Combining Regiments to Division (1st MARDIV)

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Rusty1961

Combining Regiments to Division (1st MARDIV)

Post by Rusty1961 »

Okay, the 1st Marine Regiment is about to come in the game and I have the other 2 regiments of the 1st MARDIV in SF.

How do I combine them into a single division instead of keeping them broken up as 3 regiments.

And can I combine Pursuit Squadrons into a Single, bigger, Pursuit Group of 75?

Thank you!
God made man, but Sam Colt made them equal.
Canoerebel

RE: Combining Regiments to Division (1st MARDIV)

Post by Canoerebel »

Gather all elements (units) of a division in single hex. Make sure they all belong to the same HQ. Then you should have the option (via button) to "Combine Units."

(Sometimes I split a restricted division into A/B/C elemements so that I can buy them out one at a time and send them to the front. On occasion, I've made the mistake of buying one out, sending it to the front, and paying PP to assign it to a local HQ, forgetting that by doing so it's going to later create problems when I wish to recombine the division. At that point, I have to pay the PP cost again.)

You can't combine fighter squadrons to create uber squadrons. At least, as far as I know.
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
Fallschirmjager

Post by Fallschirmjager »

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

You can't combine fighter squadrons to create uber squadrons. At least, as far as I know.

This is one of the more annoying aspects of the game.
The micro managing of dozens of small 9-12 planes bombers groups drives me insane.

I don't mind the 25 fighter squadrons. But combining bigger forces of bombers would be incredibly useful.
HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

All of the sub units must also have the same devices.

If you have allowed one regiment to upgrade devices and not the others you can't combine.

This can bite you in the rear end if one or two regiments upgrade and use all available devices on the pool you won't be able to combine until the pool fills with sufficient devices to upgrade the last regiment.

It's always a good idea to turn off upgrades for sub-units.
Hans

btd64

Post by btd64 »

When you setup your first bomber Sq or fighter Sq, take a look at the buttons in the center of the display. You may be surprised.[;)]....GP
Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester
New Game Development Team

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton
Rusty1961

Post by Rusty1961 »

"Set up"? Could you elaborate?
btd64

Post by btd64 »

ORIGINAL: Rusty1961

"Set up"? Could you elaborate?

Yes. When you select the mission for your bomber sq, you can then hit a button for "set all bombers at this base " or "set all B-18 Bolo's at this base. Thus you can set up 1 squadron, then hit a set all button and every B-xx or bomber on the list is mission ready. It takes time to learn, but most things in this game have a short cut....GP

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester

Admiral DadMan

Post by Admiral DadMan »

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

All of the sub units must also have the same devices.

If you have allowed one regiment to upgrade devices and not the others you can't combine.

This can bite you in the rear end if one or two regiments upgrade and use all available devices on the pool you won't be able to combine until the pool fills with sufficient devices to upgrade the last regiment.

It's always a good idea to turn off upgrades for sub-units.
I love the ability to re-size some USN/USMC squadrons. There are definitely pros and cons to a 64-plane VMF...
Scenario 127: "Scraps of Paper"
(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

CVB Langley:
crsutton

Post by crsutton »

If I recall we could combine squadrons into groups in WITP. Don't know why they changed it. Perhaps they felt it overpowered late war Allied air offensives.
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
Rusty1961

Post by Rusty1961 »

Hello GEn. Patton,

You're not saying that hitting the "set all bombers (or fighters, etc.) at this base" is as good as having one large, 75 plane Pursuit Group, compared to 3 25-plane squadrons, are you?
Fallschirmjager

Post by Fallschirmjager »

Hello GEn. Patton,

You're not saying that hitting the "set all bombers (or fighters, etc.) at this base" is as good as having one large, 75 plane Pursuit Group, compared to 3 25-plane squadrons, are you?

For getting them to do the same thing it is. What is annoying is when your moving them to different bases and all that carpal tunnel.
Rusty1961

Post by Rusty1961 »

ORIGINAL: Fallschirmjager

Hello GEn. Patton,

For getting them to do the same thing it is. What is annoying is when your moving them to different bases and all that carpal tunnel.

They rarely do the same thing. Rarely do I see 3x25 P40 Squadrons roll in on the same target at the same time. Best Commanders, etc.

Better to have one, large group than 3 small.
btd64

Post by btd64 »

ORIGINAL: Fallschirmjager

Hello GEn. Patton,

They rarely do the same thing. Rarely do I see 3x25 P40 Squadrons roll in on the same target at the same time. Best Commanders, etc.

Better to have one, large group than 3 small.

After playing AE for the last 7 years I have come to see a benefit to having units from the same base/s attacking the same target in parts. Hopefully after the first 2 strikes the next couple of strikes wouldn't see any real CAP. Also, I like the flexibility. I don't like having to break down and rebuild. If you bo bo and something upgrades and the pools are low, you're stuck with parts instead of the whole squadron fighting together. Clicking also helps to relax me. Also, if that large group of 75 planes need replacements after getting beat up, the whole unit may be down until moral improves. Now you can go into the editor and do what you want and see how it works out. Your choice....GP

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester

Revthought

Post by Revthought »

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

Gather all elements (units) of a division in single hex. Make sure they all belong to the same HQ. Then you should have the option (via button) to "Combine Units."

(Sometimes I split a restricted division into A/B/C elemements so that I can buy them out one at a time and send them to the front. On occasion, I've made the mistake of buying one out, sending it to the front, and paying PP to assign it to a local HQ, forgetting that by doing so it's going to later create problems when I wish to recombine the division. At that point, I have to pay the PP cost again.)

Also, the units need to have the same TOE in this sense: you cannot combine upgraded fragments with non-upgraded fragments. At least that's my understanding.
Playing at war is a far better vocation than making people fight in them.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”