repair bug or normal???

Post bug reports and ask for help with other issues here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

jcjordan

repair bug or normal???

Post by jcjordan »

Not sure if this is a bug or not but posting to see if there's a valid reason situation occurred or not before I post as bug. I had 2 AM type ships repairing major float/eng damage due to collision between the 2 at fully expanded Townsville using a repair ship. They were happily going along for several days/a week using that ship when all of a sudden after 1 recent turn they were unable to repair it yet no other ships hit port/left port to take their place etc in the repair queue. Am I missing something, something else to check on?? When the ships hit Townville, it showed that I could fully repair them using repair ship there so I set them to that (normal & pierside said it was only able to repair minor damage). I can send them to say Brisbane or Sydney for repair but just trying to figure out if something is wrong or not???
btd64

RE: repair bug or normal???

Post by btd64 »

If it's flotation damage of the major type, you will need a ship yard. If the damage is major and 5 or less points, repair ships will do it. I think what you saw is the ship repairing the non-major damage and stopping when those repairs were complete, leaving the major damage. Posting a screen shot would be very helpful....GP
Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester
New Game Development Team

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton
jcjordan

Post by jcjordan »

That's the first thing that came to mind that it was able to only repair minor damage but that's the strange thing. On the turn they hit port w/ all the damage, when I chose which form of repair to use, it said I could use repair ship mode (normal & pierside only could repair minor) to repair both the minor & major for float & engine fully though it would take a few wks to do so & it was happily doing so for a few days then all of a sudden several turns later when I was looking at the full ships in repair list & they were red overnight (I check the ships in repair listing daily from ship menu as part of my anal retentive turn procedures). I'm not sure I've got a before & after turn at this point with the way I save my games. It's minor & I don't mind sending them down to Brisbane/Sydney but just trying to see if I'm missing something here before calling a bug & then trying to get a before/after to show it for Michael. I'm of the thought I'm missing something that changed but don't know what.

As an aside, the amount of damage both suffered in colliding w/ each other was the most massive I've ever seen in the game given that they were the same sized vessels. It must've been one h*** of a collision & the captains/crews were so bored w/ routine patrolling that they decided to play a game of chicken on the sea & neither blinked.
jcjordan

Post by jcjordan »

Ok stranger pic occurring now [&:]. When it was no longer able to repair using repair ship, I put it to normal & waited for both ships to become available & it now says it's able to fully repair in 8-9 days all the major & minor damage (no special character next to number of days to delineate unable to repair)now that both are available??? I'll have a start save & a later save to see what it shows as they repair to see if this is a flip side to what originally occurred that I've no longer a before/after snapshot of
btd64

Post by btd64 »

Post a screen shot....GP
Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester
New Game Development Team

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: jcjordan

Ok stranger pic occurring now [&:]. When it was no longer able to repair using repair ship, I put it to normal & waited for both ships to become available & it now says it's able to fully repair in 8-9 days all the major & minor damage (no special character next to number of days to delineate unable to repair)now that both are available??? I'll have a start save & a later save to see what it shows as they repair to see if this is a flip side to what originally occurred that I've no longer a before/after snapshot of
Sounds like you have a destroyed device on the ship. These do not affect the initial assessment of the damage and estimate of the repair time that you are seeing. Only when the ship is in repair mode does the program assess the destroyed devices and whether they can be repaired at the port or not. The red text and # sign indicate that the repair is not possible, but the rest of the damage on the ship can be repaired. Search for Alfred's treatise on ship repair in the main forum or the War Room - well worth reading.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

I have seen (small) ships be given an estimate that says they can repair fully at a particular base with a large enough port, like Townsville (which can reach the requisite size 7 to conduct up to 5 points of major float and engine damage). I think this is an error in the display. For example, I've seen SC, PC, and LCT type ships with Sys 17, Float 15(15), Engine 30(10) be given a repair estimate of "15" with no # after it to signify that it won't be able to fully repair at that location and in that mode. Obviously, the 15 points of major float and 10 points of major engine can't be fixed without a shipyard, but the interface was implying to me that it could be.

This was in the second-most recent beta. I just ignore it - it never seems to come up for the larger ships that I actually care about.
jcjordan

Post by jcjordan »

Lokasenna - that's probably what I'm seeing as it's in using the Jan beta update. It's no real biggie in this case but just had me wondering if it might be a bug or not so if it ever hit a big capital ship
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

Here's an example. I just took this ship out of a TF this turn. The port is size 9, and has a large shipyard. But note that it says the PC will repair fully no matter what mode it's in. Clearly a display bug. Next turn it might be accurate.

Attachments
SmallShip..pairBug.jpg
SmallShip..pairBug.jpg (119.99 KiB) Viewed 43 times
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

Very interesting Lokasenna. Never saw anything like that in my games. Are you running a recent Beta?

EDIT: Scrub the question - BillBrown's reference answers it for me.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
BillBrown

Post by BillBrown »

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

Here's an example. I just took this ship out of a TF this turn. The port is size 9, and has a large shipyard. But note that it says the PC will repair fully no matter what mode it's in. Clearly a display bug. Next turn it might be accurate.

I think you should read section 14.2.1.4 of the manual. It will tell you all you need to know about this
particular ship repair. The display is completely right and accurate.
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

ORIGINAL: BillBrown

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

I think you should read section 14.2.1.4 of the manual. It will tell you all you need to know about this
particular ship repair. The display is completely right and accurate.

Just checked it. This situation rarely comes up. Cool to know that a size 8 port can just repair that ship like it's no big deal... because it really isn't, it's just a patrol craft.

Return to “Tech Support”