Out of pilot slots

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

SvenNyqvist

Out of pilot slots

Post by SvenNyqvist »

I am at the end of April 1942 and I get the message out of pilot slots for the Dutch (and only for them) when I try to activate new pilots. I still have all Dutch squadrons, some of them with 125 % pilots. Is there an upper limit to how many pilots you can have for a nation and where do I find this limit?
obvert

RE: Out of pilot slots

Post by obvert »

Yep. Not many Dutch pilots around I'm afraid. Nothing you can do about it.

You can have a look at the pilot reserve screen for a glance at each nation's available.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill
jcjordan

Post by jcjordan »

You don't get any new pilots for Dutch units just what's listed in the pools/active units. Most Dutch units get disbanded/lost during the loss of DEI so the pilots will go to the pools to fill out the RAF/RAAF Dutch units that come later in the game. I've never been short of Dutch pilots just a/c for Dutch units.

The real problem is Commonwealth units as there's not a replacement pilot rate for them all the way into 46 so you can never build up a reserve pool for the few units of them there are.
wdolson

Post by wdolson »

The issue isn't any set limits for how many pilots you can have in a nation, some countries are pilot limited because the replacement rate is very low. When you burn through your replacement pilots for the month, you won't get any until next month. The Chinese and Dutch are especially low on pilots. This represents the shortage of suitable candidates in those countries.

China had such a shortage of pilot material during the war, one of their top aces was born and raised in Portland, OR.

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

ORIGINAL: wdolson

The issue isn't any set limits for how many pilots you can have in a nation, some countries are pilot limited because the replacement rate is very low. When you burn through your replacement pilots for the month, you won't get any until next month. The Chinese and Dutch are especially low on pilots. This represents the shortage of suitable candidates in those countries.

China had such a shortage of pilot material during the war, one of their top aces was born and raised in Portland, OR.

Bill

The Russians are worse off than the Chinese because they have so many more squadrons to fill.
Hans

m10bob

Post by m10bob »

Again..OT but still interesting...The Dutch Marines on Java were reconstituted and trained by the USMC at Camp LeJeune!

According to this article that included pilots as well.
They were issued American gear and sent back to war.

http://www.theindoproject.org/ww2/dutch ... mp-lejeune

Attachments
CampLejeun..70686148.jpg
CampLejeun..70686148.jpg (109.69 KiB) Viewed 103 times

Revthought

Post by Revthought »

I understand the Dutch--the Netherlands is occupied, so it's pretty difficult to get new pilots; however, commonwealth countries? We aren't talking a "total war" situation here, but is it really the case that Australia and Canada lacked "suitable candidates" for flight school?

Canada had a population of 11 million and in 1945 the 4th largest Air Force in the world. Australia had roughly 7 million. Both countries were industrialized Western countries. I find it difficult to believe there were not a plethora of "suitable candidate."

And clearly, given the size of the RCAF in 1945, this clearly wasn't the case.
Playing at war is a far better vocation than making people fight in them.
Alfred

Post by Alfred »

ORIGINAL: Revthought

I understand the Dutch--the Netherlands is occupied, so it's pretty difficult to get new pilots; however, commonwealth countries? We aren't talking a "total war" situation here, but is it really the case that Australia and Canada lacked "suitable candidates" for flight school?

Canada had a population of 11 million and in 1945 the 4th largest Air Force in the world. Australia had roughly 7 million. Both countries were industrialized Western countries. I find it difficult to believe there were not a plethora of "suitable candidate."

You have installed the game and at least started to play one of the official campaign length scenarios, right?

It does help to know what is contained in the scenarios rather than jumping to conclusions which are not supported by the facts.

Alfred
Reg

Post by Reg »

Canada had a population of 11 million and in 1945 the 4th largest Air Force in the world.

A contentious claim and not strictly correct.

World's Fourth Largest Air Force?

Note that both the RAAF and RCAF had reached their peak and started to wind down by 1944. This historical fact is reflected in the WITP-AE game reinforcement schedules regardless of the actual strategic situation, something that players should be aware.

Cheers,
Reg.

(One day I will learn to spell - or check before posting....)
Uh oh, Firefox has a spell checker!! What excuse can I use now!!!
wdolson

Post by wdolson »

First the game only represents units and people who were assigned to the Pacific and some restricted pilots in Continental North America. Canada also only sent volunteers overseas and this led to manpower shortages in the army. At the end of the war they violated that pledge and sent some draftees overseas and into combat which angered many back home.

