The Bora Bora problem

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Fallschirmjager

The Bora Bora problem

Post by Fallschirmjager »

This thread title sounds like a Hitchcock movie

Anyways, my issue is with Bora Bora

I am the Allies and I have some units 'stuck' on this island

They are splinter units of a US Army SEP regiment that you get some of and also a coastal AA unit with heavy 90mm AA guns.

I have the rest of these two units on TFs and I am actually wanting to reinforce Bora Bora since it would make a decent base and I also want to combine these units.
The issue is that the TFs simply sail to the island and refuse to unload.

And I am too dumb to figure out why.
My feeling is that since Bora Bora is a 'dot' base that it needs at least a level 1 pier or airfield to turn into a 'real' base
However, neither LCU that is on the island has ANY engineers so that will never happen...
I could simply fly off these units using sea planes.
But there is no aviation support and some of the devices are too big for air cargo.
These US SEP regiment has 4 105mm howitzers [X(] and of course those 90mm AA guns are not light either....

So pretty much, they stuck this unit on an atoll and gave it 105mm guns but neglected to add any engineers....

So my question is, how can I change this? Is there a magic way to turn Bora Bora into a real base so that these TFs will unload?
Or will I have to 'evac' the island?
I want this SEP regiment and coastal AA regiment to be combined since they are useful units in the South Pacific.
I also need these two TFs to be freed up since they are valuable APs and some of my DDs

What can I do here. I feel like I am probably missing something small and dumb.

Thank you
btd64

RE: The Bora Bora problem

Post by btd64 »

There is no port. So any TF that goes there needs to be a Amphibious TF. Bring engineers with you. The other parts of those units show up in March 42 I think. As far as the TF goes, they can only change to Amphibious in port.
Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester
New Game Development Team

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton
btd64

Post by btd64 »

Bringing engineers to the island will allow you to build the base up.

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester

Fallschirmjager

ORIGINAL: General Patton

There is no port. So any TF that goes there needs to be a Amphibious TF. Bring engineers with you. The other parts of those units show up in March 42 I think. As far as the TF goes, they can only change to Amphibious in port.

I think the other part of the Regiment has engineers

If not I will pull one from Pearl.

So, if I have this straight, I need to sail these two TFS back to Pearl, unload and change their stance to combat, then load back up and create an amphib task force?
They should unload then?

I am in May of 1942 now so those units are in play and actually at the island, smiling and waving not able to unload
If I have this correct then I will start this process and go hack to Pearl and redo them and get them to the island.

Bora Bora in the grand sceme of things is not super important but my opponent is rampaging through the South Pacifc so Bora Bora is at the front lines at the moment and would be a nice seaplane/ASW base as well as a place for emergency fuel/repair
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

You can usually get them to load if you drop off a unit with Naval Support (like the Port Service A, B, C, D units present at or near the start of the game; and the USN base support units have Naval Support.
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
Fallschirmjager

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

You can usually get them to load if you drop off a unit with Naval Support (like the Port Service A, B, C, D units present at or near the start of the game; and the USN base support units have Naval Support.

Okay, but I hate to tie up a Naval support unit at an unimportant base.
I have most of them forward deployed to Suva, Noumea and Koumac to assist in unloading there faster until better facilities can be built.
I have the rest of them deployed in Alaska so build my bases there so I can get some forward bases for my subs and search planes so I can get an early warning about enemy TF's leaving northern Japan and also these make great sub bases since the distance to northern Japan is short due to map distortion.
I have no port service units left IIRC.
Would my idea of a combat load and unloading them over the beach work?

These units have 70 prep points towards Bora Bora so it should actually work well.
Or can you do a 'combat' over the beach unload at a friendly base?

Or is this even a friendly base? It is a friendly 'dot'

I am so confused [:(]
Yaab

Post by Yaab »

You could try breaking a USN Naval Command HQ by loading part of it into a small xAK/xAP. Pacific HQ , the one that starts in PH, consists solely of support and naval support squads. Rob it of ca 30 Nav Support squads by cramming them into a small ships and you are golden. Just remember that support squads load first, naval support squads load after them.
btd64

Post by btd64 »

Send the tf's to Tahiti. Unload the LCU's. Change the TF to Amphibious. Change the LCU's to combat mode and reload. Combat load takes up more space than transport mode so keep an eye on it. May need 2 trips depending on how many ships you have. You will want to get a naval support unit there at some point....GP

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester

Macclan5

Post by Macclan5 »

I created an amphibious force of Seabee's and a US Base Force - in mid 42 with supplies and built it up from Los Angeles. Built it to 2/2/2 Port Airfield / defense IIRC.

