Liberation?

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

Perelandra67

Liberation?

Post by Perelandra67 »

my first time through barbarossa and I'm wondering the effects of liberating/not liberating Lithuania as the german player?
"Amateurs study tactics; professionals study logistics."
Centuur

RE: Liberation?

Post by Centuur »

Since there are no Lithuanian units, there is only a minor side effect for Germany.

That is that Lithuania can't become the home country of a German government in exile.

That is a very, very tiny disadvantage for Germany... [;)]

Peter
Perelandra67

Post by Perelandra67 »

thank you.
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

You should liberate it, otherwise its capital will not be a secondary supply source.
Paul
Joseignacio

Post by Joseignacio »

Yep, I was going to point that out. It's not a Main advantage, but it can have it's importance both "going" and "coming back" from Russia.
Centuur

Post by Centuur »

Totally forgot about that one...
Peter
Perelandra67

Post by Perelandra67 »

very good point. so "liberated" equals "controlled/conquered?"
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

ORIGINAL: Perelandra67

very good point. so "liberated" equals "controlled/conquered?"
"controlled/aligned" is a better description

Usually when you liberate a country, that country also gets back half its force pool of units but of course Lithuania has none. Unlike initial alignment where you get a choice, you must add these units (if any) to your force pool, but most often if you don't want to build pre-war crappy units, you can scrap any with the right dates on the back in order to avoid doing so.
Paul
Joseignacio

Post by Joseignacio »

Parelandra, I couldn't say what exactly but I would say there are more differences in the treatment of both cases.

"Liberated" requires having been conquered and controlled first, and be controlled now by the opposite side. So even conceptually the liberated need to be controlled but controlled not always mean liberated. Conquered is opposite to Liberated.
Perelandra67

Post by Perelandra67 »

So if I don't liberate Lithuania as the Axis player, then Lithuania becomes a sovereign state and gets control of its own army (though it has none)? And I could not use its capital as a supply source?

I will research more into the terminology of liberated, aligned and controlled as I am uncertain the effects of each. Obviously Lithuania is not a very important example, but I'm guessing I need to understand the effects of all this for more important situations.
Centuur

Post by Centuur »

Lithuania stays conquered (by the side who controls it's capital) if you don't liberate it...
Peter
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

It is neither conquered nor liberated. The capital hex is simply controlled by a power on the other side from the power that conquered it. This is the precise reason why the capital does not become a secondary supply source for that power in the event it chooses not to liberate the country.

Paul
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

ORIGINAL: Perelandra67

So if I don't liberate Lithuania as the Axis player, then Lithuania becomes a sovereign state and gets control of its own army (though it has none)? And I could not use its capital as a supply source?

I will research more into the terminology of liberated, aligned and controlled as I am uncertain the effects of each. Obviously Lithuania is not a very important example, but I'm guessing I need to understand the effects of all this for more important situations.
No. Lithuania if liberated becomes a sovereign state aligned with its liberator and would get back some of its army in that case if indeed it had an army to begin with.

If you do not liberate some countries when you are in a position to do so, their partisans become "red" partisans (as opposed to the rule book definition of a "green" partisan, nothing to do with politics) that if generated, act against the country that could liberate them. Again though, in the case of Lithuania, it never generates partisans.

There is simply no good reason not to liberate it.
Paul
Perelandra67

Post by Perelandra67 »

thank you

Return to “World in Flames”