Canada sent very little of their forces to the Pacific. Beyond a Canadian unit in Hong Kong at the start of the war, the Canadians had pilots in RAF squadrons and some Canadian units on RN aircraft carriers, as well as a joint US and Canadian special forces unit in the Aleutians. But of the Allies on the map, Canada sent the smallest percentage of their forces to the Pacific by a wide margin. Most of Canada's forces were in Europe for the duration. The bulk of Canadian pilot training was for pilots destined for RCAF units in Europe and these don't show up in the game. If they did, it would allow the Allied player to use gamey tactics to fill out Canadian units more than they could have in the real war.

Australia was also heavily committed against Germany and Italy when the war in the Pacific began and the Australians were very nervous because their forces at home were so thin. Australia really did have virtually no fighters at the start of the war and had to wait for American lend lease P-40s before they could deploy any squadrons to protect the Solomons. Australia could raise more pilots than represented in the game, but they needed to keep a force of RAAF units going in Europe and the Med and those pilots are not represented in the game.

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
JeffroK

Post by JeffroK »

Is the question, What do the "Commonwealth" pilots represent?
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum
btd64

Post by btd64 »

ORIGINAL: wdolson

First the game only represents units and people who were assigned to the Pacific and some restricted pilots in Continental North America. Canada also only sent volunteers overseas and this led to manpower shortages in the army. At the end of the war they violated that pledge and sent some draftees overseas and into combat which angered many back home.

Canada sent very little of their forces to the Pacific. Beyond a Canadian unit in Hong Kong at the start of the war, the Canadians had pilots in RAF squadrons and some Canadian units on RN aircraft carriers, as well as a joint US and Canadian special forces unit in the Aleutians. But of the Allies on the map, Canada sent the smallest percentage of their forces to the Pacific by a wide margin. Most of Canada's forces were in Europe for the duration. The bulk of Canadian pilot training was for pilots destined for RCAF units in Europe and these don't show up in the game. If they did, it would allow the Allied player to use gamey tactics to fill out Canadian units more than they could have in the real war.

Australia was also heavily committed against Germany and Italy when the war in the Pacific began and the Australians were very nervous because their forces at home were so thin. Australia really did have virtually no fighters at the start of the war and had to wait for American lend lease P-40s before they could deploy any squadrons to protect the Solomons. Australia could raise more pilots than represented in the game, but they needed to keep a force of RAAF units going in Europe and the Med and those pilots are not represented in the game.

Bill

Bill, very well put....GP
Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester
New Game Development Team

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton
BillBrown

Post by BillBrown »

ORIGINAL: JeffK

A guess would be those Commonwealth countries not directly represented.
South Africa, Rhodesia, Kenya come to mind.
Revthought

Post by Revthought »

ORIGINAL: Alfred

You have installed the game and at least started to play one of the official campaign length scenarios, right?

It does help to know what is contained in the scenarios rather than jumping to conclusions which are not supported by the facts.

Alfred
ontained in the scenarios rather than jumping to conclusions which are not supported by the facts.

I was responding not to anything related to game play, but the comment that "commonwealth countries were short on 'suitable pilot candidates.'"

Also, British/Canadian/Australian pilot replacements could be higher, but hey, that's not what I was specifically referring to.

I appreciate the condescending attitude though, real helpful. It gives such a great impression of yourself, and the community.
Playing at war is a far better vocation than making people fight in them.
jcjordan

Post by jcjordan »

ORIGINAL: BillBrown

ORIGINAL: JeffK

A guess would be those Commonwealth countries not directly represented.
South Africa, Rhodesia, Kenya come to mind.

That's what I've always thought since as far as infantry units in the game the W & E African div/brigades are Commonwealth. I really think as far as the RAF/FAA units, it should technically all be Commonwealth since all the RAF/FAA units not only had British pilots but NZ/Can/Aust etc only difference between them & any in the RAAF/RNZAF were those in the RAF volunteered for overseas duty like previously mentioned. If I could, I'd change the program to make the British pilots to Commonwealth & FAA to actual ranks used in FAA & RM which made up the FAA. I can change British to be CW & make pilots for them (I plan on it in my custom scenario)but can't do much about FAA

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”