Possible bug: double OBA fire

Post bug reports and ask for game support here.

Moderators: Paullus, Peter Fisla

UP844

Possible bug: double OBA fire

Post by UP844 »

I was testing a scenario with two radios and two OBA modules (70mm MTR and 80mm).

I clicked on the intended target and the module selection window appeared: I selected the 70mm Mortar, since I know I must attack a fortified building later in the scenario.

Two FFE markers appeared on the map, however, as well as two "OBA: 70mm MTR will Target HEX [x,y]" in the lower right window [&:], each one of them matching the co-ordinates of one of the two target hexes. No message mentioning the 80mm OBA (radio contact, battery access) ever appeared in the lower right window.

When OBA fire fell, one of the two FFE made mortar sounds, the other made artillery sounds (so I think that the 80mm module has also been called).

When I tried to use the other radio, I get a message "No OBA available".

P.S. Peter, I know I am a terrible pain in you-know-what with all these "possible bug reports" and I apologise for annoying you, but I really love this game and I would like to see as many bugs as possible KIA [:D].

Attachments
double_arty.jpg
double_arty.jpg (1 MiB) Viewed 131 times
Chasing Germans in the moonlight is no mean sport

Siegfried Sassoon

Long Range Fire (A7.22)........1/2 FP
Peter Fisla

RE: Possible bug: double OBA fire

Post by Peter Fisla »

UP844, did you read the 9.4 Off-board artillery - page - 94 of the manual that explains how the OBA works?

When an OBA is on a mission assigned by a Radio...that Radio not available since the OBA associated with the radio is performing its mission.

A Radio can only be associated with only one OBA, a radio cannot be re-assigned to another OBA for the duration of a scenario/CG.
UP844

Post by UP844 »

Yes, I read the manual, but the unavailability of the second radio is a direct consequence (I think) of what happens when I call the OBA with the first.

Unfortunately, I didn't scroll the lower right box before taking the screenshot [:(]. Otherwise I would have been able to show the two messages appearing, i.e. "OBA 70mm MTR will target hex [26,12]" and "OBA 70mm MTR will target hex [24,11]".

When OBA fire fell - in the subsequent British Defensive Segment - the one in [26,12] made the mortar sound (click-boom), while the one in [24,11] made the artillery sound (whoosh-boom).

Apparently, both OBA modules (the 70mm MTR and the 80mm) were fired on the same target, even if I selected the 70mm MTR when requested.

The "No OBA available" message appeared some turns later, well after the end of the OBA bombardment shown in the screenshot, and no OBA fire was in progress at that time.

I will try to provide a saved game (an auto-save feature would be handy for such purposes [;)])

Siegfried Sassoon

UP844

Post by UP844 »

I tried to reproduce the double OBA issue: unfortunately, the bugs did not occur in 20+ tests I made :(. Everything went exactly as intended.

The screenshot above, however, clearly shows that, sometimes, two OBA are called instead of one :(. I will keep an eye on OBA fire and I hope to be able to produce some better evidence.

Siegfried Sassoon

Peter Fisla

Post by Peter Fisla »

Ok, cool thanks ;)
Suul

Post by Suul »

This odd OBA happened to me several times. I think I caught the game just as it happened.

The radio on the left in turn 1 prep fire fired the 80 mtr at the Germans on the left.

I waited for it drop 2 and then drop 1, both OBA attacks occurred.

Next fire for the radio on the left, message was 80 mtr available, targeted German on the left again, but then both targets appeared.

Both OBAs attacked.

Attachments
s10.jpg
s10.jpg (169.19 KiB) Viewed 131 times
Suul

Post by Suul »

The radio on the right was never used.

Attachments
s11.jpg
s11.jpg (151.25 KiB) Viewed 131 times
Suul

Post by Suul »

Here are two saved games of when the two OBA targets appeared, and just as the first round was resolved, hope it helps.

John
Attachments
OddOBA.zip
(73.06 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Peter Fisla

Post by Peter Fisla »

Hi Suul,

Can you tell me exactly how you were able to duplicate the issue please ?

Thanks

Peter
Suul

Post by Suul »

I opened the editor, created a basic scenario, two leaders, two radios, 6 German squads, set oba 1 to 80 mtr, oba 2 to 150. Saved. Ran in game on normal and default settings, Russians as human and Germans on computer. In turn 1 prep fired the radio on the left German stack. The rest is as described above.

I tried the scenario again, It took about 25 tries to get a successful 80 mtr OBA attack to occur, def fire and then prep fire OBA attacks occur, next Def fire I used the same radio but this time battery access failed, but notice the 80 OBA is listed twice.

Attachments
s13.jpg
s13.jpg (354.79 KiB) Viewed 131 times
Suul

Post by Suul »

Here is another save just before the double access fail.

