A Tactical question

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

alexvand

A Tactical question

Post by alexvand »

Take a look at the picture below. There's a CW fleet in Copenhagen which includes their only AMphib currently on the map. (There's more on the spiral and the US has a bunch also.)

The question is this: Should the Germans port strike the fleet in Copenhagen or should they put their NAVs in the Baltic. (Note the CW units in Finland trying to take Finland out of the war.)

Keep in mind that it is highly unlikely that the Germans will be able to take a Naval or Air at all. The Russians are in Poland and Romania and pushing hard. The Germans have initiative and expect significant CW naval assets to sail into the Baltic, but the CW has no fighters in range of the Baltic just yet. Although that might change very quickly.

Attachments
Balticsea..question.gif
Balticsea..question.gif (692.14 KiB) Viewed 158 times
paulderynck

RE: A Tactical question

Post by paulderynck »

Why not do both? At this point a Damage result should do the trick.
Paul
Orm

Post by Orm »

I would prioritize to port strike Copenhagen over placing the naval bombers in the sea area.
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
Orm

Post by Orm »

Although Paul might have a better suggestion. [:)]
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

I figure both are 50-50 propositions (actually 30-60) and you want to max the chances of the Allies being OoS in Finland. Of course if there are a bunch of strong CVs that can be sailed in against you, then your NAVs might not do all that well in a higher box.
Paul
palne

Post by palne »

Use the Nav to flip the CW stack in Finland and then attack the OoS until of Str2 with the Fins at about 6:1 blitz! Sure, the odds are against it, but songs would be sung if it worked...!

Phil
alexvand

Post by alexvand »

ORIGINAL: palne

Use the Nav to flip the CW stack in Finland and then attack the OoS until of Str2 with the Fins at about 6:1 blitz! Sure, the odds are against it, but songs would be sung if it worked...!

Phil

I considered this, but there's an HQ there just out of sight of the picture and he could use emergency supply to keep the units at full strength which could lead to a lot of dead Finns and an easily taken Helsinki.
palne

Post by palne »

LOL...I'll sing songs for you anyway!....(and it would probably be str4 anyway as it's white print which I missed in my haste to post).
AlbertN

Post by AlbertN »

Port Strike seems better to me as it is needed only a roll that is not superior to theirs by 2 or more (or they can avoid combat).
Though usually the loss of Copenhagen is pretty sour for the Axis - the Allies will be able to land pretty much anywhere in Germany and bring a ton of shore bombing power.

The production bonus, seeing where the Soviets are, should not be very relevant; but to have W.Allied suddenly landing behind riverlines and whatnot can litterally jeopardize any German defense line.

I'd start with the port strike but this is just delaying the unavoidable.
To counterattack in Denmark and try to seize Copenhagen should be a top priority in my eyes (Use marines crossing over seaside hexsides, airborne units and whatnot.)
palne

Post by palne »

And start making your plane reservations for South America....
alexvand

Post by alexvand »

ORIGINAL: Cohen

Port Strike seems better to me as it is needed only a roll that is not superior to theirs by 2 or more (or they can avoid combat).
Though usually the loss of Copenhagen is pretty sour for the Axis - the Allies will be able to land pretty much anywhere in Germany and bring a ton of shore bombing power.

The production bonus, seeing where the Soviets are, should not be very relevant; but to have W.Allied suddenly landing behind riverlines and whatnot can litterally jeopardize any German defense line.

I'd start with the port strike but this is just delaying the unavoidable.
To counterattack in Denmark and try to seize Copenhagen should be a top priority in my eyes (Use marines crossing over seaside hexsides, airborne units and whatnot.)

German Marine are just outside of Aden unfortunately. Along with the Italian Marines.

Re-Taking Denmark doesn't look very likely.
brian brian

Post by brian brian »

Yep, Churchill's boys should immediately land behind the Vistula, drive on Warsaw, and totally block the Commies from the rest of the red-titled important places in Europe. Nice work, Winnie would be proud.
brian brian

Post by brian brian »

Though I really have to wonder just how the Germans managed to hand Denmark to the CW like that, complete with an alliance with the Danish Military. Surprise end-of-turn roll would be my guess. Denmark shouldn't be handled carelessly.
AlbertN

Post by AlbertN »

ORIGINAL: brian brian

Though I really have to wonder just how the Germans managed to hand Denmark to the CW like that, complete with an alliance with the Danish Military. Surprise end-of-turn roll would be my guess. Denmark shouldn't be handled carelessly.

I learnt the hardway, realizing a bit late in a game that the Allies can land and easily block via ZoC the railroad; and can eventually dislodge in the plains unprepared German defenders that were just sitting in Hamburg.

It turned out in a drive in bombing the Allies before they could reach Copenhagen, and ready asap Air-TP with MNT units to ship oversea to the defence of Copenhagen via air. (That is actually how I discovered that Air-TP can lift MNT and PARA and not just PARA!)
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

Most likely the Danish MIL got rebuilt after Denmark was liberated.
Paul
alexvand

Post by alexvand »

Denmark was conquered by the Germans early in 1940.

The Germans were very short of Corp. Fighting in Aden, Iraq, Western Sahara, The Russian Bear, and still trying to keep some sort of garrison in France. They had to be weak somewhere. They tried holding Copenhagen with some troops thinking that reserves from Germany would be a strong enough reaction, but it wasn't enough. (Too many of those reserves were busy plugging holes in the East!)

The CW liberated Denmark and built the Mil just this past turn.
Centuur

Post by Centuur »

It depends on the supply rules you are using. If it is LOS, go for the port attack.

If it isn't, the CW needs to get a cruiser or two into the Baltic to get the units in Finland in supply and in such a case, I would elect to fly NAV's in the Baltic.

Peter

Return to “World in Flames”