Have never played this game ever!!!

Fury Games has now signed with Matrix Games, and we are working together on the next Strategic Command. Will use the Slitherine PBEM++ server for asynchronous multi-player.

Moderators: MOD_Strategic_Command_3, Fury Software

MrsWargamer

RE: Have never played this game ever!!!

Post by MrsWargamer »

Considering the state of the internet then and what is ordinary today, a person you know here on site can likely send you the file just as easily if not faster.

But no one here is going to tell you the game is 'no good'.

You can get a no DRM purchase from Gog.com
https://www.gog.com/game/strategic_comm ... an_theater

You will likely waste 10 bucks on a dozen things this week. This wouldn't be one of them.
Yes it likes Windows 8.1 and 10 is supposed to be even nicer.

This is the demo from Battlefront themselves. Note the precise spelling of the name of the game.
It's called Strategic Command European Theatre. Not SC1
http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?op ... Itemid=318

Both links though appear 'questionable'.

In the end, you either want a game that created a lot of fans, or you don't.
Most of the SC1 fans were not overtly enthused SC2 fans.
There's a reason Hubert is here making SC3.
Wargame, 05% of the time.
Play with Barbies 05% of the time.
Play with Legos 10% of the time.
Build models 20% of the time
Shopping 60% of the time.
Exlains why I buy em more than I play em.
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

I do know someone that is into this game, and I plan to grill him about it upon our next meeting. Meanwhile, I'm poking around the internet looking for something more modern than Avalon Hill's Third Reich and Three-Sixty's High Command. My first try was Commander - Europe at War. I wouldn't call it a waste of money as I spent a month with it, but ultimately it fails. Additionally it taught me the lesson of not buying before seeing a demo [although a demo of CEaW would probably not have revealed its serious flaws]. Next I looked into Hearts of Iron 3. Yes it is far too complex, however it has a decent computer assignment option and computer opponent. I have the demo but I have some concerns, so now I am researching Strategic Command. No, I'm not interested in what game has a lot of fans. Justin Beeber is quite popular, he's not going to see even a Canadian nickle from me.

Does this game have resource sites, such as Oil and Minerals ?
MrsWargamer

Post by MrsWargamer »

Hmmm, if you didn't care for CEAW, then I can safely say SC1 will not accomplish your goals.

Potentially SC3 will grab you, but you like the rest of us will have to wait to confirm that.
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

Ok, thanks for the great advice, it is very much appreciated !

And ... Happy New Year everybody !! [Opening Day]
SeaMonkey

Post by SeaMonkey »

Oil = 3xMPP, Mines = 2xMPP, Capitols & Cities = MPP(being Military Production Points) the basis to win the game.

Too bad about the demos, the SC1 demo, back in 2001(or was it 2002) is what "hooked" me. If you want the ATR or HC experience, you'll not be disappointed(99% probability).

Rhombi...Tiles...hexes, etc., does it really matter, it's just a foundation for movement, but I understand some people can not project space relationship effectively when faced with some amount of misproportion.

As far as PtoP security, always a way to overcome, nothing is "unhackable", nor will it "ever" be.

Unfortunately this World is imperfect(perfection is an "opinion"). Look with severe scrutinization(or rationalization), and you'll find it and it will defeat your "enjoyment" level, up to you.

One thing further, of all the games I've played, SC is probably the most stable, without a multitude of idiosyncracies(IMO) and "gamebreakers", almost flawless, (qualifier) but I accept this world's reality.
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

Oil = 3xMPP, Mines = 2xMPP, Capitols & Cities = MPP(being Military Production Points) the basis to win the game.
Nice.
If you want the ATR or HC experience, you'll not be disappointed(99% probability).
Nice.
SC is probably the most stable
Nice
Rhombi...Tiles...hexes, etc., does it really matter
Doesn't matter to me. The maps are a bit disturbing, the newer pastel bland painted ones. They just aren't the same feel as the old boardgames for an old guy. Its not a sale killer, though. Its just an annoyance. The screenies of the 3R Mod look great.
Look with severe scrutinization(or rationalization), and you'll find it
I'm not, I'm enjoying the opportunities that progress presents. I was very excited when I purchased CEaW, but the more I played it the more I realized that it wasn't what I was looking for. I mean, if we consider 3R from 1994 and HC from 1992, we can certainly expect a little more complexity these days. I also like to throw in some more realism, which is one great point about CEaW in that the player can name the units. I'm not sure but I have an opinion that this could be done more often in games, as units themselves do or can use internal numbers for identification and the unit names are an accessory.
SeaMonkey

Post by SeaMonkey »

Actually, the guy that produced CEaW started with SC1(Zappsweden)but wanted something more, something which he could beat Terif with.[:D]

As far as the units, you can customize to a certain extent. Names, yes, but the generic remains, like Panzer Lehr Tank Group(tank group being the generic).

Also the upgrades as anti air, anti-tank, infantry weapons, naval tech, ground attack, fighter tech, motorization, etc. etc. allows you to customize the units with "attachments" or a defined technology level you have achieved through research.

There is diplomacy also, through MPP investment, to somewhat limit your allies and enemies belligerency levels(war entry).

The game is not as simple as it once was, but retains the "rocks, paper, scissors" concept and so rides the fence between beer & pretzels and wine & cheese.[:'(]

There are still some things that need to be addressed for a more realistic approach but they do not hinder playability, which to the SC2 extent is extraordinary. Just imagine what SC3 will be after 15 years of adjustments, ever play ToAW?[8D]
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

Panzer Lehr Tank Group
Not really historical, I'd rather see the icon determine what type of unit it is, but that is just my personal opinion.
allows you to customize the units
There is diplomacy also
Interesting and scary at the same time.
ever play ToAW

The Operational Art of War ? Yes, I've played that one. I'm looking forward to the release of this scenario :

Attachments
EC391.jpg
EC391.jpg (164.69 KiB) Viewed 69 times
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

In my opinion "Making History" I and II broke the mold for a world War 2 grand campaign game. It has everything and plenty of "Whatif's" if you like those sort of things. Buying a dry rerun of the same thing over and over just got boring until I played Making History I. I could play as Brazil and get into the war. Now, do that in your regular old tried and true wargames. Plus, it's turn based and is a lot like Hearts of Iron in real time. I much prefer turn based so that was a delight as well.

Don't wait for SC3 just pickup a copy of Making History I or II. You'll be glad you did. [:D]
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

Thanks but MH2 doesn't have the type of graphics that appeal to me.

Attachments
MHII.jpg
MHII.jpg (32.38 KiB) Viewed 68 times
MrsWargamer

Post by MrsWargamer »

I'm guessing you are not a fan of Gary's game World at War A World Divided either.
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

I never played it but I expect it is good. With a forum name like schwere-Panzer-Abteilung.653 you might expect that I enjoy a little more historical detail though, eh ? Plus I am looking for something to replace 3R and High Command, so I'm looking for specific things and World at War a World Divided doesn't look to be it. Thanks for the suggestion though !

Return to “Strategic Command WWII War in Europe”