ALT Icon Colors

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario design, art and sound modding and the game editor for WITP Admiral's Edition.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Peever

ALT Icon Colors

Post by Peever »

I've been messing around with the icon files over the past few days and thought I would share. I made changes to most of the nations map icons with the big changes with the US and Japan.

Armies and fleets are now different colors for these nations. For Japan fleets are now white and blue for US. Armies are now olive for Japan but unchanged for US. Unique naval units are different (Naval HQ's for example). I would love to have army and naval ground forces be different colors but that can't happen. Maybe in WitP 2 [:'(].

I also changed the Indian and Canadian icons to make them very easy to tell apart. The Dutch were changed to orange and New Zealand to teal because I wanted their blue for the US navy. I have also included a purple version of China...because...I was bored.

The map type you use may have an impact on how these look or blend in/stick out. Personally I use the "Cloudy" version of Yamato Damashii by ChemKid.

These icons can be used on any map or mod and do not require a restart of your game if you want to test them. Each nation is in their own folder ready to go so you can pick and chose what you want. Just copy and paste the files into the main "ART" directory (After backing up your originals of course).

Dropbox link:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/539 ... 0Icons.zip

US & Japan Sample

Japan sample, showing Naval HQ different from other types

GB & Indian Troops

Canadian

Purple China. Seems strange to me. Don't think I'll use it personally, but we have this color available...maybe someone can think of a neat use for it.

"Sergeant the Spanish bullet isn't made that will kill me," Bucky O'Neil seconds before receiving a fatal shot to the head at the battle of San Juan Hill.
Yaab

RE: ALT Icon Colors

Post by Yaab »

Great set!

I have installed your icon set for Indian naionality. While LCUs get the new colour, all industry icons in India still show the stock Commonwealth color, even though all bases in India show Indian natioanlity. The stock file was overwritten with your file. What gives?
Peever

Post by Peever »

Short answer: Those resources may be in India but they belong to the British. [;)]

Real answer:

Seems like a database issue. The Indian bases report to a chain of command that has a "British" nationality in the database. After creating a fictional Indian HQ I was able to change the resources for Bombay and even able to change the Flag in the base menu to the India flag I found on "Button5" in the art folder. However changing the nationality in the database did not change the icon on the map. Not sure how to change that, maybe that information is stored in the "pwhexe.dat" file or some other file. I don't know how to change those files.

Here is a screenshot of what I was able to change:

So it is possible to change the industry icons in India to match the Indian icon color but it requires making changes in the scenario database. For now we'll have to make do with the Indian resources being under British color scheme.
"Sergeant the Spanish bullet isn't made that will kill me," Bucky O'Neil seconds before receiving a fatal shot to the head at the battle of San Juan Hill.
Yaab

Post by Yaab »

Thanks for the explanation.

Return to “Scenario Design and Modding”