Pirate raids vs Pirate attack

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

Chris21wen

Pirate raids vs Pirate attack

Post by Chris21wen »

I equipped my destroyers with both Assault pods and Troop compartments. I was expecting the troops to back up the assault pods during a raid. This doesn't happened. What does happen is Assault pods are used in a raid and troops are used in an attack. What make the situation worse is if you attack while a raid is in progress the raiders disappear?? On the other hand, if you attack first then land a raid while that attack is in progress you get everything.

One other thing I noticed while testing this is a pirate attack will target any defensive facilities on the planet and possible destroy them if it can, including your own???? This explains why I got a message that 'my pirate base had been destroyed' earlier in my game, I must have attacked instead of raiding.

This leads me to something slightly off the subject but why do you need too, or even can, raid a planet were you have a base. Surely the base should automatically syphon money and resources.
NephilimNexus

RE: Pirate raids vs Pirate attack

Post by NephilimNexus »

Raiders and ground troops are two separate things that should never interact unless you want to bug the game into a CTD.

Any of your raiders that are launched at a planet while the AI is attacking your base will join the attackers/enemy instead of helping the defenders/you. This is a bug that has existed from the start and will never be fixed.

Raiders raise influence. They do not help conquer planets. Only ground troops can conquer planets. Ground troops cannot raid. If you land ground troops then it's a conquest. If you land raiders it's a raid. If you land raiders after ground troops you'll probably crash the game.
Hattori Hanzo

Post by Hattori Hanzo »

unless you want to bug the game into a CTD.

what do you mean with "CTD" ??? [&:]
HerpInYourDerp

Post by HerpInYourDerp »

crash to desktop
Hattori Hanzo

Post by Hattori Hanzo »

thank you "HIYD", the acronyms in another language are always a nightmare for me.. [8D]
Chris21wen

Post by Chris21wen »

ORIGINAL: NephilimNexus

Raiders and ground troops are two separate things that should never interact unless you want to bug the game into a CTD.

Any of your raiders that are launched at a planet while the AI is attacking your base will join the attackers/enemy instead of helping the defenders/you. This is a bug that has existed from the start and will never be fixed.

Raiders raise influence. They do not help conquer planets. Only ground troops can conquer planets. Ground troops cannot raid. If you land ground troops then it's a conquest. If you land raiders it's a raid. If you land raiders after ground troops you'll probably crash the game.

Yes I found all that out except I've never had a crash. I posted to clarify the situation for others.
NephilimNexus

Post by NephilimNexus »

Well, here's a few ways to bug into CTD:

1) Try to launch raiders on a world after you've landed ground troops, with the battle ongoing. Most of the time it won't let you do it, but if it does, crunch.

2) Have a planet try to overthrow your Criminal Network while it's still being built, and have it finish building while the battle is still ongoing (thus reverting control of the planet to you). Immediate CTD, 100% of the time.

3) Having raiders from multiple pirate factions attacking at the same time can crash the game.

4) Landing ground troops to invade a planet while you still have raiders in an ongoing battle has a good chance of CTD.

As I've said elsewhere, I get the impression that they never really meant for pirates to be a playable faction option. I think they just saw that NPCs "more or less worked" and flipped a "can be player" switch someplace & called it good. Only afterward did it come to light that hidden NPC mechanics do not necessarily translate into good PC mechanics, especially when most of those mechanics are just cut-outs & imposters. A few bugs have been fixed over time, but the majority still remain and since patching has stopped we're just stuck with them.
Chris21wen

Post by Chris21wen »

ORIGINAL: NephilimNexus

Well, here's a few ways to bug into CTD:

1) Try to launch raiders on a world after you've landed ground troops, with the battle ongoing. Most of the time it won't let you do it, but if it does, crunch.

2) Have a planet try to overthrow your Criminal Network while it's still being built, and have it finish building while the battle is still ongoing (thus reverting control of the planet to you). Immediate CTD, 100% of the time.

3) Having raiders from multiple pirate factions attacking at the same time can crash the game.

4) Landing ground troops to invade a planet while you still have raiders in an ongoing battle has a good chance of CTD.

As I've said elsewhere, I get the impression that they never really meant for pirates to be a playable faction option. I think they just saw that NPCs "more or less worked" and flipped a "can be player" switch someplace & called it good. Only afterward did it come to light that hidden NPC mechanics do not necessarily translate into good PC mechanics, especially when most of those mechanics are just cut-outs & imposters. A few bugs have been fixed over time, but the majority still remain and since patching has stopped we're just stuck with them.

With the exception of 2 (I can't remember) I've never had a crash, in fact I've had few crashes and never ones that are consistent.

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”