Nothing I paid PP on. Just some lower endurance xAPs and xAK that were not in any immediate plans. I seemed to have a lot of CBs and Base forces I had not yet earmarked for any location.

The units that spawned there (AA and Port Services ?) with the BF and CBs will eventually be pulled forward once I feel I need back filling bases for my Soloman's / NG campaign.

Nomea I think once I am confident the front has moved far enough to be secure.

However I like the historical flow of this game.

Wikipedia says:

In World War II the United States chose Bora Bora as a South Pacific military supply base, and an oil depot, airstrip, seaplane base, and defensive fortifications were constructed. Known as "Operation Bobcat", it maintained a supply force of nine ships, 20,000 tons of equipment and nearly 7,000 men. Seven artillery guns were set up at strategic points around the island to protect it against potential military attack.

However, the island saw no combat as the American presence on Bora Bora went uncontested over the course of the war. The base was officially closed on June 2, 1946.
A People that values its privileges above it's principles will soon loose both. Dwight D Eisenhower.
Fallschirmjager

Okay I will move both TF back to Pearl Harbor and redo the loading.
I will try and find a free base unit and also move it there.
I will do a combat load and load them over the beaches.

Thanks for the help
HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

ORIGINAL: Macclan5

I created an amphibious force of Seabee's and a US Base Force - in mid 42 with supplies and built it up from Los Angeles. Built it to 2/2/2 Port Airfield / defense IIRC.

Nothing I paid PP on. Just some lower endurance xAPs and xAK that were not in any immediate plans. I seemed to have a lot of CBs and Base forces I had not yet earmarked for any location.

The units that spawned there (AA and Port Services ?) with the BF and CBs will eventually be pulled forward once I feel I need back filling bases for my Soloman's / NG campaign.

Wikipedia says:

In World War II the United States chose Bora Bora as a South Pacific military supply base, and an oil depot, airstrip, seaplane base, and defensive fortifications were constructed. Known as "Operation Bobcat", it maintained a supply force of nine ships, 20,000 tons of equipment and nearly 7,000 men. Seven artillery guns were set up at strategic points around the island to protect it against potential military attack.

However, the island saw no combat as the American presence on Bora Bora went uncontested over the course of the war. The base was officially closed on June 2, 1946.

At least in some scenarios you get a tiny engineer unit that comes in before the Seabees start rolling in that is called the Bobcat unit.
Few players probably ever send it to its historically intended location though.
Hans

HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

ORIGINAL: Fallschirmjager

Thanks for the help

Why go all the way back to Pearl when Tahiti or Pago Pago will work just fine?
Hans

Fallschirmjager

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

ORIGINAL: Fallschirmjager

Thanks for the help

Why go all the way back to Pearl when Tahiti or Pago Pago will work just fine?

I would have to transport a base unit all the way to those locations and then have it link up.
Plus those ports are so small that the loading and unloading would eat up as much travel time as going back to PH.
I have base units at PH that I can use.
Plus I will have to reload supply as well (since Bora Bora has none) and if I use one of those islands I would drain them of supply forcing me to then resupply those island.
PH would require the fewest number of clicks and ships.
I can move both back to PH and unload and then create a single TF with the three units I need.

And this is not really a priority. This is more about combining those units.
I am OCD and hate sub units.
Fallschirmjager

ORIGINAL: HansBolter
ORIGINAL: Macclan5

Wikipedia says:

At least in some scenarios you get a tiny engineer unit that comes in before the Seabees start rolling in that is called the Bobcat unit.
Few players probably ever send it to its historically intended location though.

I always send mine to Noumea
What was the historical place?
btd64

Post by btd64 »

Tahiti will work. By the time your units reach PH and unload, convert to combat mode, reload on your ships and sail to Bora Bora, o lot more time will pass. Go ahead and load a Base force unit and send it. It will work....GP

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester

Zorch

Post by Zorch »

Those soldiers are smart. Who would want to leave Bora Bora for the front lines? [:D]
Admiral DadMan

Post by Admiral DadMan »

I ran a "Pick Up Troops" mission for these guys.
Scenario 127: "Scraps of Paper"
(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

CVB Langley:
dr.hal

Post by dr.hal »

Remember the adage "any port in a storm" even if that storm is of your own making. No need to go all the way back to Pearl.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”