how do engineer - Sapper Brigades work exactly?

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

Mamluke

how do engineer - Sapper Brigades work exactly?

Post by Mamluke »

So, from my understanding, the engineer - Sapper Brigades can work both as a combat unit AND a rail repair unit, which is quit convenient.
However, how does one change it back to "combat mode" ?

For ex: on turn 1, you have a engineer - Sapper Brigade unit with 16 MP, standing behind the front line, I say its in combat mode. then you press the "return to HQ".

by next turn, the Unit is doing rail repair somewhere with 0 MPs and I don't see anything that can make it go back to Combat mode, So how Do I do it?

thanks in advance.
Denniss

RE: how do engineer - Sapper Brigades work exactly?

Post by Denniss »

Construction support units may sometimes be on the map to repair rail but they are not in combat mode and may not manually be placed on the map.
WitE dev team - (aircraft data)
WitE 1.08+ dev team (data/scenario maintainer)
WitW dev team (aircraft data, partial data/scenario maintainer)
WitE2 dev team (aircraft data)
Mamluke

Post by Mamluke »

I specifically mention engineer - sapper brigades right? I would not even expect constructions units to have a combat mode.

But I know for a fact the engineer sapper Brigade is different! heck for ex: in the Scenario "drama on the Danube 44" the SOV have engineer sapper Brigade right at the front Lines! position to attack the Germans.

EDIT: I just check the manual and I found this : " Soviet Assault Engineer Sapper Brigades have been divided into two separate OBs - OB 486 (Assault Engineer-Sapper Brigade) and OB 500 (Engineer-Sapper Brigade). Units that use OB 500 are now off-map support construction units. Result is no more duplicate engineer brigades. * "

could it be that only the ones that have Assault in their name can be on "combat mode"!? those ones can't even repair?

actually I can give a better exem: in the Stalingrad to Berlim Scenario, the Volkhov front has an Engineer Sapper Brigades with 16 MP! NOT A Assault Engineer Sapper Brigade. JUST Engineer Sapper Brigade. with the option "return to HQ"
Denniss

Post by Denniss »

Units with OB 486 are on-map units, they help in combat but can't repair rail.
Units with OB 500 are support units which may be auto-placed on map to repair rail.
The on-map setup of OB-500-units in StoB is somewhat strange, placement with movement points is an obvious error.
WitE dev team - (aircraft data)
WitE 1.08+ dev team (data/scenario maintainer)
WitW dev team (aircraft data, partial data/scenario maintainer)
WitE2 dev team (aircraft data)

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”