I too love the game and am glad to help.
Attachments
OddOBAtry2.zip
(36.65 KiB) Downloaded 1 time
Peter Fisla

Post by Peter Fisla »

Thank you Suul, I will look into it :)
baloo7777

Post by baloo7777 »

Hi Peter,

Just finished playing 006 - Battle of the Lastekodumägi, and I had a similar experience. Playing the RUS vs GER AI. called in with the first radio (after several tries) and was asked to select 120mm or 150mm, and took 150mm, and was confused because 2 artillery target crosshairs appeared about 6 hexes apart, but in line of sight. The 2nd radio was OOC that turn. the next turn the artillery fired for effect and I listened to two complete cycles (still can't see it as screen locks- another thread). On the 5th turn both radios were available, so I tried calling in with the radio I hadn't used yet to get the 120mm, bt got a message 'No OBA Available'. I thought that was WAD until I read this thread. No save game except for couple turns from end as I save as I go.
JRR
Peter Fisla

Post by Peter Fisla »

Hmm guys, I'm sorry I still can't figure out how to replicate this bug...is this something that happens at Random or is it something that if I can get detail steps I can replicate this on my own?

I just created a new scenarios with 2 leaders each with one Radio, then i assigned two different OBAs and when I request for OBA with one Radio only (assuming the Access was given etc) I only ever see one OBA target..hmmm

Thanks!
baloo7777

Post by baloo7777 »

I seem to have several things that happen sometimes that I haven't seen anyone else here mention.For instance, when the AI artillery fires for effect, my screen stays stuck wherever it starts that phase on, and I can hear the rounds going off, but cannot see them or scroll. Also the AI on very hard takes a long, long time with each phase, and on many scenarios, AFV replaces with a wreck, then the AI fires and I hear the sound, or Infantry squad I am moving disappears, then I see and hear AI fire. I am starting to wonder if I need to re-download and reinstall the game? Or could the mod I'm using have issues (however no one else is complaining, so it has to be something else)? I may have to replace the original file and use the un-modded graphics?
JRR
UP844

Post by UP844 »

As Suul wrote above, it took 25 attempts before seeing a double OBA fire. When I opened the thread I tried to make a save game file (I know it would be useful), by playing about twenty times the same scenario, but OBA worked smoothly in all of them [:(].

Apparently, the issue is somewhat tied to the OBA module selection: sometimes (not very often), the second module is also "assigned" to the first radio, and fires together with the "official" one (that is the one listed near the radio line); the second radio gets the "No available OBA module message".

At least as far as I am concerned, I just called a single OBA on a target hex and both modules fired in my subsequent Fire Phase. The only indication that something is wrong is the appearance of two lines (instead of one) stating "XXmm OBA will fire on [x,y]" (with different x and y values) and of two markers on the map.

@baloo7777:
I also have the same issues, you are not the only one! The frozen screen during artillery fire should be included in the next patch. As for seeing the effect first and the graphics later, this is not a prerogative of OBA: sometimes it also occurs with direct fire.

Siegfried Sassoon

baloo7777

Post by baloo7777 »

UP844:

@baloo7777:
I also have the same issues, you are not the only one! The frozen screen during artillery fire should be included in the next patch. As for seeing the effect first and the graphics later, this is not a prerogative of OBA: sometimes it also occurs with direct fire.
[/quote]

Thanks so much UP844!!! It is during direct fire! You made my day, as I feared I would have to download a clean version and test each mod and so many scenarios before I would add them...a daunting task.
JRR
Gerry4321

006 - Battle of the Lastekodumägi

Post by Gerry4321 »

Something definitely wrong with artillery in this scenario. In some later turns I had no idea which artillery was even firing. And it was coming in every turn it seemed.

I stopped calling it in as you can only called it on visible enemy units and I am too close to their lines right now so I have to worry about drift.

Please allow it to be called in on empty hexes in the future Peter.
Peter Fisla

RE: 006 - Battle of the Lastekodumägi

Post by Peter Fisla »

ORIGINAL: Gerry
Please allow it to be called in on empty hexes in the future Peter.

Sorry, I can't do that because AI doesn't target empty hexes either, this would give human player an advantage over the AI.
Gerry4321

RE: 006 - Battle of the Lastekodumägi

Post by Gerry4321 »

But let the AI do the same thing. For example if the AI is attacking it can target the building hexes in the town that are victory locations before the units arrive near there. Just like we could do.

Right now OBA is only good early on as later in a scenario as you close with the enemy it is too dangerous to use it because of the drift.

Could you add something to the display indicating which player's OBA is firing. If both are firing it is hard to tell which is which (or maybe I missed it).

Also the display does not move to the location of the targeted hexes so the only way you know if someone is hit is if you read the display in the bottom right. You cannot see the effects on the map.

Thanks.

Return to “Tech Support”