More System Names

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

Firehazard

More System Names

Post by Firehazard »

I've been lurking here for a while, but joined to share this, in case anyone was interested. I didn't see any mods that added system names, so I compiled this one - and hopefully put it in the right place. Now, my left arm is dubiously brawny - after typing a plethora of names in such a short period. No dirty jokes there.

There are 2168 names including the names that already exist in the game.
These names come from a galaxy far far away, the galaxy we live in, and a few versions of the galaxy we live in that would be significantly more awesome to live in instead.

Unfortunately, though I mainly wanted this to apply to stars, sometimes the names given to other locations in the galaxy can be odd. Locating the Tau Ceti Cloud can be strange to a person who knows that it's a star.

If anyone who uses this finds duplicate names in their galaxy, I would like to know so that I can fix it - I skimmed through and removed as many as I can. Furthermore, if you find something that looks like a typing error from the galaxy far, far away, it's probably just the sneaky developer team and their purposeful misspellings.

Have a chuckle at discovering Odin's Eye Fog.
Attachments
systemNames.txt
(21.01 KiB) Downloaded 88 times
Osito

RE: More System Names

Post by Osito »

Hi,

There have been system name files posted in the past, but they're so old that you probably wouldn't find them nowadays. I posted one here:

tm.asp?m=3322531

but it's somewhat different from yours in that it only contains real star names. Historyis did another one, which is linked in my own post.

Tampa_Gamer posted another one here:

tm.asp?m=3045404

Anyway, I'm sure people will welcome another addition.

Osito
Osito
phi6

Post by phi6 »

Great addition!

Let me know if you want duplicates removed, I wrote a script a few weeks ago for a similar mod that will remove duplicate lines from a text file. I'm happy to parse your version if you'd like.
mordachai

Post by mordachai »

FWIW - Notepad++ has a plug-in or maybe built-in that will sort & remove duplicates.

EDIT: D'oh - maybe N++ has a plug-in that will - but TextPad 8 definitely has it built in. :D
(and running it found no duplicate lines on that file) :D

Firehazard - do you mind if I just drop that in to the next version of my mod?
Firehazard

Post by Firehazard »

I removed as many duplicates as I could find by using the alphabetizer website, but because it doesn't remove spelling errors, I had to search through for those myself. Still, I may have missed a few.

If you want to use this in anything larger, go ahead, but know that you shouldn't find too many obvious stars from fiction - I didn't want any glaring references in the galaxy map so stars like Coruscant Prime, Endor I/II, and Yavin are excluded, for a couple of examples.

Lastly, while I'm here, does anyone know where to find the black hole prefixes and suffixes, and the moon name lists? Unless moons are included in systemNames, I couldn't seem to find them in a quick search.
Hattori Hanzo

Post by Hattori Hanzo »

useful addition [:)]

Return to “Design and Modding”