in many locations.

Olorin

Post by Olorin »

ORIGINAL: John 3rd

Serious Question: Does anyone know of another Japanese Player who had something similar to this occur at this stage of the war? Better yet--lots of JFB read this AAR so how about you sound off on what YOU consider to be your best moment in a campaign. Sound off and take some pride in accomplishment. Let us hear it!

I think Michael (NYGiants) could add his experience on this matter.[:D]

6 American divisions, 300 tanks and 500 airplanes were destroyed in August '43 in Western Australia in a brilliantly planned and executed envelopment. 150.000 Americans, including McArthur, became prisoners of war.

Edit: We continued playing until September '44. What the effect on the Allied war effort and replacement pools was, was hard to tell from my side. Maybe Michael has the answer.
HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

You are all very welcome!

The stream of "yes we have justifiable reason to celebrate" posts would never have happened had I not thrown down the gauntlet.
Hans

Grfin Zeppelin

Post by Grfin Zeppelin »

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

The stream of "yes we have justifiable reason to celebrate" posts would never have happened had I not thrown down the gauntlet.
"I am part of that power which eternally wills AFB and eternally works JFB."

John 3rd

I-Boats

Post by John 3rd »

I need to seriously update my individual subs tally sheet but the success of my Submarine Arm has been amazing. Here is the exodus from the Marshalls--Gilberts with Japan's I-Boats striking yet once again.

Attachments
SSJuly.jpg
SSJuly.jpg (235.47 KiB) Viewed 66 times

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.
ny59giants

RE: I-Boats

Post by ny59giants »

You have until mid-Sept until the Americans start producing at least 6 to 8 DEs per month forever and ever. [;)]
[center]Image[/center]
John 3rd

Post by John 3rd »

Thanks for that joyful news!

HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

ORIGINAL: ny59giants

You have until mid-Sept until the Americans start producing at least 6 to 8 DEs per month forever and ever. [;)]

Don't forget the Patrol Frigates with 11 ASW value!
Hans

obvert

Post by obvert »

ORIGINAL: Gräfin Zeppelin

"I am part of that power which eternally wills AFB and eternally works JFB."

Love it!!

(Hi from Bonn tonight Graffin!)
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

ORIGINAL: ny59giants

Don't forget the Patrol Frigates with 11 ASW value!

Really? I could use a few of those![:)]

It really is disappointing you can't board and capture some of the smaller ships.
John 3rd

Post by John 3rd »

Don't be giving away my FIRST Commando Operation. We're sneaking into San Fran and stealing the first six of these wessels. Shhhhhhh...don't tell Dan....

John 3rd

New Looks

Post by John 3rd »

Drat. Gave the Allies a small gift this day. Had a TF carrying a Construction Bn, Base Force, and Infantry Coy preparing to land at Abemanna near Tarawa and set my 60+ Fighters at Tabitueau to fly LRCAP. Weather closed in and shut down Tabit and so the TF tried to unload and got PASTED by SBDs. Lost ten small AK/AKL. Doesn't count for many points but still sucks.

On the BRIGHT side it tells me what Dan left at Tarawa. There are roughly 25 Fighters and 50 SBD. Well...we can do something about that. Time to prepare a CAP Trap. Detach two AKs from a convoy just a day away. They will go to Tabit and then get nearly 100 Fighters assigned as CAP. We'll send them north and TRASH this strike force from Tarawa. Won't bring back the lost ships but it will provide some good therapy for the Japanese player.

John 3rd

New Looks

Post by John 3rd »

With the Allied Fleet pulled out of the Marshalls, it is time to prepare for the next assault. Need to improve my warning time for Allied Ops. Am taking two steps:

1. Have decided to improve my warning time of operations by ordering 4 Long-Range I-Boats and 5 Glen-Equipped I-Boats to move to the Pearl Harbor area. Time to do some sight-seeing. Pull an additional 4 Glen Boats from the IO and they are ordered to move UP NORTH where they will do long-range scouting SE of the Aleutians.

2. Have a group of 6 small AK about the deploy in a scouting line between the Aleutians and Pearl Harbor/West Coast. Dan does this all the time so I have decided that turn about is fair play.

The ENTIRE Carrier Fleet is now upgraded. I am moving the Fleet to Marcus where it shall wait. This primitive base is perfect for either moving north and moving south quickly. The next Allied Operation shall be fully resisted by the Kido Butai.

HansBolter

RE: New Looks

Post by HansBolter »

It's about time we saw a knock down drag out carrier battle in this dustup.
Hans

ny59giants

Post by ny59giants »

The ENTIRE Carrier Fleet is now upgraded. I am moving the Fleet to Marcus where it shall wait. This primitive base is perfect for either moving north and moving south quickly. The next Allied Operation shall be fully resisted by the Kido Butai

1. Mine the base and include ACMs to maintain.
2. Disband just the CV/CVLs so a lucky American sub doesn't put a hole somewhere. [;)]
3. FP group there to provide close in ASW search.
4. AOs move here.
[center]Image[/center]
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

My experience has been if you take all the CV/CVL/CVE out of a task force it will revert to Surface TF and when you transfer the CVs back in you cannot move back to Air Combat. I am probably doing something wrong.[;)]

Could hurt if you picked a good task force commander.

I would urge caution on your use of the KB. Even in this mod, strength versus strength doesn't seem to work very often for Japan from 43 onward. He has better radars, better fighters. Be sly on using the KB. I am not sure sure when you will get better fighters, but you get some nifty ones in the mod later.

Of course, this is your strength, so feel free to do whatever you think best.[:)]

Max your search, make him come to you, and pick your battlefield. IMHO.[:)]

Return to “After Action Reports”